PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying Flex 3401

Pages : [1] 2

J.Kempster
05-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Hi Fellow Geeks,

I am considering purchasing a Flex 3401 or PE14-2. I currently have the GG6 and GG3. I am a guy who maintains his own two cars but lately a few family members/friends have asked for details.

Everyone in my family owns a full size pickup or SUV. I want to get these upcoming vehicles compounded and polished quickly.

I don't have the money for both tools so that is why it has taken a long time of reflection and countless hours of youtube/autogeek and reading on the forum here. Yet, I still cannot decide.

I have very little experience with a rotary but feel I could pick it up and I would be respectful of the machine and process to not burn the paint.

I am also buying Flex because of the build quality reputation. I won't be using this everyday, just on weekends but not every weekend. I want a tool to last me until I can give it to my son when I buy him his first car.

So onto the questions...
Is the PE14-2 too much for the beginner? Can a beginner polish to a swirl free high gloss with just a PE14-2?

If I purchase the 3401, should I sell the GG6? Can the 3401 remove 1500 grit wet sanding? (Wife ran into wooden barrier at this years KY derby)

When the "No Exclusions" sale runs, can I use it on the Flex machine's?

Thanks in advances for taking the time to read and comment?

VISITOR
05-07-2015, 10:14 PM
the flex 3401 is plenty capable (versatile too with the backing plate system) and probably all you're going to need. it's like the best of both worlds...

af90
05-07-2015, 10:44 PM
I would keep the GG6, you can always make it a more powerful 3" polisher. Or find uses for it when the Flex isn't needed. It's a great tool with a bit of a learning curve but nothing that is too difficult. Plus in the end it's fun using new things to enjoy a hobby. Having a variable speed trigger is phenomenal. Go with the Lake Country interchangeable backing plate kit.

Kamakaz1961
05-07-2015, 10:58 PM
I would keep the GG6, you can always make it a more powerful 3" polisher. Or find uses for it when the Flex isn't needed. It's a great tool with a bit of a learning curve but nothing that is too difficult. Plus in the end it's fun using new things to enjoy a hobby. Having a variable speed trigger is phenomenal. Go with the Lake Country interchangeable backing plate kit.

:iagree: I have the Flex 3401 and the interchangeable backing plates and it is awesome!! The amount of correcting time is cut down considerably!! You will be happy that you get the Flex 3401. IMO it is 1 step below a rotary, however, you do not have to worry about "hologramming" as it is a DA.

I have the PC7424XP with 3 inch pads and that covers sealant/waxing or small areas. I still have it as a back-up or in case I do not need to use the Flex. That being said, I have not used the PC in quite a while.

Get the 5" and 6" Lake Country Hybrid Pads as they were made for the Flex. Of all the detailing products I have used whether it be waxes, sealants, MF Towels, etc. The Flex 3401 VRG was my best purchase.

You will not be disappointed if you do. As for the Flex PE-14 rotary I can't comment as I have never used it before and more than likely never will because of the 3401.

Yes the Flex 3401 can get rid of 1500 Grit Wet sanding with ease.

J.Kempster
05-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Thank you three for posting. Even though this might not make sense it did aid in my decision. I have decided to buy the Flex PE14-2. :buffing:

I am keeping the GG6 and GG3. I have HT pads in all three colors for that machine.

I am only a weekend enthusiast but I like tools and I want to learn what the pros use as well.

I am calling Nick on Monday to place the order. My boys got their mom (the wife) a lot for Mother's Day so I should be in the clear when the AG shipment arrives.

I am set on purchasing the 6.5" hybrid pads in orange and blue. I will use the GG6 and orange HT for polishing and red for sealing.

I currently have Wolfgang's TSR and FG. I am going to buy the Uber 3.0 to aid in removing wet sanding I will be tackling soon.

I have researched this decision to death so I am glad to be making a purchase finally. One final question I have is backing plate.

Should I get the Flex Foam HD plate or the Lake Country 4 3/4 plate?

tpr1634
05-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Just finished using my 3401 could not live without. :buffing:

rlmccarty2000
05-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Could buy a real man's polisher...the Rupes! Lol

Souldetailer
05-11-2015, 08:44 AM

But what if we're not all "real men" like you and the 3401 appeals to us a first or in several, not real men cases, a second polisher to relegate out our first to small jobs. I bet you kick sand in the faces of 97lb. weaklings at the beach. You meanie! I' m telling Mom.... :buffing: MMommmmmmm!!!!!!

DZ302
05-11-2015, 09:09 AM
I just bought the flex 3401 ...first DA tool. Hope I didn't screw up .....

KBsToy
05-11-2015, 09:26 AM

I stepped up and bought a PINK Flex 3401 and last sale. Now there`s a real mans DA Im the MAN

Souldetailer
05-11-2015, 09:52 AM
You are my Hero, a pink 3401 and a toy poodle. Who says you need a Rupes 21, a Pitbull and a 12' pick- up to have balls of steel. Rock on KB, Rock On!!!

Peace,

Darrin

ryandamartini
05-11-2015, 10:00 AM
This past week, I used my FLEX for a couple full compounds and polishes. I like the machine but honestly, I don't enjoy using it all day. It is grabby and its use on vertical panels is not enjoyable to me.

If I could go back, I think I would've invested in the Meguiar's MT300 system of Rupes.

I have years of rotary experience and I just feel the FLEX wants to grab more than the rotary and on cars with a lot of body lines or features, it is a constant effort to keep it where you want it to go. I found in some situations, I had to have it sideways or at an odd angle to guide the tool smoothly.

I had no buffer hop, etc. Went smooth and it does do a great job but I personally am looking to go with the RUPES or MT300. I'd rather invest a little more time for less strain on my physically.

I haven't decided yet maybe Ill do some more cars with it but really I feel it redundant with a rotary to compound and the PC to just throw a finishing polish is a lot less strain on me.

Just my $.02 so far.

DZ302
05-11-2015, 10:18 AM
I just bought the flex 3401 ...first DA tool. Hope I didn't screw up ..... I bought the pink one too....only a real man would by pink....but Pink is my favorite color ! He he he

05-11-2015, 12:05 PM
I just bought the flex 3401 ...first DA tool. Hope I didn't screw up .....

Don't trip you'll love it!

J.Kempster
05-11-2015, 02:25 PM
I did it! I just got off the phone with Nick. I bought the 3401 after some discussion.

I want to thank Nick for his time and help! I have been researching, reading, reviewing, etc.

I ordered the 3401 HD model, 3 of each Hybrid Orange, White and Black, 1 Hybrid wool.

When talking with Nick he kept asking what else can we get, I tell you that AG has one heck of a sales guy here as I kept adding.

I also picked up WG Uber 3.0, 6 pack Cobra glass towels and Mike's Flex 3401 book.

I cannot wait for the shipment to come in!