PDA

View Full Version : Glass Care.

DogRescuer
05-15-2015, 04:34 PM
I know amonia will fade tint but someone suggested denatured alcohol for glass (its awesome poweraid) but will it harm tint, anyone?

Rsurfer
05-15-2015, 05:20 PM
5-15 percent IPA should be safe for tint.

DogRescuer
05-15-2015, 07:45 PM
thanks but that's not denatured alchol.

DogRescuer
05-16-2015, 06:19 AM
So knowone has any thoughts?

Don M
05-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Personally, I use Meguiar's Ult Quik Detailer for my windows. Spray onto a (water) dampened microfiber cloth, wipe down glass, then immediately buff with a dry microfiber.

Ebg18t
05-16-2015, 06:44 AM
I only use InvisiGlass on tint since I know it is safe. Not worth risking damage to someone's tint.

Stoner Invisible Glass Pump Spray: Non-aerosol formula cleans automotive glass to crystal clarity! clean glass, windshield cleaner, window cleaner, (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-cleaner.html)

I use IUDJ on non tinted glass.

FUNX650
05-16-2015, 07:47 AM

thanks but that's not denatured alchol.
Yea...But:
Although Methyl Alcohol is the most common denaturant
found in Denatured Alcohol (Methylated Spirits)...
IPA is sometimes used as one of the "denaturants" that's been added to make ethyl alcohol mixtures poisonous for human consumption.

So the question begs:
Why would you want to use a poisonous product that is, ideally, not something you'd ever want to get on your vehicle's paint; and whose intake of its mist/fumes are also not ideal for the body-human?

Instead of using some kind of "Rubbing Alcohol" as an auto-glass cleaner...I'll suggest to get some tint-safe
auto-glass cleaner like Meguiar's D120 or Sprayway #050.

Bob

swanicyouth
05-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Coming from a pharmaceutical perspective, "denatured alcohol" is always ethanol with *something* added so you will not be tempted to drink it. The reason being is because ethanol is the same alcohol that makes you drunk in beer, wine, and liquor. When ethanol is sold as "rubbing alcohol", it's not taxed (traditional alcohol tax) or regulated. So, they usually add some IPA so kids and winos won't drink it.

I've never heard of "denatured IPA" - it kind of defeats the point.

Some people still will drink denatured alcohol. Wacko.

All this being said, if I had tinted windows, I would just use ONR 1:16 to clean them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mask
05-16-2015, 10:37 AM
I use Meguiars D114 :)