PDA

View Full Version : Problems with carpro reload, please help!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

dandiele
05-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, I am having some issues with CarPro Reload and I am looking for advice. Basically, I applied it to my car last weekend, I clayed using the speedy prep clay towel, polished the whole car using Wolfgang total swirl remover and a green CCS pad. The car looked awesome! I then used a paint prep product, apparently a Wurth product, its a petroleum based product to wipe down the whole car including the glass, I waited about 20 minutes before applying CarPro Reload.

This was on a saturday and we had heavy rains sunday evening, the car was beading water perfectly, Monday after work I wanted to wash off all the tree crap from the storm so I got out the pressure washer and to my surprise the water was not beading up but rather forming a solid sheet across the hood, roof etc and slowly receding from the edge. This does not appear to be normal for reload based on the multiple videos I watched before deciding to go with reload.

I spoke with Corey at CarPro and we concluded that possibly the paint prep wipe I used was not the best, and it may have left behind some residue in the paint and had not fully dried/evaporated. We decided I should try an IPA wipe down and so on wednesday I did just that, I diluted 91% isopropyl with distilled water to make roughly 40% solution and wiped down the whole car and reapplied, It rained Thursday and all seemed well.

Now this weekend, today I wanted to wash the car again because it rained last night and got tree crap all over the car again and today its doing the same thing, the water is forming a sheet over the whole surface and slowly receding from the edge, as if the car has no protection at all.

I also did my wife's car this weekend, and hers is doing the same thing. I took hers to the carwash to wash off the tree crap and hers is not beading up very well either, I used the dryer at the manual wash bay and the water sort of slides off and evaporates rather then the beads of water sliding off like i've seen in the videos.

I have video links uploaded to my google drive and would like you guys to take a look and see what you think, I am very frustrated and have used 3/4 of a bottle already, coating my car twice and hers once.

Water on the roof, this weekend after washing with meguirs gold class shampoo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jNmMUvlY80b4kgXZhsmf4V8ophueRnzgmw/view?usp=sharing

water on the trunk lid, this weekend after washing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oDM-wj74Mi8Pdy5omYbHeqeR9w7DL-OlmA/view?usp=sharing

This was after the first application, just a fresh water rinse, no soap. Notice how the water forms a sheet across the whole hood. Also, its hard to tell but under the passenger side mirror the water falls right off but on either side of the mirror the water sticks to the paint.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sHzZVuiwJVoCTc413B1cwoWgE9Tn7TXC4w/view?usp=sharing

And finally, a video showing the results after last saturdays initial application. This is the sunday after application, following this though, it appears as if Reload got rinsed off in the rain.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GTRnglRGCoUFeqS4yMR4Rh3Gs8yD7ZKScQ/view?usp=sharing

Lastly, let me say sorry for the long winded post!!! I have spoken with Corey at CarPro numerous times and I honestly do not know what to do next OR what I could possibly be doing wrong? Feed back please

Evan.J
05-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Hmmmmmmm ok I would try to do a test spot on a small area.

Tape off two sections and polish them both with the TSR. Next apply reload to one area and go grab a spray wax from Wally world and apply it to the other side.

Let's try process of elimination.

dandiele
05-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Hmmmmmmm ok I would try to do a test spot on a small area.

Tape off two sections and polish them both with the TSR. Next apply reload to one area and go grab a spray wax from Wally world and apply it to the other side.

Let's try process of elimination.

Ok, I can do that this week after work some day, I have a meguirs tech wax I think it is I can use. I am guessing based on your response this doesnt appear to be normal for reload? All of the videos I have seen the water acts like it cant get off the paint fast enough, like its afraid lol.

Evan.J
05-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Ok, I can do that this week after work some day, I have a meguirs tech wax I think it is I can use. I am guessing based on your response this doesnt appear to be normal for reload? All of the videos I have seen the water acts like it cant get off the paint fast enough, like its afraid lol.

It's not right at all IMO. I use reload a lot and I have never seen this. If you can get the tech wax to be hydrophobic on the same panel then IMO it would be the reload

dandiele
05-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Ok, the odd thing is reload seems to work as advertised shortly after application but then seems to lose its abilities after a rain. The tree crap I am referring to is a combo of little fuzzy tree things and pollen/sap ETC but a good wash should remove all of that. The whole reason I went with reload is because I used Griots best of show wax a few months back, after going through and polishing and it only seemed to last about a month before water stopped beading so I said to heck with carnauba. But at least it lasted more then a week :(

The car is a 2012 mustang. I got it used early fall so I am not sure what other products have ever been used on it, just for some background.

Evan.J
05-17-2015, 08:22 PM
All pollen will kill any beading or hydrophobic properties but after washing the vehicle those properties should return

dandiele
05-17-2015, 08:24 PM
All pollen will kill any beading or hydrophobic properties but after washing the vehicle those properties should return

Yea that is what Corey at CarPro said also. I told him I figured with Reload applied that the pollen ETC would rinse off easily but apparently that is not the case either. That was just an assumption on my part though.

dandiele
05-17-2015, 08:36 PM
I will update later this week when I get a chance to polish and reapply. Ill probably do 1 3rd of the hood and split that in half since its a large flat area to play with.

yount79
05-17-2015, 09:11 PM
My hydro2 is still going strong after all the tree crap many times over. Pollen shouldn't kill any beading. Hydro2 applied on may 1. Just my 2 cents

dandiele
05-17-2015, 09:29 PM
My hydro2 is still going strong after all the tree crap many times over. Pollen shouldn't kill any beading. Hydro2 applied on may 1. Just my 2 cents

Hmm that's interesting. I have no idea. Corey mentioned hydro2 today. Also mentioned maybe me trying sonus ion, that maybe the chemistry in the tree pollen in the area is affecting reload, that or meguirs gold class didn't remove it all but I imagine it did.

dandiele
05-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Crappy part is, I'll probably end up having to polish both cars all over again. About 5-6 hour process for me. Not thrilled about that...

Mask
05-17-2015, 10:05 PM
For me if I were to go after beadings characteristic, I use sonax Brilliant shine detailer.
For show look , a carnauba :)

dandiele
05-17-2015, 10:11 PM
For me if I were to go after beadings characteristic, I use sonax Brilliant shine detailer.
For show look , a carnauba :)

After applying reload, and even now the car is very glossy. I have been happy with everything about the way it looks, I just want the beading to be there for the effect, and for the ease of drying the car haha. BUT without the beading effect, it appears that the coating is not working or did not bond and got rinsed off. I think I am going to try carpro reset shampoo and see if it helps to remove any pollen/tree sap that maybe meguirs did not remove.

My biggest frustration with this whole thing is that I was hoping Reload would make the car easier to clean, because to be honest I get lazy and don't always wash the car at home. I cant wash it in the garage and its just a pain in the rear to do it in my driveway so I was hoping with reload I could use a touch free wash and have great results.

Mask
05-18-2015, 10:01 AM
You may want to look into coating if that is what you after :)
There's a thread where Mike P. use PBL coating on his wife silver Mercedes and remove bird droppings. Look around :D

dandiele
05-18-2015, 10:17 AM
You may want to look into coating if that is what you after :)
There's a thread where Mike P. use PBL coating on his wife silver Mercedes and remove bird droppings. Look around :D

I'll definitely look around. I had initially wanted to do a coating but since I have never done one and I'm admittedly a newb at this stuff, although I am very satisfied with my polishing results I was worried about doing a coating properly. I had wanted to do cquartz UK. BUT ultimately I'm kind of glad I hadn't because if I would have had the issues with cquartz that I'm having with reload I would be pretty bummed.