PDA

View Full Version : Hazed Wax Removal

mesmeral
05-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Hi all, I am new to this forum and would appreciate some advice for the following.

I have a Bosch GPO 12CE Rotary Polisher with a M14 spindle.

I did a bit of reading around and it seems that a microfiber bonnet over a foam pad will be best for removing wax. However, I am not sure what combination of backing plate, foam pad and microfiber bonnet i will need to buy from this site.
Can anyone advise please? Thank you so much!Feed back please

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure anyone removes wax with a rotary polisher, or even a DA anymore. If you must, you can try this: Dual Action Microfiber Bonnet Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-bonnet.html)

mesmeral
05-15-2015, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure anyone removes wax with a rotary polisher, or even a DA anymore. If you must, you can try this: Dual Action Microfiber Bonnet Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-bonnet.html)

Hi there,

Sorry if i sound a little obsolete! But how do they remove wax these days?

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2015, 10:38 AM
With a towel. We try not to put it on too thick, so it doesn't take a machine to remove it.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of people removed with a DA, I just don't hear that too often anymore. A lot of people apply with a DA, I typically don't do either.

mesmeral
05-15-2015, 10:48 AM
With a towel. We try not to put it on too thick, so it doesn't take a machine to remove it.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of people removed with a DA, I just don't hear that too often anymore. A lot of people apply with a DA, I typically don't do either.

Hi Setec,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Regarding the kit you mentioned, will I be needing a backing plate as well?

I need a kit that can work with my Bosch Rotary Polisher.

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Do you have a backing plate already?

mesmeral
05-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Yes I have a backing plate already but it is 180mm diameter. Hence I do not think the MF bonnet can be a good fit.

I was hoping to buy a backing plate that can be used together with the DA Microfiber bonnet.

mesmeral
05-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Can I use the Meguiars Rotary Buffer W64 Backing Plate, 5 Inches?

Says that the DA Microfiber bonnet can be used on a 5 inch backing plate.

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2015, 11:11 AM
I think that Meguiar's backing plate will have a 5/8-11 thread, not the M14 thread your machine has.

mesmeral
05-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Hi Setec,

the Bosch polisher came with a 5/8-11 Male M14 Female adapter.

Does this mean i can then use the meguiar backing plate?

T MARK
05-15-2015, 11:34 AM
I need to try this thread. I too am having trouble removing a product. Mine is not wax but "Vitreo" It goes like this=

I washed my coach and a few days later began on the roof: no problems.

A few days later I began on a side at the rear and worked forward: still no problem.

Then, a few days later, doing the same as usual, I moved forward. However this time the product went on and would NOT buff off.

I tried many things; new pad to apply product, new bonnets to start afresh, washing pads, hand wiping with different cloths. All to no avail.

But, one thing did work. That was to spray an area with DP waterless car wash and wipe and then immediately dry with another cloth before the previous step was allowed to dry by itself.

I use a Porter Cable DA and have always had good results. But now I'm stumped. Can anyone suggest something to help me get a move along and get this job finished?

Thanks to all, Mark

Don M
05-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Hi there,

Sorry if i sound a little obsolete! But how do they remove wax these days?

Many of us use a PC or similar machine, with a no-cut foam pad to apply wax and most of us use a microfiber towel and remove the wax by hand. A machine is really not necessary since all the grunt work (compounding and polishing) has already been done by machine and hand removal is simply the gentlest way to remove wax. That said, I've never hear of someone using a rotary to remove wax ... although that's not to say it can't be done.

mesmeral
05-16-2015, 03:06 AM
Quick question here. Can the W64 meguiars rotary backing plate, 6 inch lambswool leveling pad and 6 inch microfiber bonnet be a good fit for each other?

Read that the leveling pad and MF bonnet will work with a 5 inch backing plate.