PDA

View Full Version : Need compound . Polish advice

Siciliang35
05-02-2015, 08:15 PM
I had a few brutal scratches on my black g35 that i got most out by wet sanding with 1500/2000/and then 2500.

This is the first time I've done this , first time using compound polish. I watched plenty of vids and read on it.

I got some turtle wax rubbing and polish compound. A harbor freight wool pad and polish pad that goes on the drill ....

So here's my questions .......
Actually the first thing i did was use touch up stick that i ordered online on one of the deepest scratches . It was aboyt 2 inches long. I let it dry for a week and sanded it level with 2500

I then tryed rubbing compound with a drill attachment on the rest with no good results ... Now this scratch had to be from either car wash or shopping cart becuase it goes all across the bottom , about 5 feet long and very thin, it also is zig zaged, and has little space between the 5 feet. Also left a few other deeper scratches on top part of door. Anyway after trying compynd And polish with no good results i started wet sanding.

I wrapped the sand paper around a small wood block aboyt 1 in wide and 1.5 long. Got some of the scratches oyt with 2000 and most oyt with 1500.... Then went over it with 2000 and than 2500.....:

Now this left dull spots...: looked like when You breathe on a window...... Went back over it with rubbing compound on the drill attachment and then with polish....

It came out preety good but it still looks hazy.....

Questions are

1 how long do i have to rub the compoynd for on one area?
2 does the compound take away hazyness???
3 how much compound in one spot ?
4 does the polish take away the hazyness ? What is the purpose ?
5 as for the touch up stick..... Its not as dark... Will the clear coat darken it? Both are ordered online with paint code.
6 when do i apply and how many clear coats? .
7 what is used remove compound and polish when need be?

Siciliang35
05-03-2015, 07:38 PM
This is the worst forum iv ever been on

mbkite
05-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Get rid of that last post the experts will be back on Monday

mwoolfso
05-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Pictures would help in terms of getting really good advice specific to your situation. You explained it well but the pics will definitely help.

1 how long do i have to rub the compoynd for on one area? As long as you want to (relative to how well it is correcting the problem or until the product is mostly dry.
2 does the compound take away hazyness??? Probably not. Compound is like 1500 grit sandpaper (albeit safer) and it is not supposed to "polish"
3 how much compound in one spot ? Pea-sized drops once the pad is primed.
4 does the polish take away the hazyness ? What is the purpose ? Yes it should and will. Polish refines the paint surface and amps up the gloss. As well as leaving a little protection.
5 as for the touch up stick..... Its not as dark... Will the clear coat darken it? Both are ordered online with paint code. Touch-up paint will darken slightly when it dries.
6 when do i apply and how many clear coats? . One layer of clear should be OK. Use multiple thin layers of the paint and build up layer upon layer until the defect rises every so slightly higher.
7 what is used remove compound and polish when need be? A microfiber cloth after the compound and polish step. To remove polishing oils some IPA will work

vobro
05-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Hopefully you showed more patience while sanding than you've shown here.

d33p
05-03-2015, 09:07 PM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

With that attitude, I hope nobody helps you.

mwoolfso
05-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Hopefully you showed more patience while sanding than you've shown here.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

With that attitude, I hope nobody helps you.

Take it easy guys. It's just a forum.

norcal6
05-05-2015, 01:16 AM
I had hoped my first post would be to thank whoever it is that helps me with my first order to get the best products for the budget that I have, but after reading this, well this will be my first. From everything I have read on this forum you couldnt be more wrong. Of all the post that I have read the advice and comments are all respectful and explained so we can understand what they are telling us. These are busy people evident by the work they turn out, It migh take a day or two to get an answer. It's nice to know that these folk's will take time out of there busy day's to help those of us that need. That being said I can only hope to turn out car's that look as good as all the one's I've seen in this forum.

TFTADetail
05-05-2015, 07:53 AM
Menzerna line up fan here. Great results with a rotary or DA!