PDA

View Full Version : Leather conditioning ?

Pages : [1] 2

thedoc46
05-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I have two cars with leather. A 2013 VW Tiguan with beige leather which is the kid carrier and therefore gets used a lot, and a 2015 VW Gti which only has me driving it, and the leather will stay clean and perfect so to speak.

On the Tiguan today I used some Meguiars APC @ 4:1 and a scrubbing brush and basically made it look brand new again. It wasn't all that dirty, but the leather cleaner I had didn't really clean it, so it was starting to look used. A quick spritz of APC and a scrub brought it back to as clean as it was the day we picked her up.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should be conditioning the leather while the cars are still new and the leather is in great condition.

What comes highly recommended?

Ebg18t
05-16-2015, 05:45 PM
I have used Leather Master conditioner in the past on my VW/Audi/Porsche leather. I am currently just using Ultima Interior Trim Guard. Offers good protection.

FUNX650
05-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Just Say No...to "conditioning".

Rather it's:
Clean and Protect!

Since you've already Cleaned
(and are pleased with the results)...

Then...Protect with this:
Leather Master Car Interior Leather Protection Cream, leather conditioner, leather protector (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-protection-cream.html)

Bob

thedoc46
05-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Being that the leather is actually clear coated though, does the leather protection cream, do anything other than put a coating over the coating?

In other words is it really doing anything to preserve the leather itself.

Has there been any conclusive long term tests done for auto leather protection?

I am interested in getting the correct protection, if indeed one exists.

I've heard that people use Megs D149, Quik Interior Detailer as that has some UV protection properties.

Also D156 which is their synthetic x-press wax, which surely adds a protective layer of synthetic sealant over the water based coating on the leather. Seems to make sense to me.

Anyway, if this Leather Master car interior is the real deal, i'll get some, but leather protection is one of those raised eyebrow kinda products.

Paul A.
05-17-2015, 02:03 PM
This subject continues to get me to open a thread every time because i still don't fully understand what is the definitive BEST way to care for leather.

I continue to attempt to "condition" my leather based on it being a formally organic membrane on some bovine. I have also read it is porous and suffers from drying out over time. My thinking is to keep it both clean and then "moist". I use a Woolite mix to clean and several different "conditioners" to keep it soft and supple. My new favorite is Leather Masters. I've used Leatherique for years but that stuff gets too expensive for me.

WAXOFF
05-17-2015, 02:18 PM
What model Tiguan do you have?

FUNX650
05-17-2015, 02:19 PM
I have used Leather Master conditioner in the past on my VW/Audi/Porsche leather.

I continue to attempt to "condition" my leather

I use a Woolite mix to clean and several different
"conditioners" to keep it soft and supple.

My new favorite is Leather Masters.
I didn't know that Leather Master's had
any leather conditioner(s).

So if you guys wouldn't mind:
What is the name/product number of this/these
Leather Master's leather conditioner(s)?

TIA.

Bob

SYMAWD
05-17-2015, 02:21 PM
What model Tiguan do you have?

I was going to ask the same thing. He has leatherette (vinyl) unless he has the SEL.

Paul A.
05-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Well, now that you asked Bob and i couldn't remember the specific name of it, i just looked and it is, in fact, the leather protection cream from LM. Since i've been using it and because of its consistency and application, i may have incorrectly assumed it was more of a conditioning cream meant to moisten the hide. Having just revisited the product page on AG, it is listed as a protection barrier. Forgive me for misinterpreting exactly what it does but it does feel nice after application and feels almost like it softens my leather. Another reason i should not assume.

Good to now know and thanks for asking for the clarification. I continue to learn a s***load from this site! :props:

Ebg18t
05-17-2015, 03:38 PM
I didn't know that Leather Master's had
any leather conditioner(s).

So if you guys wouldn't mind:
What is the name/product number of this/these
Leather Master's leather conditioner(s)?

TIA.

Bob

I usually try to avoid responding to you based on how you like to find ways to remark in a snide format.

I mis-used the word 'conditioner' as we both know they don't make a 'conditioner'. Historically I have used Leather Vital followed with Protection creme. IMHO Vital keeps leather nice and soft (conditioner).

Ebg18t
05-17-2015, 03:40 PM
I was going to ask the same thing. He has leatherette (vinyl) unless he has the SEL.

Seems like ever Tiggy I have seen has the leatherette. But I will saw the leatherette does hold up well.

frankprozzoly
05-17-2015, 03:45 PM
I use leather masters, it does seem to make the leather feel soft. Lately though after i clean with leather masters i use zaino cause that smell they've bottled up is pretty awesome. Can someone show a pic of the type of brush you use to clean. My seats are clean so I've been using a MF and just wiping

SYMAWD
05-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Seems like ever Tiggy I have seen has the leatherette. But I will saw the leatherette does hold up well.

2013 and prior SELs are leather. 2014+ R-lines are also leather. (2014+ SELs are leatherette)

FUNX650
05-17-2015, 03:50 PM
I usually try to avoid responding to you based on how you like to find ways to remark in a snide format.

I mis-used the word 'conditioner' as we both know they don't make a 'conditioner'. Historically I have used Leather Vital followed with Protection creme. IMHO Vital keeps leather nice and soft (conditioner).
I usually don't respond to anyone that tries to degrade me
in any way, form, or fashion...
but I must make an exception this time.

As such:
When trying to set the record straight about detailing
products and their formulated purposes....
It really doesn't matter to me if you think my previous postings seem snide to you, or not.

BTW:
You're still incorrectly describing a Leather Master product
as a "conditioner"!

Bob

d33p
05-17-2015, 03:50 PM

I agree so I always avoid his posts!

There are leather products that use the term condition, enrich, moisturize and such. It's funny after all these years of leather car that we all still don't know what's what when it comes to leather.

....and no don't put d156 on your leather, good God. I prefer to use whatever keeps my leather matte, not shiny in any way as it looks cheesy to me. Tried Gliptone and just bought leatherique but haven't had the chance to use it as the process is way more intensive.