PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice... Lunar Blue Mercedes

johnm304
05-16-2015, 10:06 PM
I purchased a used Lunar Blue Mercedes two weeks ago. The paint is in VERY good shape - no swirls and a pretty smooth finish, although the trunk lid is a little "bumpy".

I am looking to do a round of detailing next weekend, so I'd love some product advice. Here's what my current plan is, based on what I have in my garage at the moment.

Please chime in... I don't want to make a mistake... she's my new love :)

1. Meguiars Gold Glass Soap
2. Meguiars smooth surface clay
3. Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Buff and Shine blue pad
4. Mirror glaze #7 WHAT Pad???
5. NXT 2.0, Buff and Shine white

As you can see... I have a quite a few Meguiars products, but I am open to suggestions.

Thank you!

Mask
05-17-2015, 01:24 AM
Congrats in your new Mercedes :)
Your detail list looks cool ^^
For me, I would only compound if polishing doesn't work.
Machine apply polish and wax makes life so much easier too.

I also recommend looking into Meguiars detailer line:
D114
D156
D101
D108
M205

Looking forward for your beautiful after pictures :D

johnm304
05-17-2015, 05:27 AM
Congrats in your new Mercedes :)
Your detail list looks cool ^^
For me, I would only compound if polishing doesn't work.
Machine apply polish and wax makes life so much easier too.

I also recommend looking into Meguiars detailer line:
D114
D156
D101
D108
M205

Looking forward for your beautiful after pictures :D

Is Meguair's Detailer line significantly better than there consumer line? (After spending $$$$ on a car, I don't mind spending a little bit more to get the right product.)

And, you caught a typo... I have Meguiar's ultimate POLISH. (Never had paint that needed compound... no idea where that came from!)

Thank you! I will definitely post a pic or 2.

Ebg18t
05-17-2015, 08:12 AM
When you say the trunk is bumpy, is it contaminated? Bad paint?

Do you plan on decontaminating the paint (Iron-X)? If not I highly suggest it before spending the time on next steps.

I am not a Meguires fan, so no suggestions from me on those products.

johnm304
05-17-2015, 08:53 AM
When you say the trunk is bumpy, is it contaminated? Bad paint?

Do you plan on decontaminating the paint (Iron-X)? If not I highly suggest it before spending the time on next steps.

I am not a Meguires fan, so no suggestions from me on those products.

It's not bad paint... just surface contamination I think. My best guess is tree sap. Odd though that the hood seems to be in fine shape. I think the clay should be able to take care of it.

I am not necessarily a Meguiars fan either; my local auto parts store stocks a pretty decent selection of Meguiars and... Turtle Wax. I rarely plan detailing adventures ahead of time. I am hoping to get an order together today or tomorrow from Autogeek so I have a broader range to choose from.

If you have any suggestions outside of Meguairs, I'm all ears!

Don M
05-17-2015, 08:54 AM
I purchased a used Lunar Blue Mercedes two weeks ago. The paint is in VERY good shape - no swirls and a pretty smooth finish, although the trunk lid is a little "bumpy".

I am looking to do a round of detailing next weekend, so I'd love some product advice. Here's what my current plan is, based on what I have in my garage at the moment.

Please chime in... I don't want to make a mistake... she's my new love :)

1. Meguiars Gold Glass Soap
2. Meguiars smooth surface clay
3. Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Buff and Shine blue pad
4. Mirror glaze #7 WHAT Pad???
5. NXT 2.0, Buff and Shine white

As you can see... I have a quite a few Meguiars products, but I am open to suggestions.

Thank you!

Unless the car has single stage paint (no clearcoat) then you would use the #7. If it has clear, there is no point in the 7, the Ultimate Polish has plenty of the trade secret oils in it.

The Detailer and Professional Lines are a bit different than the consumer products, but if you're just starting out, then I would stick with the consumer line, they're more forgiving. The exception would be that with the pro and detailer lines you can buy in bulk which offsets the cost a bit, things such as their glass cleaner, Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ult Quik Wax, car wash soap, plastic and rubber dressings and cleaners and so on ...

rms64
05-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Greetings...may want to check out the thread below for some excellent information on (potentially) your new car's paint:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html

johnm304
05-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Greetings...may want to check out the thread below for some excellent information on (potentially) your new car's paint:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html

Thanks for the heads up... just checked my paint code, it is not ceramiclear. The paint have virtually no swirls or scratches - I had thought for a moment that it might have been ceramiclear.

johnm304
05-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Unless the car has single stage paint (no clearcoat) then you would use the #7. If it has clear, there is no point in the 7, the Ultimate Polish has plenty of the trade secret oils in it.

The Detailer and Professional Lines are a bit different than the consumer products, but if you're just starting out, then I would stick with the consumer line, they're more forgiving. The exception would be that with the pro and detailer lines you can buy in bulk which offsets the cost a bit, things such as their glass cleaner, Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ult Quik Wax, car wash soap, plastic and rubber dressings and cleaners and so on ...

Gotcha! thank you.

Mask
05-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Is Meguair's Detailer line significantly better than there consumer line? (After spending $$$$ on a car, I don't mind spending a little bit more to get the right product.)

And, you caught a typo... I have Meguiar's ultimate POLISH. (Never had paint that needed compound... no idea where that came from!)

Thank you! I will definitely post a pic or 2.

What Don M said ^^
I started out using Meguiars consumer range years ago but the price here is crazy.
For me will be branding option since a bottle carpro iron x 500ml cost cheaper than ultimate polish 16oz here : 18 USD vs 23 USD
Over the years I tried many products (not all) and I now only look for local accessibility and price.
I use:
D114 (1:15) for glass / waterless /QD & clay lube
D101 (1:9) for interior cleaning
D108 (1:5) for interior tough stain/ exterior and engine.
D156 for drying aid after every wash
D110 for me work a little better than gold class soap.

I might add M26 later since everyone seems to like it for show LOOK :)

Ebg18t
05-17-2015, 10:42 AM
It's not bad paint... just surface contamination I think. My best guess is tree sap. Odd though that the hood seems to be in fine shape. I think the clay should be able to take care of it.

I am not necessarily a Meguiars fan either; my local auto parts store stocks a pretty decent selection of Meguiars and... Turtle Wax. I rarely plan detailing adventures ahead of time. I am hoping to get an order together today or tomorrow from Autogeek so I have a broader range to choose from.

If you have any suggestions outside of Meguairs, I'm all ears!

Since you are saying the paint is in good condition after claying I would polish with Menzerna SF4500 or CarPro Refect then Seal with Menzerna PowerLock. Menzerna SF & CarPro Reflect really enhance the depth of the paint. Menzerna PowerLock is a easy to use sealant that looks awesome. An alternative to PowerLock is the Wolfgang sealant. Solid protection and good quality!

johnm304
05-22-2015, 07:36 AM
Since you are saying the paint is in good condition after claying I would polish with Menzerna SF4500 or CarPro Refect then Seal with Menzerna PowerLock. Menzerna SF & CarPro Reflect really enhance the depth of the paint. Menzerna PowerLock is a easy to use sealant that looks awesome. An alternative to PowerLock is the Wolfgang sealant. Solid protection and good quality!

Just to make sure I got this right... I can use the buff & shine blue pad with the SF4500 and buff & shine white with the powerlock?

Running behind on my detailing project, already!

Ebg18t
05-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Just to make sure I got this right... I can use the buff & shine blue pad with the SF4500 and buff & shine white with the powerlock?

Running behind on my detailing project, already!

With buff & shine you can polish (using SF) with white, green or blue depending on how much cut you need as all 3 of those are polishing pads.

Apply PowerLock with black pad.

I use lake flat pads so my buff & shine pad experience is limited. I don't know how different blue, green & white really are, but they are all polishing pads, black is a finishing pad.