PDA

View Full Version : how many section passes

asalesagent912
05-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Just want to know after using nano skin there is some light marring
paint is in farily good condition, no real scratches or swirls. im gonna use a fg 4000
to polish out the marring. how many section passes will be nessasary?.

af90
05-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately the best answer is it depends. If there is minor swirls FG400 may be too aggressive for what is required. Either way one possible way of testing it is to set up multiple test areas divided by tape and go over each area with a different number of section passes such as 4/5/6. Then check the results and move on with the required number of passes over the entire vehicle.

davey g-force
05-07-2015, 12:59 AM
Agreed. Only a test spot(s) will tell you for sure.

lawrenceSA
05-07-2015, 01:51 AM
Knowing the type of vehicle you are working on will help.

A test spot is crucial...

Always use the least aggressive method to get the job done, so start your test spot with a gentle combo like SF4000. If that is not strong enough, then step up to something like PF2500. If that doesn't work, try FG400.

If you do stick with the Menzerna range, remember they use diminishing abrasives and so you MUST work the polish through its buffing cycle to adequately break down the agglomerated abrasives into their individual aluminum oxide particles.

This will typically take somewhere between 6 and 8 passes....

So in other words, you are going to be making 6-8 passes regardless of which Menz polish you use.... and so you use the 'aggressiveness' of the polish to adjust the cut.... not the number of passes.

Generally speaking any marring from claying (or similar [mitt/sponge etc]) is going to be pretty shallow, and will therefore not need an aggressive polish to remove.

asalesagent912
05-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately the best answer is it depends. If there is minor swirls FG400 may be too aggressive for what is required. Either way one possible way of testing it is to set up multiple test areas divided by tape and go over each area with a different number of section passes such as 4/5/6. Then check the results and move on with the required number of passes over the entire vehicle.
im sorry i meant sf 4000 not fg 4000. so you misunderstood me and thought i was using fg 400. I am working on a infiniti Q50. To me this paint seems to be very soft

af90
05-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Ah well either way the concept stays the same. Another way to step up in aggressiveness without overworking the polish is to change pads.

asalesagent912
05-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Knowing the type of vehicle you are working on will help.

A test spot is crucial...

Always use the least aggressive method to get the job done, so start your test spot with a gentle combo like SF4000. If that is not strong enough, then step up to something like PF2500. If that doesn't work, try FG400.

If you do stick with the Menzerna range, remember they use diminishing abrasives and so you MUST work the polish through its buffing cycle to adequately break down the agglomerated abrasives into their individual aluminum oxide particles.

This will typically take somewhere between 6 and 8 passes....

So in other words, you are going to be making 6-8 passes regardless of which Menz polish you use.... and so you use the 'aggressiveness' of the polish to adjust the cut.... not the number of passes.

Generally speaking any marring from claying (or similar [mitt/sponge etc]) is going to be pretty shallow, and will therefore not need an aggressive polish to remove.
ok thanks sounds good