PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning oxidation from FRP

Harley
09-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi all,

I have a Freightliner Toterhome that the living quarters are constructed of FRP (fiberglass reinforced plywood). It has become quite oxidized over time, since we haven't been able to find a product that works. Then I found this site. Can ANYONE help! We're not a professional body shop, so have mercy on us with the technical stuff.
Thanks!

sparkie
09-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi all,

I have a Freightliner Toterhome that the living quarters are constructed of FRP (fiberglass reinforced plywood). It has become quite oxidized over time, since we haven't been able to find a product that works. Then I found this site. Can ANYONE help! We're not a professional body shop, so have mercy on us with the technical stuff.
Thanks!
Do you have any pics? Dose it have factory paint on top of gel coat or is it that plastic coating?

Harley
09-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi Sparkie,

I'll get some pic's today and post them.

It is just plastic coating. We thought about painting it to resolve the problem, but would rather fix what we have instead.

I appreciate you trying to help!

Harley
09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Here's a picture of the side. As you can see, we've tried many things, but they all cause it to looks worse than when we start.

Harley
09-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Here's a second shot.

I heard about Vertglas. Any opinions??

Jimmie
09-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Just a wild guess if you are up to experimenting but "DP Plex All" might be a good try. It does a great job on interior auto plastic.

Harley
09-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Jimmie,

I would be game to try anything! I looked up Plex All on Autogeek and this is what it said:
DP Plex-All™ is not intended to remove cloudiness since this is an indication of oxidation. Use a plastic polishing system, such as the Diamondite Clear Plastic Kit, and then use DP Plex-All™ regularly to maintain the shine and clarity.
Have you had any experience with the Diamondite kit? As I mentioned earlier, we are by NO means body shop techs, it would have to be SIMPLE.

sparkie
09-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Harley, sorry so late getting back to you. I think Duragloss #501 will take care of it.
Duragloss Marine RV Polish #501 cleans, polishes, and shines gelcoat fiberglass boat and RV finishes. Duragloss durable boat and RV polishes. (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-marine-rv-polish--501.html)

Harley
09-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks Sparkie! I'll purchase some as soon as I leave here. Hopefully, it' won't swirl and streak like the previous products we've used. We really have made a mess of it!

Thanks again!
Harley