PDA

View Full Version : New guy trying to keep black Mustang looking new

Adawg88
05-03-2015, 02:15 PM
I just picked up a 2015 Mustang GT 2 weeks ago, and trying to keep it clean is a full time job. It is back, with black leather interior (plus vinyl dash, brushed aluminum dash insert) and black carpet. It shows every speck of dirt.

Started with some Weathertech mats, and tried handwashing it yesterday. Came out so-so. I have to deal with my outdoor spigots not being connected to my water softener, but I also found it harder than expected to dry the car.

So I am coming to you, the experts -- what chemicals should I use where? I have Megs hot wheels, some Megs Ultimate wash and wax shampoo a microfiber wash mitt and microfiber drying towels. I'm happy to replace any and all of this if needed. I just want this car to look new as long as possible. I've never taken care of my cars aside from a very occasional wash, so this is all new to me.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Kamakaz1961
05-03-2015, 02:34 PM
You products seem to be fine. Hopefully your microfiber towels are of a high quality.

I would look into the 2-bucket 2-grit guard method. AGO sells the kit, however, the buckets are simple buckets you can get at any Lowe's or Home Depot. The Grit guard is the key.

As for your ride...that is one BAD AZZ Car!!! This is from 1 Mustang dude to another!!

I would look into claying your ride and then sealant and or wax.

There are a number of products to choose from. Everything sold here on AGO have been approved as quality products by them. Your head will spin from the amount of products they sell. Choose a few and stick with them. You will be fine!!

AGO has a tremendous amount of information that can help you.

Mike Phillips how-to's are great. I would look at getting any one of his books too.

I have been detailing for quite a while and I still read his book "The Art of Detailing". I believe it is out of print but he has an updated version.

BTW, everyone here on this site will help if you need help!!

Have a great day!!

Souldetailer
05-03-2015, 02:42 PM
:iagree: Yep, what K says,

Smart man, and one of the first to welcome new folks onto the Forum. Nice guy. Just search and read, great place this is. Good luck and take care.

Peace,

Darrin

CC268
05-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Man...for someone totally new to this (I am somewhat new myself)...the best thing you can do for yourself is spend $25 and read Mike Phillip's book "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine". I read the whole book (365 pages) in a day and a half. You will become so much more knowledgeable and have a much better idea of how to take care of that Mustang.

It is a VERY easy read (and I am not the biggest fan of reading books).

custmsprty
05-03-2015, 03:18 PM
This is a great combo and a great bargain too.

It's what I have on my Genesis Coupe right now. A great one - two combo.

BLACKFIRE Wet-Ice Over Fire Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-ice-combo.html)

Get a Griot's GG6 and LC or Buff and Shine flat pads: 2 orange pads, 2 white pads 2 black pads and this:

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-gloss-enhancing-polish.html)

That would be a great startitn place.

This is my GC with the Wet Ice over Fire Combo.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/BlackFireMidnightSun2_zpsbbe0213c.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/BlackFireMidnightSun2_zpsbbe0213c.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/BFMidnightSun3_zps241b1cf9.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/BFMidnightSun3_zps241b1cf9.jpg.html)

VISITOR
05-03-2015, 06:40 PM
:welcome:

are you ready to pull out the credit card and do this? ;)
http://i.imgur.com/kmV2O1y.gif
pic courtesy of fellow AG member nizerims... :D

there are many things to consider (since you have a black car you can never be too safe as it shows everything), but here are some basics (there are other similar alternatives as well and everyone has their preferences so you'll have to try a product out and decide for yourself) and can be ordered here at AG. it's a little hard to digest at first, but you'll get the hang of it soon...

2 buckets & grit guards and one wheel/tire bucket / gallon of car wash (no wax) (DG 902) and/or rinseless wash / a few more microfiber wash mitts (megs are great) / waffle weave drying towel, plush x-large microfiber towel, or leaf blower (there are drying devices as well, but cost more) / gallon of APC (D101) or OPC / QID / a dozen or two plush 350-400gm microfiber towels for the paint and can be used all around and are versatile / a package of the yellow kirkland (costco) microfiber towels for non paint related tasks and grunt work / daytona wheel brush, wheel woolies, and wheel & tire brushes and applicators / gallon of quick detailer & spray wax / wax, sealant, or coating (paint and trim) (many to choose from) / gallon of water based dressing (PERL or HD) for tires, wells, trim, and engine / if you don't own a DA, now is the time to purchase one (see my sig) and a great choice is the GG6 (as well as DA backing plates and pads) / polish and compound (many to choose from) / clay or clay mitt/sponge / empty spray bottles and sprayers

i'm sure there are a few things that i left out that i will remember later LOL, but you'll get many more good recommendations on here so keep your eyes and ears open... :)

Cdhoff502
05-03-2015, 07:39 PM
I have an Onyx Black 2014 GMC Sierra. If I were you, I'd first check to see if it needs to be clayed. If so, wash and clay it. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond shampoo on my vehicle. AG offers a variety of clays. Just make sure you get the correct spray lubricant for the clay you choose. If it doesn't need clayed, you can always do what I do: presoak it with DP Xtra High Foaming car shampoo, then follow up with Blackfire Wet Diamond and a sheepskin mitt. Finish with the Cobra Guzzler and Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray. Don't forget the wheels. I use DP Wheel and Tire Cleaner, DP Tire Gel, and DP Wheel Glaze.

samyc300
05-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Congratulations! You may be overwhelmed, but in addition to the above esp. the Blackfire Gloss, I would recommend using Klasse All in One after you clay and before you use Blackfire Gloss or any other wax. If you feel you do not need to clay as the car surface is very smooth after a thorough and proper wash and there aren't upper contaminants, then use Klasse All in One. You can purchase from Autogeek or look online. This non-abrasive, so excellent for new cars and also acts and functions as a a light polisher (against very light under body contaminants such as very light scratches or swirls), in addition to functioning as a cleaner. While this is an all in one product and acts as a sealant protecting your car up to 1 year depending on weather conditions and usage, I would certainly recommend the Black Ice Gloss recommended above or a premium wax such as P21 or Pinnacle Souveran for that added depth and Gloss. If you don't have the time, that is fine and using Klasse All In one is sufficient. Very high quality German product and easy to apply with an applicator and wipe off.

P.S. I used Klasse on 2015 Black Merc and it's priceless - water beads off and it shined to a high gloss. After 24 hrs of applying and removing Klasse, I applied a carnuba wax for added depth and wet gloss effect. Got high quality results I was seeking without the carnuba.