PDA

View Full Version : What can be done about this (if anything)...need feedback quickly!

98LowRanger
05-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to make this as short and to the point as I can. A returning customer asked me if I could do some "paint chip touchups". I told her I could and she dropped her car off with me this afternoon while I was at my day job. I gave her an estimated price range to fix the chips (I figured there would be at least 10 or so to address) and thoroughly clean the interior of her 2007 Mercedes CLK.

Looked it over after I washed it and I'm not sure what to do. The bottom of the front bumper has a TON of tiny paint chips and then 2 huge spots. I can't possibly dab paint into all these tiny chips. This is probably a job more suitable for a respray or at least with an airbrush. Neither of which I am comfortable with doing. I was planning on using base coat automotive paint to fill the chips, but would Dr. Color Chip possibly work in this case? I know you "smear" it on over the chip so could I just smear it over multiple tiny chips to cover them?? What would you guys do??

There are quite a few small chips on the hood and a few more on the door and trunk. Most of these I feel comfortable addressing, but at this point I think my $100-$180 quote was a little low. Just hard for me to do estimates in person even though I know I should and try my hardest to do. Anyway, I just want to know what you guys would do about the bottom of the front bumper. If Dr, Color Chip is an option I need to order it TONIGHT because she needs the car back by Sunday afternoon!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/98LowRanger/IMG_0162_1.jpg
I realize that this looks like paint splatter, but I can assure you it isn't. Goes across the whole bottom lip of the front bumper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/98LowRanger/IMG_0161.jpg
Close up of the tiny chips and some damage/large chip

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/98LowRanger/IMG_0160.jpg
2 more LARGE chips.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/98LowRanger/IMG_0159.jpg
Close up of the large chips from the previous picture

custmsprty
05-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Looks like that's been run into it's fair share of parking curbs. That's a job for a body/paint shop.

98LowRanger
05-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Looks like that's been run into it's fair share of parking curbs. That's a job for a body/paint shop.

That's what I was afraid of. Just watched a video on Dr. ColorChip from the Autogeek store and it got me thinking that I could at least help some of the tiny chips no?? The owner is super nice and told me "whatever I could do would help". So she isn't expecting perfection which is nice for a change. At the same time I would like to do as much as I can for her.

I just realized that Dr. ColorChip orders can not ship express. So no way I will be able to get it on time. I would still like to know if you guys think it would be a good option though because I was going to get her car again in about a month to wax it. I could just do the interior and wax it this weekend and next month fix the chips when I have the paint.

d33p
05-07-2015, 09:39 PM
That is not a Dr ColorChip touch-up job....its a respray.

jsgntulok
05-07-2015, 09:47 PM
I agree. You just need to be honest with the client and explain that the damage is far worse than you imagined and are just not comfortable trying to repair that extensive damage. Other factors to keep in mind. While she seems "super nice" that can change in a heartbeat and result in damage to your reputation. You quoted $100 - $180 for this job. If you use Dr ColorChip, you will probably need two kits. At $59.00 each, you are really cutting into your profit margin. Finally, this is obviously her DD. After you "spruce it up" for her, will she change her habits relating to the car? Mike Philips stated in one of his postings that if it is obvious to him the car's owner will not change their daily habits of caring for the car, he politely refuses to do the job. You should consider this advice.

2black1s
05-07-2015, 09:51 PM
That is most definitely not a touch-up job. It's not even an easy repaint... There's a lot of prep work involved there.

The best thing you could do for your customer, and yourself, is to call and tell them that you were overly optimistic, trying to be helpful, and made a mistake when you originally said that you could do the touch-up.

98LowRanger
05-07-2015, 09:57 PM
I agree. You just need to be honest with the client and explain that the damage is far worse than you imagined and are just not comfortable trying to repair that extensive damage. Other factors to keep in mind. While she seems "super nice" that can change in a heartbeat and result in damage to your reputation. You quoted $100 - $180 for this job. If you use Dr ColorChip, you will probably need two kits. At $59.00 each, you are really cutting into your profit margin. Finally, this is obviously her DD. After you "spruce it up" for her, will she change her habits relating to the car? Mike Philips stated in one of his postings that if it is obvious to him the car's owner will not change their daily habits of caring for the car, he politely refuses to do the job. You should consider this advice.

I agree with everything your saying and you make some great points.

So Dr. ColorChip could possibly help cover the tiny chips? Yes, I have still not given up hope on this job. I realize I may have to increase my quote and I'm not too sure what I can do about the LARGE spots, but she isn't looking for perfection.

So if this was your customer what would you guys do? Explain to her that the bottom of the front bumper needs to be repainted and there is nothing you can do and then just address the more isolated chips on the rest of the car?

2black1s
05-07-2015, 10:09 PM
... So if this was your customer what would you guys do? Explain to her that the bottom of the front bumper needs to be repainted and there is nothing you can do and then just address the more isolated chips on the rest of the car?

Exactly!

dcjredline
05-08-2015, 12:05 AM
Yeah, sadly that one is out of the realm of touchup paint

Ebg18t
05-08-2015, 05:16 AM
You could order a spray can of paint from paint scratch.com and attempt to use that on the larger spots and get the DR colorchip Kit for the little ones. Its not going to be easy, but best option I can come up with.

98LowRanger
05-08-2015, 11:09 AM
You could order a spray can of paint from paint scratch.com and attempt to use that on the larger spots and get the DR colorchip Kit for the little ones. Its not going to be easy, but best option I can come up with.

I think I am going to order the Dr. ColorChip kit and maybe even their spray can for the few larger chips and the underside of the bumper. The car will get the interior cleaning and addressing some scratches this weekend. I wouldn't be attempting to fix this damage if it was a newer vehicle or high end, but she isn't a car person and anything will be an improvement to her. At the same time, I want to do a good job and make it look the best that I can.

Thanks guys for the quick replies and confirming what I was unsure about! I will keep you guys posted on how it turns out.

MattPersman
05-08-2015, 11:51 AM
A parking lot painter could respray that you could call your local car dealers and ask who they use. They don't do a show paint job by any means but it will be much better than that or with touch up paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk