PDA

View Full Version : Wasted step?

cstegs
05-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Ok, so in my arsenal I have Meg's ultimate polish, ps1s gloss enhancing polish, and p21s carnauba wax.

From looking at autopias polish abrasive chart ultimate polish has a rating of 4 and p21s gloss enhancing has a rating of 1. Can I use my da to put on the ultimate polish with a white lcc pad, then use a white lcc pad to apply the p21s gloss enhancing, then apply the wax?

Or would putting on two "polishes" be a wasted step?

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2015, 09:37 AM
I personally don't think you need to use the GEPC (P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser). That's really more of a surface prep if you weren't doing a polish step.

Zubair
05-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Megs UP has a cut of 2/10 and gloss of 10/10. You would only follow it up with an lsp of your choice. Using a cleaner afterwards would remove the glazing oils of UP.

The Guz
05-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Curious as to how you came up with that 2/10 number.

FUNX650
05-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Me too.
That, and the 10/10 number as well.

I honest don't believe that Meguiar's rates their Consumer
products with an "abrasive/cut/aggressiveness" scale...
like they do with their Pro lines:
Something about not wanting to cause confusion for
Joe and Jane Lunchbucket.

I also keep in mind:
Cut/Abrasiveness/Aggressiveness also depends on the pad,
buffing time, downward pressure, size of work area, arm speed, etc.

Bob

Zubair
05-15-2015, 03:17 PM
I got the cut and gloss off polished bliss website. It seems accurate as it cuts slightly less than SF4000. I dont think we allowed to post links here else I would have.

Zubair
05-15-2015, 03:26 PM

I sent you a PM with a link that clearly states cut and gloss.

FUNX650
05-15-2015, 04:07 PM
I got the cut and gloss off polished bliss website. It seems accurate as it cuts slightly less than SF4000. I dont think we allowed to post links here else I would have.
I, for one, really can't accept Polished Bliss' specifications regarding Meguiar's products' cut/gloss ratings.

For example:
Polished Bliss also states that Meguiar's Ultimate
Compound has a cut of five (5)...
and we know that is a completely wrong assessment.

TO WIT:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23561-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html

Bob

Riff
05-15-2015, 04:16 PM
What about Todd Helmes' polish aggressiveness chart?

http://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-correction-and-gloss-enhancement/37092-autopia-carcare-polish-comparison-chart.html

It looks like UP is slightly more aggressive than Menzerna 4000.

Zubair
05-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Megs Ultimate Compound cut 6/10 gloss 8/10 according to Polished Bliss.

Also Todd's chart shows UP to be 3/10 and SF4000 3/10 too-106FA not 085RD

FUNX650
05-15-2015, 05:04 PM
What about Todd Helmes' polish aggressiveness chart?

Autopia-CarCare Polish Comparison Chart (http://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-correction-and-gloss-enhancement/37092-autopia-carcare-polish-comparison-chart.html)

I don't know about the total-accuracy of Todd's scale;
that is: when just comparing Meguiar's products on his
scale...with those same Meguiar's products on Meguiar's
very own polish-chart's scale:

-Todd's scale maxes out at a "10".
-Meguiar's scale maxes out at a "12".

Bob

Mike Phillips
05-18-2015, 06:22 AM
Or would putting on two "polishes" be a wasted step?

Applying the Gloss Enhancing Polish after using a true polish would be a wasted step.

The P21S Gloss Enhancing Polish is a non-abrasive paint cleaner. So this is one of those either/or situations.

You either use the P21S Gloss Enhancing Polish or you use the Ultimate Polish but not both.

Technically the P21S is a Paint Cleaner also called a Pre-wax Cleaner. The UP is a fine cut polish. Any fine cut polish will do everything a paint cleaner will do and more.

A paint cleaner will not do what a fine cut polish will do as it only cleans the surface. A fine cut polish, because it has abrasives will clean the surface PLUS remove any fine swirls and scratch as well as other minor below surface paint defects.

Read through this article, it explains a lot....

Word Definitions - Compounds, Polishes, Glazes, Paint Cleaners and Waxes (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39020-word-definitions-compounds-polishes-glazes-paint-cleaners-waxes.html)

And for what it's worth... I never reference anyone's scale or chart. If I need a compound I use a true compound. If I need a polish, be it a medium cut, fine cut or ultra fine cut, then I choose and use the right polish.

Trust in the name on the label, start with a test spot and move forward with the project.

:)

Paul A.
05-18-2015, 08:06 AM
I agree with Setec and Mike that the P21S GEPC would be a wasted effort if using Megs UP before your LSP. I love GEPC but for my already defect free car before LSP. If i'm going to use any abrasive product i figure, like Mike said, i'm cleaning the paint pretty darn good and never waste my time going over it with GEPC. I do, however, like an Eraser wipe down before LSP.

As a side note, i love Menzerna's product labelling for gauging exactly what i need for cut. For those products that may have nebulous labels I have used Mike's method of relying on what i know THAT product will do with THIS pad on THIS paint. Just saying that, sometimes, Menzerna helps my test spots better. Not saying i haven't used the many cut/finish product tables to maybe narrow down what i might want to try but personal experience many times differs with where someone put it on the "chart".

dlc95
05-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Polish on a white CCS is an absolute pleasure to use.

Dereksdtail
05-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Polish on a white CCS is an absolute pleasure to use.

Used this combo yesterday, the finish is pure gloss!