PDA

View Full Version : Handle or no handle?

CC268
05-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Hey guys,

Just got my GG6, can't wait to try it out! I have never used a polisher before, but I have done my research and watched a million videos!

Anyways, I think I remember reading in Mike Phillip's book that he prefers no handle (although I could be mistaken). What is your guys' opinion?

rms64
05-16-2015, 01:19 PM
I left the handle on my and find it helps.

Try it both ways and see what's most comfortable for you and congrats!

DaveT435
05-16-2015, 01:33 PM
I prefer no handle. I would try it both ways and see which is more comfortable for you.

tw33k2514
05-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Feel like I have more control with no handle.

-note 4 powered by T-Mobile

Jbirk
It is all about personal preference... what works for Mike may not work for you, etc. What is important is that you keep the pad FLAT and work surgically clean with the right techniques, pads, products, and pressure.

I now that does not help, but mark the backing plate and put down enough pressure to slow but not stop it while keeping it flat.

swanicyouth
I use the handle - simply because I'm too lazy to take it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Souldetailer
05-16-2015, 01:47 PM
It is all about personal preference... what works for Mike may not work for you, etc. What is important is that you keep the pad FLAT and work surgically clean with the right techniques, pads, products, and pressure.

I now that does not help, but mark the backing plate and put down enough pressure to slow but not stop it while keeping it flat.

:iagree: Btw i removed the handle, I prefer it.

Roger T
05-16-2015, 02:04 PM
I have a Porter Cable 7424XP, a Meguiars MT300, and a Harbor Freight DA polishers. I removed the handles from all three because I can apply greater pressure straight onto the pad easier and is less tiring.

Try it with and without a handle and see what you think.

Hope this helps.

Roger T

Paul A.
05-16-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm another no handle guy here, including my rotary. I like the same thing mentioned by Roger T above i.e. I like to exert some pressure directly above the center of the pad and insure it remains flat on the paint.

irvsmith
05-16-2015, 08:13 PM
No handle - helps ensure the polisher is flat and equal pressure on the paint.

VISITOR
05-16-2015, 08:44 PM
you could leave the handle on and apply pressure under it like you would if it wasn't there, but it might bump it or it may get in the way of you have tight areas you need to get to. try it out for yourself and see what is to your liking...

Recon 4th 502nd
06-13-2015, 12:33 PM
I have a Porter Cable 7424XP, a Meguiars MT300, and a Harbor Freight DA polishers. I removed the handles from all three because I can apply greater pressure straight onto the pad easier and is less tiring.

Try it with and without a handle and see what you think.

Hope this helps.

Roger T

Hello Roger,

You own the Meg's MT300 and the GG6".....:xyxthumbs:

Then you are the man I need to talk to because it has boiled down to these 2 choices for me. (New to machine polishing)

I'll be using the DA 2-3 times per year as a diy-er on my personal vehicles.
I've heard nothing but outstanding reviews of the GG 6" but with some minor complaints of Vibration and somewhat clumsy speed and on and off switches.
The Job is important to me but so is Comfort and a Pleasurable Experience.
I'm leaning towards the GG 6" for the Price Point and That Warranty....since I won't be using the machine on a daily basis.

If you would sir, please provide your critique of the 2 Machines.... particularly an Ergonomics Compare and Contrast as I'm sure both will get the job done.

If you had to pick one of the two, Which One and Why?

Appreciate any advice.