PDA

View Full Version : New Car - Need Product Advice

mattruggiero
05-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Hey all -

I'm looking for some advice. I just bought a new light silver Acura MDX and I want to keep it looking great.

I did research myself and I think that I want to get an AIO, a sealant and a wax. Do you guys have any product recommendations?

Thanks!

Ebg18t
05-17-2015, 01:09 PM
I did research myself and I think that I want to get an AIO, a sealant and a wax.

Thanks!

Why do you feel you want all 3 of those?

expdetailing
05-17-2015, 01:22 PM
First, congratulations on the new car.
Secondly, I own a silver vehicle as well and will give you my best advice on products.
For a sealant, in terms of look, IME, nothing is better than 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection. Others come close, but 4* is fantastic on silver.
As for waxes, any wax put over 4* will reduce that "bling" factor that 4* itself provides.
However, any sealant will lose some "bling," and the owner may want to refresh that bling. Waxes are good for this purpose.
Souveran wax is excellent at this. Same can be said for any wax AG makes, but I prefer Souveran for silver.
Make sure you buy a good clay from here to clay before you do any of this.
I heard Todd Helme say that BlackFire's clay is as aggressive as a clay can get, but won't scratch the paint.
DLux for your exterior plastics. DLux them before they go grey.

LaFawnduh
05-17-2015, 01:24 PM
BlackFIRE total polish and seal and Blackfire Crystal Seal. The combo is called "rapid fire" and is all you need.

trekkeruss
05-17-2015, 04:01 PM
I'm looking for some advice. I just bought a new light silver Acura MDX and I want to keep it looking great.

If you haven't read it already, start here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

I did research myself and I think that I want to get an AIO, a sealant and a wax. Do you guys have any product recommendations?

You can use an AIO all by itself; as the name implies, it cleans, polishes, and protects. If you use an AIO, you do not need (and shouldn't use) a sealant or wax. If you choose to use a dedicated finishing sealant or wax, you will want separate cleaners and polishes.

If you're not going to buy a machine polisher, IMO you shouldn't bother with separate products; it's too much work, and you probably won't get a better finish than using an AIO.

mattruggiero
05-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Why do you feel you want all 3 of those?

Honestly, just from reading the forum it sounded like it's what most people used. AIO to clean and slightly protect.. then a sealant for protection and a wax for that great deep look. It confused me why people use a AIO and sealant but as I said... just kinda seemed what people use.

mattruggiero
05-17-2015, 07:48 PM
First, congratulations on the new car.
Secondly, I own a silver vehicle as well and will give you my best advice on products.
For a sealant, in terms of look, IME, nothing is better than 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection. Others come close, but 4* is fantastic on silver.
As for waxes, any wax put over 4* will reduce that "bling" factor that 4* itself provides.
However, any sealant will lose some "bling," and the owner may want to refresh that bling. Waxes are good for this purpose.
Souveran wax is excellent at this. Same can be said for any wax AG makes, but I prefer Souveran for silver.
Make sure you buy a good clay from here to clay before you do any of this.
I heard Todd Helme say that BlackFire's clay is as aggressive as a clay can get, but won't scratch the paint.
DLux for your exterior plastics. DLux them before they go grey.

Thanks! I'm happy with the SUV. I haven't heard many people talk about the 4 Star product but I'll definitely look into it. Yea.. Ive heard finding a good clay is important. I used to think they were all the same. lol. Thanks for the recommendations.

mattruggiero
05-17-2015, 07:53 PM
If you haven't read it already, start here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

You can use an AIO all by itself; as the name implies, it cleans, polishes, and protects. If you use an AIO, you do not need (and shouldn't use) a sealant or wax. If you choose to use a dedicated finishing sealant or wax, you will want separate cleaners and polishes.

If you're not going to buy a machine polisher, IMO you shouldn't bother with separate products; it's too much work, and you probably won't get a better finish than using an AIO.

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Ok, I thought people used an AIO basically as their polisher. At least that's what I gathered from reading the forums. Although as with anything.. everyone has their own opinion. It did confuse me why people use AIO and then sealant. I do plan on purchasing a polisher.

mattruggiero
05-17-2015, 07:53 PM
BlackFIRE total polish and seal and Blackfire Crystal Seal. The combo is called "rapid fire" and is all you need.

I'll look into it. I have heard good things about their products. :)

Ebg18t
05-17-2015, 09:23 PM
I would take a step back and evaluate the paint. If you have some deeper swirls think about a light compound or just going over the whole car with polish to get the deepest clear you can. Then seal it up.

Polish: Menzerna SF4000 or CarPro a Reflect
Sealant: Wolfgang Sealant or Menzerna Power Lock

Or BlackFire Total polish then Crystal sealant

Or Wolfgang AIO then apply the Wolfgang Sealant

keep it nice and simple. Good luck

mattruggiero
05-18-2015, 02:17 PM
I would take a step back and evaluate the paint. If you have some deeper swirls think about a light compound or just going over the whole car with polish to get the deepest clear you can. Then seal it up.

Polish: Menzerna SF4000 or CarPro a Reflect
Sealant: Wolfgang Sealant or Menzerna Power Lock

Or BlackFire Total polish then Crystal sealant

Or Wolfgang AIO then apply the Wolfgang Sealant

keep it nice and simple. Good luck

The paint is clean. I did a bag test on the paint this weekend when I washed the car and it felt great. I don't see any swirling so I'm thinking a non-abrasive polish and then either the Menzerna or Wolfgang. After seeing photos and reviews of both products.. I don't think that I can go wrong with either. Thanks for the suggestion!