PDA

View Full Version : Coating detail package for front end?

Busy mind
05-15-2015, 03:39 PM
This is a business related question but I'll post here since it's probably a basic 101 type inquiry.....

I'm thinking of offering a "commuter" package where I compound and polish the hood and bumper to the best of my ability, then add one of the many coatings available. Possibly coat the wheels as well or just use a high temp wheel wax and a sealant on the rest of the car. Just testing the waters with this.

Would it look ridiculous to have the front end polished and shiny?

My reasons for thinking about this is that it could all be done in one day easily, and it's getting my feet wet working with coatings. Perhaps if the customer likes the results then they'd want the entire car coated at some point.

Is this ridiculous or what?

BitterGreg
05-15-2015, 03:43 PM
An idea is never ridiculous if someone is willing to pay you for it.

I personally like the idea, and think if sold the right way could be a good money maker.

Busy mind
05-16-2015, 12:02 PM
An idea is never ridiculous if someone is willing to pay you for it.

I personally like the idea, and think if sold the right way could be a good money maker.

Thanks for the response. I haven't seen a car with only a couple panels coated so that's why i thought it may be a strange idea.

I thought it might capture the interest of some people who aren't even shopping for a detail, if I can sell the functionality of the coating.

Kyle_Elantra
05-16-2015, 11:56 PM
That's a good idea, maybe coat the windshield and side mirrors too.

I have my front end coated to help with cleaning up after my commute, but I like playing with different LSPs on all the other panels. All of my glass is coated, so are my wheels and tires, but the roof, trunk, sides, and rear panels all have a different LSP.

Busy mind
05-18-2015, 12:12 AM
That's a good idea, maybe coat the windshield and side mirrors too.

I have my front end coated to help with cleaning up after my commute, but I like playing with different LSPs on all the other panels. All of my glass is coated, so are my wheels and tires, but the roof, trunk, sides, and rear panels all have a different LSP.

Is there a noticeable difference between the front end and the rest of your car? I know that some coatings will darken the color. Which coating did you apply?
Thanks for the reply.

Kyle_Elantra
05-18-2015, 01:40 PM
I have OC 2.0 on my bumper, DP Paint coating on my hood, Pinnacle paint coating on my front fenders, Opti Lens on my headlights and fog lights, DG coating on the paint on my mirrors, and my glass is coated between OC 2.0 and DP glass coating.

No visible difference unless it's raining or I hit a lot of bugs. The OC 2.0 doesnt' seem to allow as many bugs to collect on the bumper. Pollen still sticks to everything but the waxed portions do show it a bit more - most of it flies off the coatings at speed.