PDA

View Full Version : Trying to choose a coating

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Briggs
05-13-2015, 11:10 AM
I'm trying to pick a coating to put on my Cayenne Red 2013 Nissan Leaf, shown below (before I put some much nicer wheels on it):
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~msbriggs/brandnew.jpg

I currently have Black Fire Crystal Seal on it, but while it looks nice, that stuff seems to be a dust magnet. If I clean the car thoroughly, then go for a 10 minute drive, the car has a nice coating of dust and pollen stuck on it immediately afterwards.

I used Duragloss 105 topped with Collinite 845 over the winter, and it wasn't as bad with dust as the BFCS, but dust still stuck to it pretty good - and the sealants failed on the bottom half of the car before winter was over.

My kids' daycare has a dirt parking lot, which is a source of some (but not all) of the dust problems. Since I have two little kids that I like spending time with, I don't have a lot of extra time for washing, polishing, and waxing/sealing the car - so I'm hoping I can find a coating that will do a decent job of keeping the car clean longer, or at least reducing the amount of cleaning needed.

I've been reading all about a variety of coatings - OptiGloss, C.A.R. Bulletproof, CQuartz, Polish Angel Cosmic, DG Enviroshield, DP Paint Coating, etc... but I can't decide which one to go with.

In order of importance, these are the things I'm looking for:
1. Dust/dirt repellance, to reduce how frequently I need to clean the car. Most coating reviews focus on how shiny the car looks immediately after being applied, or perhaps how long the coating lasts - but to me the most important thing is how well it keeps dirt from sticking. IMO looking beautiful right after the coating is applied is of no value if dust sticks to it quickly.

2. Some scratch mar/resistance. This is partly related to item 1 above. Since my car seems to rapidly acquire dust/pollen, if I want to keep it looking shiny I need to either clean it every day with a California duster and/or a waterless wash (I have Pinnacle and ONR).

3. Longevity will mostly be important for making it through the New Hampshire winter without needing to be reapplied.

Something that can be layered is particularly appealing, since that likely helps some with mar resistance and longevity. I know Liquid Glass isn't real popular here, but that's what I used to use on my old car, a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, and it kept the car beautiful. This is a picture of it just before I sold it last year:
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~msbriggs/side.JPG

The ability to wash the car and then throw another layer or two of it on was one of the appeals of Liquid Glass to me. It wasn't great as far as the dust issue though, but seemed to be better than BFCS.

Currently I'm leaning towrads C.A.R. Products Bulletproof, due to the ability to be layered, and the lower cost for a greater quantity of product, which contributes to layerability. Opti-Gloss may be layerable, but since it costs ~$50 for enough product for one coat, it's not something I could put 4 or 5 coats of on.

Bulletproof supposedly repels dust, which would be perfect. Can anyone attest to that property of it? I was thinking I could put 3-5 coats of it on now in the spring, and then another couple coats in the late fall, to help it get through the long winter.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

medicscott
05-13-2015, 11:31 AM
I find that the coatings don't do much in terms of pollen or dust attraction...no matter what, I think you can coat it with anything and this is unavoidable...the coating makes it much easier to spray the vehicle with x wax or a speed shine/wipe off with microfiber and get fantastic results. Hope that helps.

Jaretr1
05-13-2015, 11:48 AM
You forgot Blackfires new coating, Pinnacle Black Diamond Coating, Duragloss and the list goes on and on.

The Sonus Ion paint coating looks interesting to me. I picked some up and will try it out on my dad's car. Its not very expensive and with the positive charges, might repel dust?

Sonus ION Paint Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-ion-paint-coating.html)

Audios S6
05-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Its not very expensive and with the positive charges, might repel dust?

Dust and dirt (pollen too) tend to be negatively charged, so ION would attract it. I question whether that positive charge still exists after bonding to the paint.

While some products may attract and hold dust more than others, it's predominantly a function of the charge of the car/paint.

Second best way to prevent dust is to ground your car (just bring a long metal spike, tether and sledge hammer everywhere you go).

For a more practical alternative, don't towel dry your car. Running a towel over the car can create a static charge that will attract dust. Use the sheeting method with cold water; this can actually help reduce any charge on the paint and reduce dusting. Then just blot dry with a towel or use compressed air.

Nothing short of introducing a constant negative charge to the paint is going to minimize dusting for any considerable amount of time.

DaveT435
05-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Gtechniq C1 with 2 coats of EXO over it!!! It will give you everything you want. Down the road you use C2v3 as a drying aid for maintenance. AG should have it in stock within a few days I would suspect. I know some finally hit the U.S. After being unavailable for a few months.

Mike Briggs
05-13-2015, 12:55 PM
On the Gtechniq products - I've read some very good things about them, but am also a bit wary because of some people having issues with hazing. Has that issue been resolved?

The other issue with Gtechniq is the cost, especially if doing both C1 and EXO.

I agree with the statement that no coating is going to prevent a car from *attracting* dust - but a coating *should* be able to make the dust slide off easily, rather than sticking, if the coating creates a smooth, uncharged layer.

DaveT435
05-13-2015, 01:06 PM
On the Gtechniq products - I've read some very good things about them, but am also a bit wary because of some people having issues with hazing. Has that issue been resolved?

The other issue with Gtechniq is the cost, especially if doing both C1 and EXO.

I agree with the statement that no coating is going to prevent a car from *attracting* dust - but a coating *should* be able to make the dust slide off easily, rather than sticking, if the coating creates a smooth, uncharged layer.

It's been my experience with the C1 EXO that dust does just that, blows off the car. Obviously not 100% of it, but the majority. The hazing problem isn't an issue as long as you put the EXO on between 4 and 12 hours of finishing the C1. I usually do it at about 6 hours. You can do just the EXO and have the same performance as far as dust goes. The car will look great. What you lose by not using the C1 is a little in appearance and scratch resistance. I had just EXO on my car for two years and loved it. Never had any issues from washing or drying induced scratches. I love the way this stuff beads and sheets water. I drove in the rain yesterday and it quit raining before I got home. Other than a little dirt behind the wheels the car is spotless.

DaveT435
05-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Another option is to go C1 then C2v3. A little less expensive and you would want to put a fresh coat of C2v3 on about every 5 or 6 months.

SYMAWD
05-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Cquartz. It's cheap, easy, and is still going 10 months strong for me with no maintenance other than an occasional wash. My car also tends to have less pollen then those parked around it. Stuff obviously still lands on it though.

eaglefan
05-13-2015, 02:05 PM
For the experienced coating user, is there one that stands out in terms of mar resistance?

Mike Briggs
05-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Anyone have any experience with CQuartz UK and Gtechniq C1 and Bulletproof, that could compare the three of them on their dirt repelling properties and mar resistance?

Mike lambert
05-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Give Gyeon MOHs plus a try, very resistant to marring, proven one of the hardest out there independently, and looks great

Mike Briggs
05-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Give Gyeon MOHs plus a try, very resistant to marring, proven one of the hardest out there independently, and looks great

That stuff looks good - but a few times more expensive than anything else. :(

DaveT435
05-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Someone just gave their opinions on about 6 or 7 coatings, broke it down into scratch resistance, gloss, durability, water beading and sheeting, etc. I can't find it right now. I know C1 and EXO did very well in all categories. Whatever you decide how it turns out great

03Mustanger
05-13-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm curious to know where that durability test is located at. I too am considering either opti coat or gtechniq c1 for my '14 focus.