PDA

View Full Version : Ford Escape Mobile Setup - Am I crazy?!?

VP Mark
05-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Ok, so my Ram 1500 is having some serious problems. It's time to trade, and trade fast. One of the vehicles I've spotted is a 2012 Ford Escape that used to be a fleet vehicle. I desperately NEED a dual purpose work/personal vehicle since my wife is going back to work soon.

The escape has a decent amount of room with the seats folded down, but is certainly not designed to be a work vehicle. I mostly do rinseless washing, so not having a water tank is no biggie.

What does the hive mind think? Go or no go? The price is right, but it's just hard to wrap my head around an Escape as a primary work vehicle.

Thanks!

Evan.J
05-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Mark I use my Chevy Malibu

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image1280.jpg

I take all my polishers, pads, towels, buckets, power washer (electric), master Blaster, Vac, power cords, steamer, and LED lights all in my car.

Audios S6
05-06-2015, 09:04 PM
What are you typically hauling? 5 gallon vacuum, 3 gallon clean freak extractor, mc1375 steamer, 4 buckets, 3 polishers, 4 tool bags worth of cleaners, compounds, polish, pads. That should fit nicely, but not leave much room.

Air compressor, pressure washer, more pads, cleaners, compounds, back-up equipment that's going to be tight.

In my A6, I can squeeze:
Pressure washer, 4 buckets, LGM, mc1275, 4 polishers, stool, knee pad, many cleaners, a large pad container, toolbox of compound/polish, toolbox of interior tools, 3 gal air compressor, tornador, large container of MF towels, hoses and extension cords. It super tight, no room for anything else, but I can make it work in a mid-size sedan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VP Mark
05-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Evan, how much equipment do you pack in it? Thanks! I figure I will need at minimum shop vac, steamer, extractor, bottles, detailers bag, trunk bag, and towel containers. I could fit my generator in it but only if I'm somewhere with no power.

Edit:

Sorry, didn't see the rest of your post.

That is impressive!! I guess I'm being overly paranoid about not having enough room. I've just been spoiled with either my Ram or 6x12 trailer.

Daviddear30
05-06-2015, 09:53 PM
I detail out of my corvette so I feel like an Escape can be feasible. I don't have an extractor.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/daviddear30/20150506_141402.jpg (http://s749.photobucket.com/user/daviddear30/media/20150506_141402.jpg.html)

I take a large husky work tote, 2 5 gallon buckets, hose, shop vac, supplies etc.

jarred767
05-07-2015, 09:26 AM
I use my HHR and there's not much more room in it. It can definitely be done, you just have to be creative about space planning.

I have a 26 gallon tank, 3 buckets, shop vac, steamer, pressure washer, a large container with roughly 25 32oz bottles, a small one with 15 bottles of polish/wax, one large tub and two medium ones for towels and pads, four polishers, a hose, extension cords, a three drawer container for small tools, and a ladder. It's tight, but works great for me. Wouldn't trade it for any other option.

You can make it work if you have the will. Good luck man!

ryance39
05-07-2015, 10:47 AM
I have used both my 540I and my Jeep Cherokee and everything is fine, pressure washer is tough to fit in the BMW though.

The biggest key (at least for me) is keeping things organized and in an order that you will need them. You don't want to be digging to the bottom of your big rubbermade tub to find your wheel brush when you first start the detail. Just takes a little extra planning when you are packing up.

A Ford Escape with a cool wrap on it would probably be a very easy to use work/life vehicle.

vtec92civic
05-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Wow you guys cram some serious stuff into some small cars. I use a Chevy Express van and i still feel like i don't have enough room LoL.

Look into a Honda Element. We have one and they are amazing. They are fantastic on gas, interior is all plastic so it's easy to clean, extremely reliable as it is a honda and maintains its value and the seats in the back fold up on the side to leave a huge open area to store all your detail products for work. It's worth looking in to.

ryance39
05-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Wow you guys cram some serious stuff into some small cars. I use a Chevy Express van and i still feel like i don't have enough room LoL.

Look into a Honda Element. We have one and they are amazing. They are fantastic on gas, interior is all plastic so it's easy to clean, extremely reliable as it is a honda and maintains its value and the seats in the back fold up on the side to leave a huge open area to store all your detail products for work. It's worth looking in to.

That's actually a great point about the Element. I have a friend who has one and I've driven it a number of times. It's Awesome for the price point.

VP Mark
05-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Well, it had some small mechanical problems that have since been fixed. I will be trading my truck in on Monday unless something changes. Thanks for the advice everyone! I will get some pics up ASAP and will be correct/coating it with OCP as soon as time allows.

FinishingTouchA
05-10-2015, 10:51 PM
Mark, don't you use a trailer with the ram? I would be less concerned with "will it fit" and more with "will it decrease my speed, organization, and efficiency"

VP Mark
05-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Mark, don't you use a trailer with the ram? I would be less concerned with "will it fit" and more with "will it decrease my speed, organization, and efficiency"

I use my trailer for special events, other than that it is a huge hassle to park, move around. I found I don't really need that much room for the most part.

ryandamartini
05-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Have you thought about a minivan? Seriously.. One with the seats that fold into the floor would be gold for a dual purpose vehicle.

I just got myself a Tacoma pickup for dual purpose. Midsize trucks sit lower so I can easily pull things over the bed, etc.