PDA

View Full Version : Sell me some 3 inch pads

Mike Honcho
05-12-2015, 05:42 AM
Noob here. Can I use 3" pads on a cordless drill to fix light scratches? If so, which pads and compounds? M105 & M205? Thanks.

Setec Astronomy
05-12-2015, 06:13 AM
You could do this if you must: Meguiars DA Power System (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-power-system.html)

There are additional pads on that page, you can use whatever compounds and polishes you would like. It's not the greatest solution for larger areas. Also I'm always wary of what some people consider "light scratches". Do you have any pictures of the defects you are trying to correct?

Mike Honcho
05-12-2015, 07:07 AM
I'll post pics later today, it's pouring here right now! I do know you can't feel them with your fingernail.

Setec Astronomy
05-12-2015, 07:12 AM
If you're trying to do this on a shoestring, I'm sure most people are going to suggest the Harbor Freight route.

Souldetailer
05-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Do what ever you can within you means. It's better to get quality products and go by hand instead of purchase something that is inadequate and leaves you struggling. People maintained cars for years without a machine and did damn well. Check out the Lake Country pads and a hand held polishing buddy. Do some research and find some products to suit your needs. Keep the questions coming about any concerns you may have. Good folks here & we're glad to assist. Good luck and take care. :buffing:

Peace,

Darrin

Mike Honcho
05-12-2015, 07:37 AM
I am looking to purchase a DA but didn't know if the PC of HF machines would work with 3" pads. Two areas that need attention is the small flat area on the roof between the shark fin and the top of the back glass and a tight area on the B pillar. That's why I was thinking about a cordless drill with 3" pads. Do they make 1" or 2" pads?

Setec Astronomy
05-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Oh, I didn't understand you were looking to polish a tight area. Some people put 3" pads on a PC-class machine, to me that's a little small, 4" is the smallest I go on a PC.

These are for rotary:

FLEX Rotary Backing Plates 1, 2, 3 Inch Diameter (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-rotary-backing-plates.html)

FLEX Rotary Foam Pads 1, 2, 3 Inch Diameter (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-rotary-foam-pads.html)

Mike Honcho
05-12-2015, 07:45 AM
I definitively want to go the quality route. That's why I joined this forum! I'm reading and watching everything I can here but it can be a little intimidating (and confusing) at times. I plan on practicing first on a old truck hood I got off Craigslist to hone my skills. (Wait...I don't have any skills...yet.)

Mike Honcho
05-12-2015, 07:53 AM
I do like that 2" pad!

Setec Astronomy
05-12-2015, 07:56 AM
People do put 3" pads on PC-class machines, as I said. There is also the Griot's Garage 3" polisher which is pretty wimpy, and the Rupes LHR 75E Mini. If you perchance have access to a large compressor there are also small pneumatic polishers.

Or you can go rotary with the Flex PE-8 and those small pads.

Mike Honcho
05-12-2015, 08:39 AM
That PE8 is a sweet looking machine!

Souldetailer
05-12-2015, 08:49 AM
You can get the regular GG6 and get a plate fit the 3" pads. It's an easy swap an makes you machine more versatile. That's how I'm flying at the moment. Works very well. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin