PDA

View Full Version : Is this Isuzu hood salvageable?

daddyj
05-17-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm detailing my neighbor's car, and the hood is in terrible shape. There are large rough sections where there seems to be little paint, however scratching with a fingernail seems to reveal a little paint underneath. I already used a clay bar to no avail.

The top part of the photo is the relatively un damaged paint, and the lower part is the darkened rough section.

Can this hood be saved, and if so, what product do I need?

Thanks.34492

trekkeruss
05-18-2015, 03:16 AM
It's difficult to tell by the photo, but from your description it is probably clear coat failure. There is no fix for that.

Paul A.
05-18-2015, 08:12 AM
I can tell you from my wife's experience with an Isuzu Axiom the clear failed after only a few short years. And that was with me maintaining it to Geek standards! That clear was either unbelievably thin or of sub par quality at best.

medicscott
05-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Paint thickness gauge the hood and see where the #'s fall...also an easier step would be to take a white towel or pad, and rub it with some compound & moderate pressure on the hood... look at the towel/pad and you should see some yellow on it if the clear has failed. If not, then you might have something to work with...just proceed very cautiously and i'd say use something very mild with minimal to no cut. Try Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. It has micro abrasives in it yet its super mild and works the best with a red or jewel pad on a 4 setting...mild product with fantastic results.