PDA

View Full Version : Did my friend waste my coating?

LaFawnduh
05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
So a buddy of mine over the weekend asked if he could try my pinnacle black label coating on his new car (beautiful new black Mustang GT) so I agreed. Told him he needed to have it polished and cleaned up perfect and I'd help him apply and knock down high spots.

Well as we were applying I was seeing significantly more high spots all over the car and it took forever. I kept asking him for sure he polished it... Kept saying yes. Well after pressing following numerous panels - like 75% of the car he walked me through his steps: wash, decon, clay bar, Polish with CG black light , and SEAL with Jetseal! Almost hit the floor and wanted to cry when he said "seal." Saw $$$ just burning up. So we finished since we had already gone that far...

Here is my question to the board - I know a clean surface is required for proper bonding. Realistically, what can he expect to get for life on the coating given it can't bond correctly? Did we do anything for the paint / wheels or is it basically money down the drain that will wash off next time a hose hits the surface?

RMM
05-11-2015, 03:48 PM
... basically money down the drain ...

:doh: :bolt:

J Cole
05-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Well since CG Black Light is a sealant and as far as I know doesn't have any abrasives it seems that it wasn't polished either. (After more reading it appears that CG Black Light does have some light correction capabilities.)

I don't know this for sure but as far as I could guess the Jetseal and the Pinnacle coating would only last as long as the CG Black Light normally does? However, when you start layering things only time will tell what will actually occur.

Rsurfer
05-11-2015, 03:57 PM
It will probably last as long as the Jetseal will last on it's own. The PBLC is now sitting on top of the Jetseal and not clean paint.

Rsurfer
05-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Well since CG Black Light is a sealant and as far as I know doesn't have any abrasives it seems that it wasn't polished either. (After more reading it appears that CG Black Light does have some light correction capabilities.)

I don't know this for sure but as far as I could guess the Jetseal and the Pinnacle coating would only last as long as the CG Black Light normally does? However, when you start layering things only time will tell what will actually occur.

Black Light is not a sealant, but a glaze. Many will top Black Light with V7, which is a sealant.

refreshauto
05-11-2015, 04:58 PM
That was money down the drain unless you wiped it down before eraser or something of that nature beforehand

MarkD51
05-11-2015, 05:02 PM
If it's any consolation, I've wasted many tens of thousands of dollars on vehicles. Bought such, walked into dealers, and was taken to the cleaners big time.

Previous vehicle, nothing at all wrong, or a minor roblem, that nothing a couple-few hundred wouldn't have rectified.

Then walk in, and drop $20K-$30K on another, and was in no better boat.

We throw money to the wind often. The loss of an ounce or two out of the bottle is no biggie IMO. Chaulk it up to a learning curve, but odd how your buddy conveniently left out a detail in what he did to the vehicle?

I think he just wanted your services, and if you could improve on what he'd done. I'd call in the "Compensation Factor". Meaning, a nice lunch-dinner on his dime for your efforts, and costs.

This should help ease any "pains" noted. LOL

LaFawnduh
05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
If it's any consolation, I've wasted many tens of thousands of dollars on vehicles. Bought such, walked into dealers, and was taken to the cleaners big time.

Previous vehicle, nothing at all wrong, or a minor roblem, that nothing a couple-few hundred wouldn't have rectified.

Then walk in, and drop $20K-$30K on another, and was in no better boat.

We throw money to the wind often. The loss of an ounce or two out of the bottle is no biggie IMO. Chaulk it up to a learning curve, but odd how your buddy conveniently left out a detail in what he did to the vehicle?

I think he just wanted your services, and if you could improve on what he'd done. I'd call in the "Compensation Factor". Meaning, a nice lunch-dinner on his dime for your efforts, and costs.

This should help ease any "pains" noted. LOL

Should have drank more of this beer he provided - live and learn.

Yeah, not sure how he got it mixed. I'm pretty sure I used the term "surgically clean" to describe the surface. He said he didn't think a new car sans swirls needed heavy polish. And since he didn't want it to get dirty overnight before I got there he sealed it. But whatever - I can say without a doubt that a new paint job, with the glaze + seal + coating, never seen a car shine quite that much.

MarkD51
05-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Should have drank more of this beer he provided - live and learn.

Yeah, not sure how he got it mixed. I'm pretty sure I used the term "surgically clean" to describe the surface. He said he didn't think a new car sans swirls needed heavy polish. And since he didn't want it to get dirty overnight before I got there he sealed it. But whatever - I can say without a doubt that a new paint job, with the glaze + seal + coating, never seen a car shine quite that much.

Hence the ole tune by Frankie Yankovic, "No Beer in Heaven"! LOL Look it up on youtube, great tune to guzzle beer by! ;-)

Weird Al once asked Frankie "You think we might be related?" Frankie replied "NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!" LOL