PDA

View Full Version : Foam Lance.... Have I been using it for the wrong reason?

ssmith96
05-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Just two weeks ago I got myself a foam cannon and some Chemical Guys Honey Dew.

I previously was using the 2bm but thought I would give foaming a try since it seems like everyone uses it.

My procedure was to rinse, foam, wash a panel then rinse mitt in bucket with grit guard, then move on to the next panel, and repeat until final rinse then dry.

Now I'm reading some people saying its meant as a prewash and I still need to do the 2bm. Some people say I should foam, let it dwell, rinse that foam, then refoam and wash the car.

Whats the deal? I haven't noticed any additional swirls on my car doing this method the past two weeks, and I really love it! Washing is easier then ever and my car looks amazing when I am done.

CG doesn't advertise Honey Dew as a "prewash" nor do they mention it being specifically for that.

Its been polished and topped with Polymer Net Shield which also helps, lets me dry the car very easily.

minorc
05-01-2015, 03:37 PM
I only use foam to break down loose dirt on the surface, or to strip wax off. I still use 2BM after

aim4squirrels
05-01-2015, 04:14 PM
What you did was fine, save that I would rinse (or foam and rinse) the car first if it were heavily soiled.

Essentially you did a two bucket wash omitting the soap bucket in favor of the cannon to apply the soap to the surface of the car. Perfectly acceptable, IMHO.

I often do what you did, I just go one panel at a time and rinse as my car is black, it's already hot down here, and it dries too fast to get to the whole car.

Ebg18t
05-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Just two weeks ago I got myself a foam cannon and some Chemical Guys Honey Dew.

I previously was using the 2bm but thought I would give foaming a try since it seems like everyone uses it.

Not everyone is using it.. I think they are more of a PIA then they are worth. I bought one a while back, used it briefly then it got disposed of. I thought it was a waste of $$ and time.

Mizzoutiger
05-01-2015, 06:02 PM
I use the foam cannon (MTM w/Kranzle 1120T pressure washer w/Adam's shampoo) as you describe here..."foam, let it dwell, rinse that foam, then refoam and wash the car." Foam cannon/soap is great to get majority of the dirt off car, but it won't get all the dirt, especially "dirt film." That's where 2bm comes in. After foam cannon process (foam, dwell, rinse, refoam), I use 2bm with CarPro merino wool wash mitts and dry w/Master Blaster and/or Ultimate Guzzler sprayed w/quick detail spray (prefer BFWD Polymer Spray). Process best cleans car and reduces chance of micro-marring/scratching finish, critical for black/red cars I own.

Calendyr
05-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Doing a snow foam before washing is a very safe way to remove the heaviest dirt from the car with no danger of scratching the paint.

On dirty vehicle I do a pressure washer rinse, then I foam the car up and let it dwell for a while. I then power wash off and proceed with a 2 bucket wash.

It all depends on how dirty the car is. If there is no heavy dirt, I think it's a waste of money (and time) to foam the car up. Just pressure washer rinse then do 2 bucket wash.

As it was stated before doing only a snow foam cleaning is not enough, it won't remove everything.

SYMAWD
05-01-2015, 08:53 PM
I use a foam gun instead of cannon, but do the same as you. Just a one bucket wash. Fresh suds from the gun and one bucket with grit guard for rinsing my wash mitt.

wdmaccord
05-01-2015, 10:32 PM
foam gun is a PITA for me, therefore I only use it for decon on full details or usually my first 2BM after winter as a pre-soak. I just got a pressure washer so I find in more situations, I can pressure rinse, then just do a rinseless wash, then I would do before I had a PW.

I don't think there is any wrong way to do it though. If your method works for you and you enjoy it, and your car looks great with no scratches, then stick with it.

silverfox
05-02-2015, 06:44 AM
PW/rinseless is soooo fast and uses only a couple of gallons. I've never used anything with suds or foam since. Never looking back.

ski2
05-02-2015, 07:05 AM
I'm with silverfox--pressure wash to remove any grit then a rinseless or conventional wash--never had a problem.

FUNX650
05-02-2015, 07:38 AM
My procedure was to rinse, foam, wash a panel then rinse mitt in bucket with grit guard, then move on to the next panel, and repeat until final rinse then dry.

Now I'm reading some people saying its meant as a prewash and I still need to do the 2bm. Some people say I should foam, let it dwell, rinse that foam, then refoam and wash the car.

Whats the deal?
I haven't noticed any additional swirls on my car doing this method the past two weeks, and I really love it! Washing is easier then ever and my car looks amazing when I am done.

Due to what you've stated (that I've bolded in your
above post)...I'll suggest that this is the deal:

Always do the best you can...
and ignore all the rest!

Bob