PDA

View Full Version : Black fire wet diamond Sealant not beading well

Pages : [1] 2

Ragas
05-03-2015, 01:32 AM
Hello geeks,

A couple a weeks back I detailed my Hyundai i20 . Below are the steps I followed
1. Wash with megs hyper wash
2. Ironx and tar x and Clayed using Elastrofoam.
3. Applied poor boys black hole
4. BFWD sealant 3 coats with 12 hour curing between coats

Now the surface is super slick and gloss is shimmering. But the beading is not proper. The beads are not tight and round. Rather they are how when the sealant or wax is wearing off-irregular shaped.

The car went through a couple of thunderstorms. So was dirty. Gave a wash with a mild shampoo so see if the beading improves. But no avail.

Is the sealant still present ? Am I doing something wrong ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zubair
05-03-2015, 05:17 AM
Powerlock and WGDGPS give me shorter durability and less tight beads when used over Black Hole and White Diamond. I think these sealants prefer being over bare paint.

Rod73
05-03-2015, 05:26 AM
Two questions I have that may help:

1.) Exactly how did you apply the Blackhole? Thinking maybe too much was put on /not enough excess sufficiently wiped of. Or did you go immediately to Sealant. I know 'some' people like to give it some time before the LSP (depends who you talk to).

2.) How did you apply it? Most importantly the conditions. I.E. was the vehicle outside? What time of day/night any moisture in the air (that includes dew or fog)?

Ragas
05-03-2015, 05:34 AM
Well, I applied black hole with a white ccs pad on a rotary at 600rpm.

It was wiped off well. I am sure of this because the product was caking a bit on the paint so had to use extra elbow grease in some places.

The first coat was applied immediately after black hole.

The conditions outside were 110F but no direct sunlight where I was working .

Swift
05-03-2015, 05:51 AM
Hello geeks,

A couple a weeks back I detailed my Hyundai i20 . Below are the steps I followed
1. Wash with megs hyper wash
2. Ironx and tar x and Clayed using Elastrofoam.
3. Applied poor boys black hole
4. BFWD sealant 3 coats with 12 hour curing between coats

Now the surface is super slick and gloss is shimmering. But the beading is not proper. The beads are not tight and round. Rather they are how when the sealant or wax is wearing off-irregular shaped.

The car went through a couple of thunderstorms. So was dirty. Gave a wash with a mild shampoo so see if the beading improves. But no avail.

Is the sealant still present ? Am I doing something wrong ?

You might be having bonding issue. Bonding between glaze and sealant. Sealants sometimes require chemical stripping (IPA wipe down) before application. I had similar issue. Glaze + sealant gives awesome looks. I think if you stick to same brand of products, you will be fine, mixing products (glaze of different company and sealant of another) doesn't always work. Atleast it didn't work in my case. :props:

DetailedByPrecision
05-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Try using the sealant as a stand alone product. I always get great results.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/lemon801/904c24d6-1d16-49c9-9b9c-c9ac051eecaf.jpg (http://s356.photobucket.com/user/lemon801/media/904c24d6-1d16-49c9-9b9c-c9ac051eecaf.jpg.html)

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/lemon801/4d03ed7a-14a2-4474-ac0e-9dbe63af7a26.jpg (http://s356.photobucket.com/user/lemon801/media/4d03ed7a-14a2-4474-ac0e-9dbe63af7a26.jpg.html)

Ebg18t
05-03-2015, 07:13 AM
My guess is there was some oils left behind black hole that prevented complete adhesion of the sealant. Depending on the the combination of products being used I will complete an IPA or Eraser wipedown after polishing and prior to sealing.

Or your mild wash was not enough to clean the surface completely and the sealant is still dirty.

HateSwirls
05-03-2015, 07:21 AM
I always apply the sealant first, on a well prepped surface.
Using Duragloss 601 will offer you longer durability.

I suspect you had a bonding issue with oils on the clear.

I'd buff it over agin using a fine polish , ISP wipe then apply the 601, lastly apply the sealant.

Question... Are you getting any sheeting ?
If so you may be OK

Ragas
05-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Don't have duragloss products with me currently.

The mild car wash was with megs hyperwash at 20ml in 3 gallon of water. So that should have removed the dry dust. Besides the surface is as smooth as a baby's bottom after the wash and dry. The problem is with beading.

Like mentioned above could be incompatibility between the products. But since I have applied 3 coats am not so inclined to repeat the process again.

Will wait for another month and will strip and re apply.

But this tight coupling of products is not a good idea.

venerzky
05-03-2015, 08:12 AM
I prefer sheeting over beading. Here's a picture of my car with BFWDAFPP.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/dc0725d318b10eb474bedff73070de6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SameGuy
05-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Still over 40 degrees in the Capital Region? Wow. Yeah, as long as the water is sheeting relatively well, I'd wait before starting over. Personally I'd use a body shop safe polish before BFWD, or at least a thorough IPA wipe down.

Ragas
05-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Still over 40 degrees in the Capital Region? Wow. Yeah, as long as the water is sheeting relatively well, I'd wait before starting over. Personally I'd use a body shop safe polish before BFWD, or at least a thorough IPA wipe down.
Yea it's nearly 40 degree Celsius here in South India [emoji3]. Water is sheeting well. Especially on the vertical panels where hardly any water stays a minute after rinsing

The whole point of applying a glaze is lost if I use IPA before sealant.

Anyway lesson learnt. Have read few threads where collinite 845 has been successful with black hole

custmsprty
05-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Powerlock and WGDGPS give me shorter durability and less tight beads when used over Black Hole and White Diamond. I think these sealants prefer being over bare paint.

:iagree: I get months of beading down here in hot sunny Florida, I would not apply the blackhole.

d33p
05-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Chemical guys EZ creme glaze is supposed to work with sealants on top of it. I have some and will try BFWDAPP on top and report back.

Ragas
05-04-2015, 12:54 AM
:iagree: I get months of beading down here in hot sunny Florida, I would not apply the blackhole.

Chemical guys EZ creme glaze is supposed to work with sealants on top of it. I have some and will try BFWDAPP on top and report back.

Do not have any other glaze other than Black hole.

Yes, my experience with BFWDAFPP earlier has been good. Like mentioned in multiple posts looks like Black hole is the culprit.

Will wait for another month before the smoothness wears off and then will strip down everything and re-apply.

Since some people have had good experience with BH + Colli 845, will try this combo on the bike once and see how it works