PDA

View Full Version : New Truck - Detailing Process Questions

KMK454
05-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Hi, new guy here...

I have a new Silverado HD in a dark green color. It's a large vehicle that will live outside and will serve as both a commuter and a truck (towing, hauling). I'd like to keep it looking new as long as possible and was thinking of doing the following:

2 bucket wash
Clay Bar (thinking Adam's Big Blue Clay Bar or Pinnacle)
Klasse AIO
Klasse SG

The Klasse products interest me because I think a sealant would be better given the type of duty the vehicle will see. I've never used Klasse, but have read good things here. Given the size of the vehicle, I want something that will provide a durable protective seal. I was a little wary of claying a new vehicle, but since it's up to about 1000 miles, I think it should be good.

Is there anything wrong with the above process? Is the Klasse AIO necessary on new paint?

Also, what are some recommendations to protect the chrome bits? The front end has a chrome bumper and what appears to be plastic bits that are chrome as well as clear plastic for the headlights.

Thanks!

trekkeruss
05-09-2015, 08:30 PM
I would do an iron decontamination step before claying. I would also suggest a coating, which will protect the paint better and longer than a sealant. You can coat chrome and plastics too.

Anyway, read this: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

BEVOSREVENGE
05-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Forget the coatings. The Klasse twins are great.

Use them on my Denali and they hold up well to the heat, rain and pollution in Houston.

Just my two cents

KMK454
06-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, especially the Iron-X. I did the following:

Wash
Iron X
Tar X
Pinnacle Clay
Klasse AIO

The results came out great. Did not have time to apply the SG, but hopefully will wash it in a week or two and layer the AIO then add some SG.

KMK454
06-24-2015, 07:34 PM
May seem like a silly question, but...

When I wash it in a week, can I go straight to applying a second layer of AIO followed by SG? I can't imagine having to clay it again.

medicscott
06-24-2015, 08:27 PM
May seem like a silly question, but...

When I wash it in a week, can I go straight to applying a second layer of AIO followed by SG? I can't imagine having to clay it again.

Yes