PDA

View Full Version : Rotary: Edge foam with Menz SIP??

DantheMan
09-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Getting ready to make my first order for rotary supplies (today!) and have been reading around on what to order as far as pads go. I have made my selection on what wool to order, but when it comes to foam it is still up in the air.

I have read in a few different spots by several different people that the edge 2000 orange, blue, and green (maybe others) pads in general do not get along with Menz SIP. Described as 'squeeling', 'burning smell', and 'generally unpleasant experience'..

It seems odd to me, but I feel that SIP and probably an edge orange or green would probably be my starting point on most cars that aren't completely trashed.. And I like the idea of the automatic centering.. Although thats not something that I must have.. A few local guys I have talked with love the edge system, but they both use Presta polishes.

Anybody here use this combination with any luck?

Nica
09-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I've used this combo my self but haven't really had much luck with it. The odd thing is that it starts really well and then I start running into problems.

I've had great success with Lake Country pads and Menzerna but have even better success with Meg's pads. I was impressed with Meg's pads actually, I didn't expect them to perform as well as they have and the other thing is that there foam is not as stiff as other other foams. Also, when using the rotary I've seen that I very rarely use a cutting foam pad. The Meg's polishing pad works great.

Well just my $0.02 hope it helps.

Jimmie
09-03-2007, 11:00 AM
When Menzerna polishes were first offered at AG someone with experience with them posted that they work best with less aggressive foam pads. The blue Edge 2K wave is the most aggressive foam that I've tried. No problems to date. I do use wool with SIP however. It's great.

DantheMan
09-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Which lake country pads do you use with the rotary?? I have the 6.5" CCS for my PC, but I didn't like them as well as my other stuff. I threw a couple of the 7.5" CCS smart pads in my cart for trying with the rotary.. Maybe my luck will be a little better there. Also threw one of the 7.5" LC curved edge flat pads in my cart, but AG only has blue left.

I have also heard of good reports with the Megs pads.. But I was trying to order everything from one spot if possible. May pick them up at a later date.

Thanks for the advice.. Much appreciated

DantheMan
09-03-2007, 11:22 AM
When Menzerna polishes were first offered at AG someone with experience with them posted that they work best with less aggressive foam pads. The blue Edge 2K wave is the most aggressive foam that I've tried. No problems to date. I do use wool with SIP however. It's great.

Thanks for the response.

How do you like the wave pads in comparison to a flat pad? I wonder if wave vs flat could be the difference between you having good luck and others having trouble...

Nica
09-03-2007, 11:27 AM
The Lake Country pads I have/use are the regular Lake Country pads and they are 6.5inch pads. They work okay but like I said I know use the Meg's pad or the Menzerna pads. I also have the Edge regular pads along with the weaved ones and well hey just hang around the shelf as I prefer using the Megs/Menzerna/Lake Country pads.

Jimmie
09-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the response.

How do you like the wave pads in comparison to a flat pad? I wonder if wave vs flat could be the difference between you having good luck and others having trouble...

I prefer the flat with the PC because I feel that more pad/polish contact with the paint is better and really don't need to disperse any heat. I prefer the wave with the rotary to disperse some heat (I think that's the reason they were developed that way). That said I do use both on the rotary.

Al-53
09-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I tried using Menz with the Edge pads..it just did not work for me...the pads squealed..jumped...and dry buffed to fast...I then swapped over to LC CCS pads and all was well....the pads that worked best for me was a green and white pad...I used the green to cut and white to polish...and results were very pleasing....

AL

Truls
09-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Megs yellow pad and Menzerna 106 is a good comb, just enought cut and finish up nice.

TOGWT
09-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I prefer the flat with the PC because I feel that more pad/polish contact with the paint is better and really don't need to disperse any heat. I prefer the wave with the rotary to disperse some heat (I think that's the reason they were developed that way). That said I do use both on the rotary.

The longer you polish with conventional foam pads, the less effective they become because polish migrates below the working surface of the pad; the pad dries out. Closed Cell Structure technology solves this problem using strategic patterns of partially closed foam cells. These cells slow the rate of polish absorption, gradually releasing polish as needed by the operator. CCS pockets reduce surface tension, prevent pad skipping and allow the operator to run the pad flat on the working surface. These foam pads provide ample surface contact to effectively work the paint. The pockets are small so they don't affect the amount of foam continuously touching the paint during operation. Source- Lake County (LC) website

DantheMan
09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Thank you guys. I believe I am going to try the CCS pads with the rotary for now.. Like I said, I didn't really care for them with the PC. But different machine, hopefully different results.

Mr Dream Machines
09-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Edge and Menzerna don't always get along
These pads are quite porous and you'll need to use more products

I've had great success with LC CCS and eurotech pads.
All bar the meg's burgundy pad work well too.