PDA

View Full Version : Help restoring this trim piece?

Cvjeticanin
05-17-2015, 11:17 PM
I'm in the process of detailing a Z06 and I can't seem to restore the black plastic trim piece directly behind the front wheels.

I first cleaned it with Megs Degreaser along with Megs APC cleaner. I also used my steamer and gave it a final wipe down with IPO to make sure the trim was perfectly clean before using any product on it.

Then I tried using Solution Finishes Black Plastic Restorer. I thought this would bring the black color back but nothing. I then tried some UTTG Plus and again nothing.

Am I missing something or is this trim piece that stubborn? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jbirk
05-17-2015, 11:33 PM
What about a spray product that simply makes it glossy? I do not think you will ever make it black unless you start spraying paint.

davey g-force
05-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Hmm... they're two good products you used, so I'm surprised it didn't work out.

Is it just plastic? It's not that weird, fibrous stuff they use in some wheel wells is it?

Maybe it's real color is grey (not black)? Just thinking out loud...

Cvjeticanin
05-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Honestly...i have no idea. I tried my best but I didn't have any luck with it. Hopefully someone with a similar experience chimes in.

Muddyoldgoat
05-18-2015, 11:26 PM
I've had great results on old trim by cleaning with magic eraser and then dressing with Perl.

kevvyj
05-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Trim may have come in contact with abrasive chemical,leeching color from trim.I was trying to restore the black trim and used a degreaser.The degreaser caused spotting and took the color out of the trim.Solutions is a dye.It helped but still not perfect.Used a few coats of Black Wow and finished with Wipe New.Not perfect.

Skruf
05-19-2015, 09:05 PM
I've had good luck with Forever Black.

Cvjeticanin
05-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up just making it a bit glossier and the customer was happy. It definitely didn't look perfect but all we can do is try our best.