PDA

View Full Version : New car detail recommendation

equalme
05-15-2015, 01:52 AM
Hi all!

I've already read through the new car detail guide but still had a few questions.

I have about 300 miles on the new car and got the full front end wrapped in xpel ultimate about 100 miles ago.

Now I read about sealants and waxes. I have a unopened bottle of Adam's Buttery Wax but can't decide if I should use a sealant prior to the buttery wax, if so, which would be best to use? This is my daily driver that will see Houston's nasty wet weather and mainly parked under a carport (Detailing will all be done by elbow grease)

Thanks for helping out a clueless detailer!

HUMP DIESEL
05-15-2015, 06:59 AM
Sealant before wax is typically the M.O. Adams doesn't make a sealant, but they do make a glaze.
I can only assume that the buttery wax is a carnauba type wax, which will get you a nice shine and depth, but durability is going to be on the short side. If you don't mind every couple of weeks, spending an afternoon applying more wax, then by all means, do it and enjoy it.
As far as sealants go, I have been using the Klasse twins lately and I am enjoying the look and feel. Haven't checked the durability.
Sonax PolymerNetshield is a really good, easy to apply sealant that last much longer than wax.

Hope this helps.

HUMP

Desertnate
05-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Klasse Sealant Glaze is probably one of the most durable candidates out there and worth a look.

However, you'll find something for just about every budget in the Autogeek Store. If I was going back to sealants, I think I'd give 4-Star Ultimate Paint Protection a try. It has a reasonable price and a reputation for good durability.

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Now I read about sealants and waxes. I have a unopened bottle of Adam's Buttery Wax but can't decide if I should use a sealant prior to the buttery wax, if so, which would be best to use? This is my daily driver that will see Houston's nasty wet weather and mainly parked under a carport (Detailing will all be done by elbow grease)

Thanks for helping out a clueless detailer!

I think you're getting too wrapped up in the...er...details. Wax, sealant, they are both what we call "LSP's", or Last Step Products. It's more important to have something on the car than to have nothing and worry what is "best". Put your Buttery Wet Wax on and enjoy your car being shiny and slick, then you can go from there.

KyleWrap
05-15-2015, 07:53 AM
I'll be doing a coat or two of opti-seal on my car followed by collinite 476. Opti-Seal is like ~$20 for an 8 oz bottle but it only takes 1 oz to do a car. The sealant itself lasts up to 6 months i believe while 476 could last a year.

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Opti-Seal is like ~$20 for an 8 oz bottle but it only takes 1 oz to do a car.

1 oz??? Are you doing the inside too?