PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Hard Top

medicscott
05-13-2015, 11:28 AM
So next week I have to detail this Jeep. The owner said expense is no issue...he will pay any amount of $$ to have every part look its absolute best. With that being said, I have a solid plan of attack on the vehicle, except this hardtop...he wants it "more black" I don't think solution finish would bond to this metal as it is usually meant for plastic and rubber...Any thoughts on what to do here? The picture doesn't do a great job of showing how faded it really appears. Thanks for your guidance!

North26
05-13-2015, 02:23 PM
I always thought those were plastic....

Anyways if it is metal, the metal is not bare, obviously there is paint on top of the metal. Any product you are applying you are applying to the paint. So I would look for something that enhances the paint.

You are correct with your assumption that SF would not be the best as it is intended for trim and rubber are different as the black coloring is added during the molding process rather than after.

DetailKitty
05-13-2015, 02:36 PM
The top isn't metal- it's a fiberglass, and it's rough. Do not polish it.

Kevlarrockstar
05-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Shining monkey has a product for flat and satin painted surfaces...

medicscott
05-13-2015, 03:36 PM
By feel it seems powder coated. It's a textured rough and gritty surface. Shining monkey product still apply? Can you send a Autogeek link?

MPBGT
05-13-2015, 04:09 PM
It's not powder coated. As far as what to use. I have used UTTG on a tan jeep hardtop in the past with pretty good results. I'm sure there is something better out there though

geekdout
05-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Don't make things too complicated for yourself just clean it really good and treat it just like any other exterior trim piece.

If you have a brush with a Velcro backing that you can attach to a polisher it will save you time in cleaning up that top.