PDA

View Full Version : Browning tire

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

frankprozzoly
05-03-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm having a hard time getting the brown out. I used up my turtle wax tire cleaner. Started using megs super degreaser. Do you have to wipe them down a hundred times. They're being stubborn

GenesisCoupe
05-03-2015, 01:45 PM
I used to have that issue, until i started to use a water-based tire shine. Poorboy's Bold and Bright tire shine has some Vitamins in it which has stopped the brown-ing on my tires. I've been using it for years without issues.

DogRescuer
05-03-2015, 03:16 PM
I used to have that issue, until i started to use a water-based tire shine. Poorboy's Bold and Bright tire shine has some Vitamins in it which has stopped the brown-ing on my tires. I've been using it for years without issues.

La awesome followed by optibond tire gel

OvalDrive
05-03-2015, 03:18 PM
I've had good results using TUF shine tire cleaner. Takes a few applications and some scrubbing but it works really well.

Rsurfer
05-03-2015, 03:30 PM
I'm having a hard time getting the brown out. I used up my turtle wax tire cleaner. Started using megs super degreaser. Do you have to wipe them down a hundred times. They're being stubborn

The browning is called blooming and is caused by using harsh tire cleaners and some solvent based tire dressings.
These harsh cleaners and dressings are leaching out the UV and ozone blockers to the surface of the tire causing excessive browning.
This was explained by Dr. G of Optimum.

silverfox
05-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Always use water based tire cleaners and dressings. It pays to read the label. Industrial and household cleaners are not something I'd put on my own tires let alone somebody else's.

FUNX650
05-03-2015, 04:56 PM
As far as tire protection and tire longevity goes...
I wonder if the "removal of browning" is ever a good thing to do to tires?
I'll say that the answer is: No...probably not.

But if the brown (dis)coloration presents an unlivable-bugaboo; and the tire cleaners used so far has proven to be unsuccessful at its removal:
Put some Lacquer thinner on a disposable cloth and swipe the tire with it. POOF!!! Brown will be gone...gone until the tire's rotation brings some more of the tire's built-in protection to its surface, where it will have its turn: "to turn brown".

Note:
Until the above mentioned built-in protection comes to the tire's surface...a protective product needs to be applied to the tire. What product (tire dressing) are you planning to use?

Bob

frankprozzoly
05-03-2015, 09:20 PM
I just bought megs trim and tire gel. I like the consistency. This is my dads new kia soul. Has 10k miles. Who knows what products were on the tires.

dcjredline
05-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Just today I was cleaning my winter tires for storage. I was using the 3D yellow degreaser for the tires. As I was cleaning the 3rd on I looked at the dry first 2 and noticed the tires were brown. I then busted out the big guns and used the Meguiar's Wheel & Tire cleaner from the detailer line. Worked like a charm!!!!!

evo77
06-08-2015, 02:15 PM
The browning is called blooming and is caused by using harsh tire cleaners and some solvent based tire dressings.
These harsh cleaners and dressings are leaching out the UV and ozone blockers to the surface of the tire causing excessive browning.

Wow, I never knew this!

So I have not added any tire dressing for a few months now and have cleaned the tires the past 4 washes with two products so far:

1. Purple Power - 50/50 mix
2. Megs APC - full strength

I probably apply at least a minimum of 5 applications (plus scrubbing) per tire before the foam becomes mostly white. After the tires dry its dissapointing to still see a little brown on the sidewalls. Is spending a few hours on tires typical to get rid of this browning?? Or do I need to try something different on these new Yoko tires?

I'm trying to get them brown-free so I can apply TW Tire Coat! :(

fly07sti
06-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Tuff Shine cleaner or DP tire cleaner. I prefer the DP cleaner though.

06-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Tuff Shine cleaner or DP tire cleaner. I prefer the DP cleaner though.

+1

Ccrew
06-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Wow, I never knew this!

So I have not added any tire dressing for a few months now and have cleaned the tires the past 4 washes with two products so far:

1. Purple Power - 50/50 mix
2. Megs APC - full strength

(

I wouldn't get Purple Power anywhere near wheels. It's got a crazy high Ph (caustic)

Desertnate
06-08-2015, 03:25 PM

Good to know.

I have noticed that ever since I quit using Meguiar's Hot Tire Shine Dressing, none of the tires on my vehicles ever brown.

So far using the Turtle Wax Tire Sealant and Duragloss 253 leave the tire nice and black for long periods of time.

cleanfreak3
06-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Will Pinnacle Leather and Vinyl Cleaner work to clean tires?