PDA

View Full Version : Which pads for my needs?

SamRothstein
05-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Hi guys, just getting started in this hobby and looking for a little guidance. I'm brand new to the detailing game, and looking to keep up and maintain my personal cars which include a '15 Subaru Outback in carbide grey metallic, '10 Toyota Corolla in super white, and an '11 Triumph Speedmaster (motorcycle) in black metallic. The Outback is brand new so I've just washed (Meg's ultimate wash and wax)and waxed it with NXT. The Corolla and bike were only ever washed, mostly at drive thru washes, so I made an attempt at cleaning up the neglected paint using Meg's Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish and NXT wax on a Harbor Freight DA, with Harbor Freight pads. The paint is a lot better with all the oxidation and scuffs gone, but there are still swirls. The bike also has swirls I'd like to correct. So I think I've decided to get some LC pads and plates in 5.5" and 3" sizes, but still struggling with the color options. I don't expect to do much cutting, but will obviously need polishing and waxing pads. Which ones will be easiest and most forgiving for a totally inexperienced person? My goal isn't the perfect show car shine, these are all daily drivers, but I'd like to keep them pretty and protected. I'd appreciate any advice. TIA!

dlc95
05-02-2015, 10:35 AM
From LC, the flats and CCS orange, white, and grey are very popular, because they work, and are proven.

Keep in mind that your towels could be re-swirling your paint. I've had that happen, and it's very frustrating. All the Meguiar's products you are using are very effective, and should be able to deliver the results you desire.

I have orange, green, and blue CCS pads ready to use myself.

SamRothstein
05-02-2015, 11:22 AM
I have some "OK" towels I think, but definitly plan on upgrading to some of the cobra products on here eventually. I was also leaning toward the LC flats or CCS lines. Hopefully another promo code pops up when I've got some extra dough!

North26
05-02-2015, 07:49 PM
As long as your towels are above 300 GSM they are good. Personally I will only use towls between 300-400. Anything higher the fibers are usually longer and they just flop around on the surface.

I know a lot of people on here love a high GSM towel but I personally will not use them. Spending $13 on a MF is insane. Regardless of size.

Bunky
05-03-2015, 06:07 AM
I have some "OK" towels I think, but definitly plan on upgrading to some of the cobra products on here eventually. I was also leaning toward the LC flats or CCS lines. Hopefully another promo code pops up when I've got some extra dough!

I would recommend the flat pads and do not worry there are usually regular sale promotions. It is now May so Memorial Day is coming up.

I would second the comment about avoiding overly plush towels for polish and wax removal due to handling. You want something that will not buckle or roll when folded in quarters.

Don M
05-03-2015, 06:38 AM
I'll just add my voice to say that you should go with the flat pads, I recently switched over and the performance is night and day. Too, I agree about the length of the knap in the mf towels, there have been times when I had to use the "short" side of the towel to remove product because the other side of the towel was too "fluffy and "soft" to be effective.