PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Product Question:Paint Protect & Ultimate Liquid Wax

TheAverageMan
05-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Hello AG people. I seek some advice on some Meguiars products.

So I'm already doing D114 waterless washes on my car. I've clayed the car before with a Nanoskin Fine sponge before with 1:1 D155. I also use D156 spray wax after all of that (I only clayed once).

So now for exterior I just do D114 as a weekly maintenance, and D156 as a bi-weekly thing.

I wanted to dabble a bit with sealants and waxes, because I'm not sure D156 and was wondering this.

Ultimate Liquid Wax is a sealant, right? Because it's synthetic.
Is Paint Protect a sealant also?
Does it benefit me to put one before the other?
Should I even use both together, or is that overkill?
Is D156 the same as Paint Protect? (I checked out Paint Protect at Wal-Mart, and it's super liquidy like D156)

Any other comments are welcome as well, thanks for reading.

glfnaz
05-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Between ULW and PP360, I'd use ULW. Easy on, easy off, and looks great. I used PP once and I'm sure it does protect for a long time, but I found the carrier oils to stick around and show holograms for about 10 days. Drove me crazy. In addition, my car never showed so many water spots as it did after this product.
For sealants I prefer Collinite 845 or Duragloss products, but ULW is good too.

Mask
05-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Seems like you own great products.
Meguiars D114, D156
There's no harm trying new stuff especially they are from the same family. Just use & compare to see what you like :D

The Guz
05-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Hello AG people. I seek some advice on some Meguiars products.

So I'm already doing D114 waterless washes on my car. I've clayed the car before with a Nanoskin Fine sponge before with 1:1 D155. I also use D156 spray wax after all of that (I only clayed once).

So now for exterior I just do D114 as a weekly maintenance, and D156 as a bi-weekly thing.

I wanted to dabble a bit with sealants and waxes, because I'm not sure D156 and was wondering this.

Ultimate Liquid Wax is a sealant, right? Because it's synthetic.
Is Paint Protect a sealant also?
Does it benefit me to put one before the other?
Should I even use both together, or is that overkill?
Is D156 the same as Paint Protect? (I checked out Paint Protect at Wal-Mart, and it's super liquidy like D156)

Any other comments are welcome as well, thanks for reading.

You have some good products that you are already using.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Ultimate wax is a sealant.

2. Paint Protect is a paint protectant. Think of it as a sealant on steroids. The longevity is still out on this since it's new. I have it on my hood and put nothing else on it. It's going on 3 months and the beading is just ok and the sheeting has gone down quite a bit. Ultimate wax is still a better product as is M21. I'm not sold on the crazy water beading as it's stated on the bottle.

3. Use either one but not both. Ultimate wax is a polish/wax so it will darken the paint. Paint Protect adds nothing to the paint (no darkening, no shine, no gloss).

4. Again see #3.

5. No. They are different products. PP365 is more durable where as D156 is a spray wax and typically used a maintenance product to boost your existing LSP.

D156 is a great maintenance product for Ultimate Wax. If you choose to use PP365, it is recommended to not get it wet for 10 days. Also I would treat it similar to a coating meaning no toppers or spray waxes. No sense in altering the surface tension. I don't use any soap with waxes, no spray waxes or detail sprays on my hood that has PP365. It gets D110 hyper wash or D114.

If you asked me which product to recommend I would recommend ultimate wax every day of the week over PP365.

TheAverageMan
05-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the great replies, especially from Guz.

Question.
What is Ultimate Liquid Waxs bulk equivalent? Is it M21?

The Guz
05-10-2015, 11:50 AM
There is no bulk version of UW. M21 is equivalent to NXT.

TheAverageMan
05-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks for that info Guz. When you say NXT, thats the 2.0 version, right?

Is ULW considered a polish/wax? Like it fills in small swirls and marring when applied?