PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone! I am starting up a detailing business and will have plenty of questions I'm sure

HMCDetailing
05-11-2015, 07:52 AM
My name is Sean and I am in Michigan. My company is Heavy Metal Customs (Auto Detailing). Been working for other people and making them money off my talents for far too long. I have so many questions that I honestly can't organize them enough to ask them right now. But I'm glad I found this site and forums to help guide me through best business practices, procedures, tools to use, and methods to use them. I want to be the best at what I do and be successful with this business, so the more I know how to do the more services I can offer. I see a lot of people offering opti-coat or whatever. I have never used a polisher/buffer or machine waxer. Did some wet sanding and polishing when I was a cleaning guy at a body shop around 15 years old, and I'm 36 now lol. I have had 4 detailing jobs so far....and blown them away with the quality. Problem is with the equipment I'm using it takes me 12 hours, which as we know if I'm breaking down $75 into 12 hours I'm not making much of a profit. But I'm excited, I'm positive about the future, and hoping to achieve success for myself and family. Thank you!

dcjredline
05-11-2015, 08:02 AM
Welcome

Audios S6
05-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Welcome. What exactly are you doing in 12 hours for $75?

Good news for you, you'll find a lot of ways to get more done in that 12 hours. Many guys here take 12-20 hours to do a car, but that's near a flawless paint finish.

HMCDetailing
05-11-2015, 11:34 AM
I haven't even done an exterior detail yet. I've always just washed and waxed my own vehicles. Opti-coats and clay bars and compounds, polishes, etc etc.....I have a lot to learn lol

HMCDetailing
05-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Only done extremely horrible, dirty interiors

Audios S6
05-11-2015, 12:29 PM
I suppose your pricing can only be what your market will pay, but you've got to get your hourly rate higher or you're gonna burn yourself out quick.

No need to jump right into to paint corrections, but most cars can get a 100% improvement with a basic wash, clay and wax/seal. Having a clay alternative like one of the towels will be a big time saver. Applying a liquid wax using a machine will speed things considerably as well. I think most guys here will be at around $100 for that service and take 3 hours +/- grossing an hourly rate around $30.

Interiors, for me, are 2-3 hours, maybe 4 for super trashed and are $125. For more durable interior protectants and stain removal I charge $200+ depending on level of staining and take 5+ hours to deal with stains and drying out the interior after extraction. Some of that cost hike is for the extra time, but most is in materials; stain removal kits and the durable protectants are not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Souldetailer
05-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Hey Sean,

Welcome, where in MI are you. I grew up just north of Detroit, Berkley. Good luck with your endeavor, I'm looking at doing it too. Would love making my own schedule, but more importantly, making people smile from ear to ear when they see what I did to that dirty mess they were driving. Lot's of good, knowledgeable people here. You'll get great advice and practical principals. Good luck and take care.

Peace,

Darrin

HMCDetailing
05-11-2015, 04:59 PM
I appreciate the knowledge and info very much, I'm near Flint, Mi so it's not like I'm in a very nice area either. I may advertise about 30 min south where people have more resources. I have had a few people say $50 was too much right now lol. $50? For what I do and did to some of those vehicles someone would pay $150 and up. I just need to find my niche, and target market

dlc95
05-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Best of luck man! I'm on the Rochester Hills/Auburn Hills border. There is a boatload of competition out here. Jax Kar Wash, Classic Appreciation, and even more within five minutes of my residence! The work is out there though. Regardless, you have to charge your fair prices. Don't be reluctant to ask for what you deserve.

HMCDetailing
05-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Everything I've looked up as far as comparing companies fees for similar services is way more than what I'm asking. I haven't even begun to market and advertise though. Only time will tell. That ravishing Rick Rude pic is the #### btw lmao