PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to cause steam from a pad?

Pages : [1] 2

pacman
05-10-2015, 03:58 PM
This is my first attempt at polishing with a machine.

I've been using the Tangerine flat light cutting pad with Sonax Perfect Finish on a PC at speed 6 on my roof and noticed after a while a ton of dust but what looked like steam coming from the pad which I thought was horribly weird. I also think I wrecked the pad as now there is a large divot in the center of the pad. I cleaned it with some pad cleaner but it looks like it might still be there. The pad is still drying though so I'll find out tomorrow.

I have since bumped the speed down to 5 and it seems to not "steam" anymore.

Here is a pic of my roof with the dust. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I find the cleanup of this dust takes longer than to actually polish.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h99/CAN97SH/20150510_102837_zpsdtvs01bv.jpg

swanicyouth
05-10-2015, 04:33 PM
This is what's called "user error". Causes:

1. To much polish (Polish is a language or a way to describe a person or group of people who come from Poland).

2. Too much downward pressure.

3. Speed too high (like 6).

4. Very high ambient temps.

5. High panels temps.

6. Lack of washer on the BP.

7. Any combo of 1 to 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveT435
05-10-2015, 04:36 PM
I would say it was smoke not steam. Sounds like you burned up the pad. I would say a combination of pad being loaded up with product and too much speed. Maybe a little lower speed. Make sure you are cleaning the pad on the fly and switching to a new pad as needed.

pacman
05-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, obviously I'm still learning.

It's not the temps as Its only around 50 here still.

I found that the less pressure I used the more smoke the pad would generate so I'm guessing the speed is what the cause was. I did my whole hood on speed 6 and didn't experience any of this. I tried the doors on speeds 5 and 6 but didn't experience much smoking either.

The flat pads obviously generate more heat than the CCS pads as I've tried the white and green pads with no smoking at all. All on speed 6 as well.

You guys think I should throw that pad out? It was brand new :(

What's washer on the BP mean? I was using small sprays of water between my sections. I tried using a blue towel to clean the pad but it put blue lint on it so i just used my finger nails with the PC on 4 to clean the pad between sections. I would also put on 3 pea sized dots between actions as well.

Are there any images to see what a saturated pad looks like? I'm not really sure exactly when to switch to a new pad.

Rsurfer
05-10-2015, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=pacman;1250233]What's washer on the BP mean?

Do you not have a washer between the backing plate and spindle?

DaveT435
05-10-2015, 08:48 PM
The pad with the large divot...I would throw it away. Find a towel that doesn't lint as much and soak as much product out of the pad as you can. Most of the build up is going to be in the center of the bad. Even if the towel leaves lint it should brush off with a pad brush.

There is a plastic washer that goes on the threads on the backing plate when you put it on the machine.

J Cole
05-10-2015, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't throw away the pad unless the divot remains after it's dried - it's happened to a lot of my pads and they're usually fine after a good wash and dry.

What did the 'steam' smell like? Does the head of the PC smell like smoke or burnt plastic?

pacman
05-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Hahn yes I have a washer installed thanks :)

I'll have to see what the pad looks like after it dries. Maybe I'll take a pic of it. I did have to scrape hard beads of polish off the pad when I was washing it. I am using a pad cleaner too.

The steam/smoke didn't smell like burning at all. As soon as I saw it I looked at the pad and even that was steaming/smoking :|

So what's a noob like me do? Continue on polishing lol. I didn't leave any swirls when this happened either. The paint looks fine.

I'll have to get a pad cleaner right away before I finish the car too as I don't think I was cleaning the pad enough between sections.

FUNX650
05-10-2015, 09:42 PM
RE: "it possible to cause steam from a pad?"

IMO: Yes.

-The product you put on the pad contains liquid.
-Friction from the pad/product being in contact with the vehicle's paint at the given speed (6) causes a rise in the liquid's temperature
-Applying downward force/pressure further increases the liquid's temperature---now considered to be a "hot condensate".
-When released to a lower pressure, this
"hot condensate" becomes steam...flash steam.

Note:
The temperature needed to form steam
is in direct relationship with pressure...
along with a liquid's latent-heat.

Bob

LSNAutoDetailing
05-11-2015, 06:22 AM
This is in addition to what others said.
1.) Did you prime the pad with product to start the process?
2.) Are you using a pad primer, like Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner? You want to keep the pad conditioned throughout the process.
3.) Use less product, about a pea drop after the initial prime.
4.) Speed 6 is too high. Try spreading the product on 5, then do your section passes at 4. Apply even pressure...
6.) Mark your backing plate with a sharpie so you can tell if it's spinning.

Mike Phillips
05-11-2015, 07:05 AM
I'd "yes" it could be steam you're seeing as a lot of heat is generated in the center of the backing plate when you do correction work with DA polishers.

I think you'll see steam before you see smoke.

Damaging pads like this usually comes from trying to work too long wit a single pad. It's better for the pad and you'll do better correction to have more pads and after buffing out a single panel switch to a clean, dry pad.

Here's some basic suggestions in this article...

How many pads do I need to buff out my car? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html)

:)

pacman
05-11-2015, 07:09 AM
Thanks FUN that makes total sense. The downward pressure is whats causing the heat and when I let go of the pressure the steam was able to escape from the pad. I guess now I know when doing a roof to not apply really much pressure at all as just holding the machine is applying enough downward pressure.

Paul: I did use pad conditioner. I'm using Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner. I always gave it a couple squirts before applying the Sonax. After each section I was giving the pad a squirt of water. Maybe I'll stick with the Pinnacle instead.

I'll hopefully finish my car today and will not use as much product as I have been. I think I was using way too much. I would start with five dime sized drops on the pad then after every 2x2 section I would add 3 roughly pea sized dots.

That's the first time I have read to spread the polish at 5 then do section passes on speed 4. I'll give it a shot though.

I have a mark on the backing plate thanks.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Thanks for the suggestion Mike :) I did try and do the hood and roof with one pad. I'll be sure to go through that guide you linked. I need to order more pads :p

I just thought of something. My hood, roof and front fenders are all aluminium which I believe heats up faster than steel. I wonder if this is why I'm experiencing the steam? Well that and all of the mistakes I have been doing thus far :p

Souldetailer
05-11-2015, 08:00 AM
No biggie, I did the same thing first time w/DA. Just pushed the pad too hard. Learned immediately how to do it properly. Trashed that pad, "dent" never came out. Oh well, cheap mistake. I now clean the pad often and switch to a new pad when I feel the existing one is saturated. Good luck & take care.:buffing:

Peace,

Darrin

pacman
05-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Yea I guess it could have been worse if I had a different machine in my hands lol.

I would have thought a "saturated" pad would look different. I think in my case with the Sonax PF that my pads mostly look wet with water as I was inspecting the pads as I was polishing and after a while they looked and felt like they were dunked in water. Not soaking wet but wet with some dried polish on the top.

I'll just order more tangerine pads, a few orange flat pads and a cleaning brush so this doesn't happen anymore :)

Souldetailer
05-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Yea I guess it could have been worse if I had a different machine in my hands lol.

I would have thought a "saturated" pad would look different. I think in my case with the Sonax PF that my pads mostly look wet with water as I was inspecting the pads as I was polishing and after a while they looked and felt like they were dunked in water. Not soaking wet but wet with some dried polish on the top.

I'll just order more tangerine pads, a few orange flat pads and a cleaning brush so this doesn't happen anymore :)

Yep, that's what I did, ordered a few more, brush included. A ruined pad is better than a new paint job. If I've learned anything over the past 7 months, is you can never have enough pads or MF towels ( high grade included). Started doing some jobs on the side and you don't wanna get cut short doing a clients ride, that's for sure. Good luck, hope your having as much fun as I am. :buffing:

Peace,

Darrin