PDA

View Full Version : Claying after coating?

Phimp27
05-13-2015, 02:53 AM
So I made a boo boo. My ex gf asked me to wash her car and dropped it off for me to work on. I washed the car and decided that I would coat her hood with PBL paint coating. She was in a hurry and I was too so I polished the hood and took out the scratches on the rest car. Then I used the PBL cleansing lotion and the coated the hood. Thing is I forgot to clay the hood. Can I clay it now or should I use compound to start over? I was using the Rupes white pad and white polish.

Billy Baldone
05-13-2015, 03:51 AM
What kind of car is it? I'm just curious. How bad does it need to be clayed?

aim4squirrels
05-13-2015, 06:38 AM
If you polished it, you likely removed most of the bonded contaminants.

Use a sandwich baggie on your hand to verify.

Second thought: Is your Ex girlfriend even going to notice? If no, then don't sweat it. If the coating fails, do it over. If not, she'll be none the wiser anyway.

I'm assuming of course, you did NOT charge her for your services. Well, at least not in cash...

Legacykid
05-13-2015, 06:48 AM
if you polished it, you likely removed most of the bonded contaminants.

Use a sandwich baggie on your hand to verify.

Second thought: Is your ex girlfriend even going to notice? If no, then don't sweat it. If the coating fails, do it over. If not, she'll be none the wiser anyway.

I'm assuming of course, you did not charge her for your services. Well, at least not in cash...
lololol^^^

ihaveacamaro
05-13-2015, 08:50 AM
So I made a boo boo. My ex gf asked me to wash her car and dropped it off for me to work on. I washed the car and decided that I would coat her hood with PBL paint coating. She was in a hurry and I was too so I polished the hood and took out the scratches on the rest car. Then I used the PBL cleansing lotion and the coated the hood. Thing is I forgot to clay the hood. Can I clay it now or should I use compound to start over? I was using the Rupes white pad and white polish.

I've found claying to be more to allow you to polish without any worries. If you polish without claying you can pick up those bonded contaminates and scratch your car in this wonderful circular pattern all over. Since it doesn't seem like that happened, I wouldn't even worry about it. Polishing will remove all the bonded contaminants too, it's just not recommended because it can scratch the car then.

Phimp27
05-13-2015, 05:45 PM
It is a 2014 Acura RDX. Really soft paint. Scratches came out with a white polishing Rupes pad and white polish. The reason I remembered was when I was giving a wipe down before putting wax on the roof felt really rough.

And yeah I was paid in something other than cash

An expensive dinner on her dime lol

rlmccarty2000
05-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Your ok. I did the same, with the same coating and it held up well.