PDA

View Full Version : Bird crap on my brand new paint

Pages : [1] 2

ShirtlssCubsFan
05-04-2015, 11:17 PM
So I just bought a brand new VW GLI in Tornado Red on Thursday. Friday was my first day at work with it and wouldn't you know I walk out to a huge pile of bird crap on on the roof. Luckily, this was right in the middle of my sun roof so it was easily removed with some glass cleaner when I got home.

Today I come out of my office to find another wild ostrich has left his mark right in the middle of my trunk lid. About the only funny part about it is the fact that my parking lot is completely open. I'm parked on the very end and the closest tree, power line, or light pole is 40 yards away. I never ended up with crap on my Jeep when I parked in the same spot for over 3 years, and now two days in a row it's been crapped on.

The problem is that my Wolfgang order is still shipping. My car has a noticeable layer of dust and pollen on it from it being dry and windy here in Oklahoma. Is there a good way to clean this off without giving my car a full bath, but without agitating the dust and pollen and causing scratches? Or am I pretty much left with giving it a full bath with my inferior products?

fly07sti
05-05-2015, 12:03 AM
If you feel your products are inferior, at the very least hose or power wash the bird bomb off sooner than later. The longer it sits, the worse it will etch your paint.

Jeff Wagner
05-05-2015, 12:07 AM
So I just bought a brand new VW GLI in Tornado Red on Thursday. Friday was my first day at work with it and wouldn't you know I walk out to a huge pile of bird crap on on the roof. Luckily, this was right in the middle of my sun roof so it was easily removed with some glass cleaner when I got home.

Today I come out of my office to find another wild ostrich has left his mark right in the middle of my trunk lid. About the only funny part about it is the fact that my parking lot is completely open. I'm parked on the very end and the closest tree, power line, or light pole is 40 yards away. I never ended up with crap on my Jeep when I parked in the same spot for over 3 years, and now two days in a row it's been crapped on.

The problem is that my Wolfgang order is still shipping. My car has a noticeable layer of dust and pollen on it from it being dry and windy here in Oklahoma. Is there a good way to clean this off without giving my car a full bath, but without agitating the dust and pollen and causing scratches? Or am I pretty much left with giving it a full bath with my inferior products?

If you put a wet towel on it and let it dwell for a little while it will loosen the ostrich bomb. lol :xyxthumbs:

jgrubb07
05-05-2015, 01:53 AM
Are you able to Amazon prime some waterless car wash to have it in 2 days. Could always use the pressure washer at a self wash car wash, it will at least knock some the stuff and you will be able to use spot free rinse

lawrenceSA
05-05-2015, 02:28 AM
If I were you I would try to put together an emergency bird bomb kit.... maybe a couple of MF towels, some nitrile gloves (you don't want to be touching bird droppings) and a spray bottle with something like some ONR (there may be better products for this purpose, others could chime in) in it - keep it in a ziplock bag in the trunk.

Then, as soon as you notice the bird bomb, use a MF towel to create a little dam around the bird bomb, then spray a generous amount of your ONR (or similar) onto the bird bomb. Let it sit a while, and then use the MF towel to try and pick the bird bomb up off the paint by wiping from the outside toward the bird bonb, as opposed to wiping it across the paint. This will limit the affected area by not spreading the mess around.

In my opinion, I would rather risk the scratches that may come from removing the bird dropping off dirty paint, than leave it there to etch into the paint.

Invariably, the etching will be deeper than the scratches.... so chose to accept the lesser of 2 evils.

TFTADetail
05-05-2015, 07:56 AM
If it's bad enough then wet sanding would be a simple solution. My wife's Cadillac had that happen and I had to resort to wet sanding the spot.
No problem and very simple if you haven't done it before. Might take a little courage the first time!

pford13
05-05-2015, 08:01 AM
I keep a bag with a small bottle of QD and about 5 MF towels in trunk of each car for such emergencies. Each member of the family has been trained how to respond to "bird bombs"

TFTADetail
05-05-2015, 08:04 AM
I keep a bag with a small bottle of QD and about 5 MF towels in trunk of each car for such emergencies. Each member of the family has been trained how to respond to "bird bombs"

Same here.
Maybe I should keep a DA and some compound in the trunk too. Nah, I probably wouldn't have an electrical outlet to plug into in a parking lot. I already get the "rolling of the eyes" when I feel the need to wipe the vehicles down. LOL

MI Mike
05-05-2015, 08:47 AM
If you care about your vehicle. You will have an emergency kit available.

builthatch
05-05-2015, 08:59 AM
i keep a custom 4 oz spray bottle of opti-clean on hand. you can use it on glass, paint, trim and interior hard stuff.

nothing better for a quick detail emergency than a true waterless wash imo.

Desertnate
05-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Like others have said, keeping a MF towel with a bottle of QD-like product is the way I handle it. I'll leave the pollen and dust alone until a proper bath is possible, but I'll clean up the bird bomb.

ShirtlssCubsFan
05-05-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm swinging by a car wash after work to get rid of it. My AG order has the products I'll be keeping in my trunk bag for emergency spots and spills inside and out, but until then I've got a ratty MF mitt and Meg's Gold Class car wash and California Gold wax at home.

Thanks y'all!

FocusSTguy
05-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Like others have said, keeping a MF towel with a bottle of QD-like product is the way I handle it. I'll leave the pollen and dust alone until a proper bath is possible, but I'll clean up the bird bomb.
Same here. I always have some QD spray and a few MF towels in the car.

There is a bird(s) at work that hit my car on a regular basis. The weird thing is it's usually in the same spot, passenger side on and under the side mirror. Catch it early and it comes off pretty easily. I recently noticed some fine scratches in the mirror and wonder if the bird also caused that.

ShirtlssCubsFan
05-05-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm just wondering what logic the universe uses when it comes to new cars/new washes and nature.

100-year drought? Quick, spend 6 hours detailing your car. Next day = floods.

Same damn parking spot out in the open away from utility lines, poles, trees, etc for 3 1/2 years in a Jeep. Not a single splatter of crap. Two days in a row, it's like an escaped ostrich from the zoo has seen a target painted on my brand new car.

I went from a gas guzzler to a gas sipper. I thought Ma Earth would be happy with me. I guess not!

SYMAWD
05-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Just go to a coin op and blast it off. I'm lucky and have access to a power washer at work. I can spray down my whole car, then soak it with waterless wash and then dry it there.