PDA

View Full Version : Are all carnauba wax the same?

Pages : [1] 2

sito
05-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Are all carnauba wax the same? Is there any difference between brands?

HUMP DIESEL
05-04-2015, 06:35 AM
No and Yes.

All carnauba is derived from the same source, if I am not mistaken, the amount in the waxes can be different as well as what it is mixed with. Pure carnauba would be a bear to work with, so you have to add other oils to make it easier to apply and work with.
Different brands offer purer concentrations of it, so yes, there are differences between brands.

HUMP

Zubair
05-04-2015, 06:35 AM
No they are not all the same. They differ in ingredients used such as polymers,fruit oils,carnauba content etc. If what you meant are there waxes that are just being relabeled and sold at higher prices to the ignorant public then yes, that does happen.

FUNX650
05-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Are all carnauba wax the same?
Of course not.

Is there any difference between brands?
Of course there are differences.

•Setting aside for the moment any and all things that can differentiate between the myriad offerings of Carnauba waxes...

-Keep in mind it is one of those extremely useful "natural chemicals"...as well as being a renewable resource:
that does not have a synthetic equivalent!

Bob

sito
05-04-2015, 07:46 AM
Can you recommend a high quality carnauba wax for me?

MarkD51
05-04-2015, 08:09 AM

You could get as many recommendations as the waxes that are sold here. Which if you bought one can of each, there'd be enough product on hand to last you 2 lifetimes!

So many fine waxes here, the house brands like Pinnacle, Blackfire, Wolfgang, DP, just for starters. Then DoDo Juice, Chemical Guys, P21S, and dozens of others.
And others not sold here, some like Zymol, and Swissvax, and these can be costly but do have their fans as well.

Of waxes which will rank with some of the best, talked about constantly here for many good reasons, long lasting and relatively easy on your wallet, those would be anything Collinite makes. They are all no nonsense, no hype products, they all work extremely well, and there's certainly nothing at all wrong with the look-appearance of a Collinite #845, #476, or #915 Shine.

Some would refer to these as probably all hybrids, certainly nothing at all wrong with that. Luscious smells of Banana, Grape, Coconut, etc might make the experience more pleasant, but actually may do zero to add protection or gloss.

Some may be beauty waxes, more for shows perhaps with their myriad of oils, frangrances and in that same realm, some may not look as good after a wash or two. That's one area where Collinite excels, in that after a number of washes, the look and protection has not considerably diminished.

FUNX650
05-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Here's a couple:
-Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax
-P21S 100% Carnauba Wax

Bob

Riff
05-04-2015, 08:26 AM

I would say to search carnauba waxes on this site and pick one you can afford. I've tried several and they all shine like crazy. I haven't found a bad one yet.

trekkeruss
05-04-2015, 08:44 AM

I like Meguiar's Gold Class, and Mirror Glaze #26. They're great value for the money. But you don't have to use a carnauba wax. There are sealants and coatings too, which are generally more durable than wax.

dlc95
05-04-2015, 09:41 AM
I like Meguiar's Gold Class, and Mirror Glaze #26. They're great value for the money. But you don't have to use a carnauba wax. There are sealants and coatings too, which are generally more durable than wax.

#26 is unique in that it offers some synthetic protection, in addition to the carnauba. Also known as a "hybrid wax".

This was my first professional grade wax, and I still use it to this day. Zymol Carbon, and Surf City Garage Barrier Reef Paste Wax rounds out the waxes I carry with me.

KBsToy
05-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Here's a couple:
-Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax
-P21S 100% Carnauba Wax

Bob

:dblthumb2: P21S. Very easy to work with.

Zubair
05-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Almost all nuba's are hybrids even if they have left out this bit of information in the marketing. Asking for a wax recommendation without more information like price and durability is going to get you a very broad response mostly not meeting your requirement.

ch35iM
05-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Collinite 476s, tough to apply and remove (make sure to use a damp foam applicator), but shine is excellent and durability is better than most sealants, I'd say 6 months minimum on a DD stored outside.

MarkD51
05-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Collinite 476s, tough to apply and remove (make sure to use a damp foam applicator), but shine is excellent and durability is better than most sealants, I'd say 6 months minimum on a DD stored outside.

Not so bad actually. Now something like the old Blue Coral Paste, that could be quite brutal
!

Would make you say Colly 476 is a breeze to apply-take off!

Back in the day, when I used to use Blue Coral on my '67 Stingray, you apply to a foot square section, and best start removing immediately after. Otherwise, you were really going to work! And the old Simoniz Paste was not that much better. Another long gone wax that could work you was Classic Slipstream Airplane Wax. All were hard Pastes.

I've usually never had much problem applying #476 to an entire vehicle, and pick up at the start with removal, and not much a problem at all.

In regards of difficulty, it might often be what one compares #476 to?

addysdaddy
05-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Certainly a wide open question. Ask 3 detailers their opinion and get 6 different answers. FWIW, some of my favorite LSPs in no particular order.

AF Illusion, AF Spirit, Celeste Dettaglio, DDJ Light Fantastic, Chemical Guys 50/50, P21s, Collinite #845, Optimum Spray Wax,

Synergy, Pinnacle Signature Series II, Fusion, Blackfire Crystal Seal

Let me also say this. Much of the difference between these products is in the user experience, rather than the finished look. Yes there are durability differences but that doesn't apply in my case since I'm applying something at least on a monthly basis. In terms of ease of use, AF Illusion, #845, Fusion and BFCS are by far the easier products to apply & remove with BFCS being the slam dunk easiest.

If I only had could use "one" I would put down 2 coats of BFCS, wait 1 hr and by hand top with AF Illusion - that's my favorite combination. Doesn't get easier and IME doesn't get glossier.