PDA

View Full Version : What kind of pads should I buy?

creaky
05-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm switching from 6" to 5" pads and would like some advice on what to get for paint correction. The two vehicles I'll be caring for are a brilliant black Audi A5 (paint is hard as nails) and an atlas gray Porsche Cayman S (paint is soft as butter).

I've been using the regular Lake Country flat orange and white pads but think I need something a little more heavy-duty for the Audi (Wolfgang Uber compound with the orange pad was only partly successful). I finish with Meguiar's M205 finishing polish with the white pads.

Thanks in advance.

conman1395
05-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Spent plenty of time with a black Cayman S and am about to be taking care of a brand new Carerra S. I've been using the Lake Country flat pad that you mentioned but am transitioning my pads to Buff and Shine. I like them better. I do like the Meguiar's foam discs too, but still pretty Buff and Shine.
Going for a yellow cutting pad or a Meguiar's cutting pad will definitely step up the cut. For Audi I like M101. I used it with a Meguiar's cutting pad on an A7 and it finished remarkably well. I followed it up with the Opti-Coat primer polish and didn't see too much of a difference.
M101 is absolutely great.

Ebg18t
05-02-2015, 07:21 PM
How many orange pads fix you use? I tend to use 5-6 orange pads doing a car the size of a A5. Or go the the yellow. I find with Menzerna/Wolfgang I need to use more pads that other compounds to keep the cut-performance going.

Lake has a few hybrid pads that are very intriguing and will be part of my next order. They have one that is around a orange cut and one that is a grey-white level cut.

conman1395
05-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Spent plenty of time with a black Cayman S and am about to be taking care of a brand new Carerra S. I've been using the Lake Country flat pad that you mentioned but am transitioning my pads to Buff and Shine. I like them better. I do like the Meguiar's foam discs too, but still pretty Buff and Shine.
Going for a yellow cutting pad or a Meguiar's cutting pad will definitely step up the cut. For Audi I like M101. I used it with a Meguiar's cutting pad on an A7 and it finished remarkably well. I followed it up with the Opti-Coat primer polish and didn't see too much of a difference.
Oops, meant to say Q7, not A7.
I used 5 cutting pads, cleaning them with compressed air. Without compressed air I would have used more pads.
Then I used orange 4 inch Buff and Shine pads. I don't remember how many I used though.

creaky
05-02-2015, 07:35 PM
How many orange pads fix you use?

I use about 5-6 pads as well for the A5, I get away w/ one less on the Cayman since the hood has protective film. I use the towel method to clean them off and then switch after a panel.

creaky
05-02-2015, 07:37 PM

Thanks! I'll go with M101 and yellow pads next time around on the Audi.

North26
05-02-2015, 07:39 PM
I've always cut with Megs MF cutting Discs and finished with white pads. Ever since I went to MF discs I cannot use anything else. I don't know why but they just work so well and quick.

If you haven't given them a look try them out. They are an awesome pad everyone should at least try

VISITOR
05-02-2015, 07:49 PM
the B&S 5.5" Flat Pads are an excellent choice and are high quality. Also, the Megs 5" DA Foam Discs are great as well in my limited use. the yellow pad is similar to the LC white, the maroon is a notch up from the orange pad, and if you have any more severe defects you can get the MF Discs...

The Guz
05-03-2015, 12:23 AM
Meguiar's new thin foam discs.

creaky
05-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Thank you for the replies, everyone.

2011 Kona Blue
05-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Love Lake County Pads and that's all I use.