PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good starting out supplies?

330xtrai
05-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Hello Guys,
I am new to this forum but pretty active on e90post.
I wanted to start detailing my car since I haven't done anything other than wash it for the past 3 years of owning my car and god knows how long the previous owner.
So I an going to get a harbor freight DA with a 5" Lake country backing plate. This is what I was suggested by some people.
I need a good wash mitt, for polish saw a lot of suggestions for m105 and m205 but have heard that there are newer and better stuff out there, need a suggestion for sealant/wax/coating and would a coating be better etc. I live in northeast and car does take a beating in the winter and want something protective.
Also are the stuff I have in my cart good for starting should I get different pads combo. I wouldn't mind buying more if I need but would prefer not to if I dont have to.
Is that soap good or should I go for something stripping for the first wash like CG citrus and a safe one like this?
Also am I missing anything for a full self service?
Just a side note: I would rather pay a little for something better quality than get something ok and cheaper.

BMW435
05-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Hello Guys,
I am new to this forum but pretty active on e90post.
I wanted to start detailing my car since I haven't done anything other than wash it for the past 3 years of owning my car and god knows how long the previous owner.
So I an going to get a harbor freight DA with a 5" Lake country backing plate. This is what I was suggested by some people.
I need a good wash mitt, for polish saw a lot of suggestions for m105 and m205 but have heard that there are newer and better stuff out there, need a suggestion for sealant/wax/coating and would a coating be better etc. I live in northeast and car does take a beating in the winter and want something protective.
Also are the stuff I have in my cart good for starting should I get different pads combo. I wouldn't mind buying more if I need but would prefer not to if I dont have to.
Is that soap good or should I go for something stripping for the first wash like CG citrus and a safe one like this?
Also am I missing anything for a full self service?
Just a side note: I would rather pay a little for something better quality than get something ok and cheaper.

For a wash mitt, I would recommend the Carpro Microfiber Madness Incredimitt or Incredisponge. For a drying towel, I use CarPro Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy. It's very soft and holds alot of water. For a drying aid, I also use Meguairs Quick Detailer.
For Polish, Sealant and Wax, I use the menzerna line of products.
Make sure you have good quality microfiber towels to remove any wax, polish, etc.
Also, I would consider purchasing CarPro Iron X as well to decontaminate the paint before you use the Nanoskin Autoscrub. I use the Optimum Car Wash soap. Your could always use more pads (maybe have 6 each of the orange and white pads). This way you wont have to stop as much or at all to clean the pads while your're working on the car. What wheel soap do you use?

330xtrai
05-11-2015, 02:54 PM
For a wash mitt, I would recommend the Carpro Microfiber Madness Incredimitt or Incredisponge. For a drying towel, I use CarPro Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy. It's very soft and holds alot of water. For a drying aid, I also use Meguairs Quick Detailer.
For Polish, Sealant and Wax, I use the menzerna line of products.
Make sure you have good quality microfiber towels to remove any wax, polish, etc.
Also, I would consider purchasing CarPro Iron X as well to decontaminate the paint before you use the Nanoskin Autoscrub. I use the Optimum Car Wash soap. Your could always use more pads (maybe have 6 each of the orange and white pads). This way you wont have to stop as much or at all to clean the pads while your're working on the car. What wheel soap do you use?

I would go for that mitt and towel but but I'm trying to either stick with autogeek (for good prices and discount I have) and Amazon (I have trade in credit). They look like awesome stuff. For the menzerna line could you give me a list of stuff if it isn't too much to ask. I was looking to also get iron x but I actually forgot to add it.
Thanks for the great suggestions!

RMM
05-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Microfiber Madness is an independent German company that has nothing to do with CarPro.

By the way: yes, they produce the nicest MFs and MF mitts. :xyxthumbs:

330xtrai
05-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Microfiber Madness is an independent German company that has nothing to do with CarPro.

Lol I guess ill get them since I've been recommend to get it like 4 times already and want awesome stuff lol. Any recommended place to order them from?

rms64
05-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

BMW's love Menzerna products - if you're anywhere near Orlando you're welcome to come try some stuff out. :xyxthumbs:

Your list looks good to me!

BMW435
05-11-2015, 04:45 PM

What I meant is you could buy it from Carpro USA. I just didn't type it that way.

BMW435
05-11-2015, 04:58 PM
I would go for that mitt and towel but but I'm trying to either stick with autogeek (for good prices and discount I have) and Amazon (I have trade in credit). They look like awesome stuff. For the menzerna line could you give me a list of stuff if it isn't too much to ask. I was looking to also get iron x but I actually forgot to add it.
Thanks for the great suggestions!

Well depending on how bad the swirls and/or scratches are, you could get: PF2500 and SF4000 (or SF4500). If you need a more aggressive combo, you could swap out the PF2500 for FG400. Or you could just add it to the other 2. Always do a test spot and start off with the least aggressive method first. Another big suggestion is to watch Youtube videos from Autogeek (Mike Phillips), AmmoNYC as well as going on this forum. I have learned a lot from both.

330xtrai
05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

BMW's love Menzerna products - if you're anywhere near Orlando you're welcome to come try some stuff out. :xyxthumbs:

Your list looks good to me!
Ok awesome thanks. I wish I lived in Fl. I actually might move once I'm done with school. stuck in NJ.

Well depending on how bad the swirls and/or scratches are, you could get: PF2500 and SF4000 (or SF4500). If you need a more aggressive combo, you could swap out the PF2500 for FG400. Or you could just add it to the other 2. Always do a test spot and start off with the least aggressive method first. Another big suggestion is to watch Youtube videos from Autogeek (Mike Phillips), AmmoNYC as well as going on this forum. I have learned a lot from both.
Ok awesome I'll probably go with the more aggressive too because my roof is all scratched up because of driving under a dry tree. and I have like 3 long kinda deep scratches on my door and everything else is swirl city lol.
Thanks alot!!

330xtrai
05-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Also I'll be watching more videos

Mask
05-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Your cart look cool ^^

Might want to take a look at these:
Meguiars microfiber wash mitt
Meguiars supreme shine microfiber
D300
M205

dcjredline
05-12-2015, 12:08 AM
Cant go wrong with that Meguiar's list right there!!! I would replace the D300 and M205 with Ultimate Compound and Polish (Readily available over the counter at Walmart!!!)

Very inexpensive and quality products

330xtrai
05-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Your cart look cool ^^

Might want to take a look at these:
Meguiars microfiber wash mitt
Meguiars supreme shine microfiber
D300
M205

Cant go wrong with that Meguiar's list right there!!! I would replace the D300 and M205 with Ultimate Compound and Polish (Readily available over the counter at Walmart!!!)

Very inexpensive and quality products

Thanks for the suggestions! I just bought the incredimitt, dry me crazy towel and ironx and got a free sample of carpro reload (50mL)from carpro-us.com Will be ordering Menzerna fg400, pf2500, and sf4500 from amazon since its the cheapest and I got some cashback and tradein credit to cash in. and getting these from Autogeek just waiting on a response email to get promotion match for shipping and 10% from autodetailingsolutions. Wanna support autogeek for having an awesome website, great supply of stuff, and great Customer service so far. will be buying my harbor freight da this week.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!