PDA

View Full Version : Sonax bsd uv protection?

driverone
05-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Is Sonax bsd a full fledged sealant and has uv protection etc in addition to its great beading properties? I'm figuring out if I have to use it on its own or only as a topper.

The FK1000p for example is advertised as having "heavy duty resistance to UV, hard water, acid rain, bug remains, tree sap, and other contaminants".

lyodbraun
05-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Not sure if it does or not, but I use it as a stand alone product and it works great, also use it a lot as topper to sonax net shield it winter...

FUNX650
05-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Is Sonax bsd a full fledged sealant and has uv protection etc in addition to its great beading properties? I'm figuring out if I have to use it on its own or only as a topper.

The FK1000p for example is advertised as having "heavy duty resistance to UV, hard water, acid rain, bug remains, tree sap, and other contaminants".
If...when you say Sonax bsd...you are talking about
SONAX Brilliant Shine Detailer; and:
depending upon your definition of "full fledged"...

•Then I'll say...IMO:
-No, it is not likely a "full fledged Sealant".
-Rather, it is to be considered a "maintenance-product".

Also:
I'm not going to be too concerned if Sonax BSD provides UV-protection, or not...especially if I'm using FK-1000P, that is; and: if what you have posted, (listed above), about FK-1000P is true. :)

Bob

PiPUK
05-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Keep in mind that lots of products are resistant and durable when it comes to uv. That does not mean that they block it!

Rsurfer
05-03-2015, 05:24 PM

It's made as a topper for PNS so why not use it that way. The best beading on the planet.

driverone
05-03-2015, 10:05 PM
If...when you say Sonax bsd...you are talking about
SONAX Brilliant Shine Detailer; and:
depending upon your definition of "full fledged"...

•Then I'll say...IMO:
-No, it is not likely a "full fledged Sealant".
-Rather, it is to be considered a "maintenance-product".

Also:
I'm not going to be too concerned if Sonax BSD provides UV-protection, or not...especially if I'm using FK-1000P, that is; and: if what you have posted, (listed above), about FK-1000P is true. :)
Bob
It was the advertising blurb from the AG store website. Collinite states- "Holds up month after month against harmful outdoor corrosives; UV, rain, snow, salt, dust, dirt, grime, bugs, staining and more" on its website.

I'd rather having it a one step process for waxing/sealant'ing instead of having to use FK-1000p first with its long 24hr curing time. I found that the FK-1000p needed time to gas out to cure, a few hours wasn't enough. If BSD is a cut down version of PNS (just like reload is a watered down version of cquartz), it would be ideal since I have to clay/polish more frequently.

After googling, I found some posts(incl several from MikePhillips) which say that that UV protection from waxes are likely to be subpar and the real protection is maintained by taking care of the clearcoat that is by sufficient cleaning/polish/waxing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyh1yOtq4c
17. Do car waxes provide real UV protection? (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?4340-17-Do-car-waxes-provide-real-UV-protection)

PiPUK
05-05-2015, 01:51 AM
After googling, I found some posts(incl several from MikePhillips) which say that that UV protection from waxes are likely to be subpar and the real protection is maintained by taking care of the clearcoat that is by sufficient cleaning/polish/waxing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyh1yOtq4c
17. Do car waxes provide real UV protection? (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?4340-17-Do-car-waxes-provide-real-UV-protection)

As I alluded to. Think about it, carnauba wax can hold up for weeks, months and perhaps years of UV exposure. However, the same plants are somewhat dependent on the fact that it does NOT block UV (photosynthesis won't work too well!).

Unfortunately, most of the information which gets from companies to end users is 'interpreted' by the marketing departments. My experience, which is significant, is that most marketeers know very little (which is often worse than nothing) about the technical aspects. Something like the UV performance, where you have a major technical difference defined by a very minor difference in terminology, can often become outright lies because of the lack of knowledge of those writing the literature. Worse still, the internet is such that anyone can read something and start repeating it as irrefutable fact - Dawn wash up liquid stripping LSP, for instance.

At this time, the only product which I would be confident to block UV (i.e. which would protect your finish, rather than simply not break down itself under UV), would be the optimum sealant which actually has patented protection.

ski2
05-05-2015, 06:43 AM
PiPUK-- Did you mean the Optimum Sealant or the Optimum Coatings that have UV protection???

Rsurfer
05-05-2015, 03:13 PM
PiPUK-- Did you mean the Optimum Sealant or the Optimum Coatings that have UV protection???

Optimum Car Wax has 2 UV patents.

PiPUK
05-05-2015, 03:19 PM

This, I believe.

Setec Astronomy
05-05-2015, 03:57 PM
I have read the patents, and IIRC they are not for the UV inhibitor, but for the method used to suspend the inhibitor and make sure it adheres to the surface and isn't wiped off.

Patent US6685765 - Water based protectant containing UV absorbers - Google Patents (http://www.google.com/patents/US6685765)

Patent US6669763 - Water based protectant containing a reaction product of two ionic surfactants - Google Patents (http://www.google.com/patents/US6669763)

swanicyouth
05-05-2015, 05:09 PM

And OptiCoat was permanent.

Rsurfer
05-05-2015, 05:51 PM
And OptiCoat was permanent.

User error!