PDA

View Full Version : Hiding swirls in home electonics

Burns ST
05-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Is there any way to hide the appearance of swirls and marring on home electronic equipment? My girlfriend decided to use a papertowel to clean off my laptop lip and receiver, now its full of fine marks. Can a glaze like Mothers Glaze help me out here? I tried CG Blacklight, but I guess theres not much fillers in it.

trekkeruss
05-13-2015, 04:15 PM
If you're talking about plastic parts then you need to use a plastic polish.

Burns ST
05-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Is there any risk of using a product like that and further damaging the finish on these things? I can't imagine polish on a laptop would behave differently than that on a car.

Hookee
05-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Laptop screens are real delicate, light pressure. Probably can't mess it up anymore than it already is.

Burns ST
05-17-2015, 05:11 PM
I'm not needing it on the screen, more of the lid. Can anyone suggest a couple products for this application? I'm not 100% on what I'm looking for. I see products for clear plastics, I'm not sure it'll work on the black glossy plastic. Others with cleaners and protectants.

J Cole
05-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Mothers has a plastic polish and Meguiar's has one as well, called PlastX.

Burns ST
05-17-2015, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure about the Mothers, but plastix says its for clear plastic. I'm guessing its safe for all colors though?

MarkD51
05-17-2015, 06:57 PM
I know many like Mike Philips say some of the Meguiars products work very well. He's posted some resto projects, and many use these products for convertible rear windows, and other clear acrylics.

One product that has also been around a long time, and also excels for restoring, and maintaining such surfaces is Novus Polishes. There are 3 grades, simply, 1, 2, and 3, 3 being the most aggressive.

Hookee
05-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Probably any type of regular polish will work, even if its not for plastic, you would be surprised what will work.

AZpolisher15
12-11-2015, 05:46 PM
I use PlastX on all kinds of things around the house. I just polished up a Bakelite antique barometer. I polished the top of my tv subwoofer. I polished an old pair of sunglasses. It's a great product and it's uses aren't limited to headlights.