PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning old baked brakedust from wheels

chargecooler
05-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Hello,

my mother recently asked me if I could clean up and wax her old 1995 Trans Am that sat for 2 years outside.

The thing that worries me the most are the wheels (painted aluminium). They are really nasty. Baked in brake dust that sat for a couple of years.
This is different from a normal *wheel wash* :) Any tips on how to get them clean ? I can try some regular wheel cleaner but I am not sure if that gets the job done.

Your help is greatly appreciated. :buffing:

Thanks
Steven

fly07sti
05-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Can you post a picture? What tools and supplies do you currently have?

ScottB
05-10-2015, 11:05 AM
When cool use something like Poorboys Spray/Rinse and a brush to agitate. You can also use a little paint polish to remove any lingering dust as the abrasives can help to dislodge it.

chargecooler
05-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Can you post a picture? What tools and supplies do you currently have?

As for now I only have lots of mf towels and regular wheel cleaner from Nigrin. My AG order is still underway and basically centers around compounds, sealer, wax, clay and divers stuff. The wheels of my car are ususally pretty clean so no need to get fancy with them :)

I dont have a picture here so a description has to do it for now. The wheel is basically silver painted, the brake dust is baked in meaning it doesnt come of when I go over it with a fingernail. It doesnt cover the entire wheel but only gives a brownish cast to it with some spots more covered. Just like your average daily driver that doesn't get washed for 2 years. I can provide a picture.

Brgds
Steven

fly07sti
05-10-2015, 11:35 AM
I would recommend a product like IronX. Spray it on and let it dwell as long as possible without drying. May take a couple of applications and some agitation from a microfiber you wouldn't mind thrashing. If you are looking to get something quick and OTC, give DUB wheel cleaner by Meguiars a shot. I have not personally used it, but have read many good things about it. Also, you can try claying the wheels as well.

Ebg18t
05-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Iron-X or Sonax Full Effect. Let it dwell, agitate it then power wash it off.

DaveT435
05-10-2015, 01:30 PM
The Rupes wheel cleaner is great stuff too. Very fast working!

chargecooler
05-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys !

I will give Iron X a try. Chances are that I need a couple of passes but we will see :)

Iron X seems like a decent product, just read some reviews. :dblthumb2: