PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help in the Bay Area

Drew.culp
04-30-2015, 03:27 PM
My wife got me a GG6 and Meguair's DAMF kit for my birthday :buffing:, and I was hoping to find someone local to the San Francisco Bay Area to help me.

I have a red honda civic and I think the Microfiber pads are too aggressive for my honda paint. I was hoping to learn with my car before I attempt my wife's Mercedes with the DAMF kit that I've read will do a good job with.

Was hoping to get some local help before I spend more money on pads, polish, and maybe a coating like Blackfire crystal.

I'm in Martinez near Pleasant Hill and Lafayette. I'm also willing to drive anywhere in the bay to get some help. I'm truly looking for someone to mentor me through this process and not do it for me. I plan on purchasing supplies and getting them messy.

dcjredline
05-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Hopefully someone will chime in and help a "brother" out.

davey g-force
05-01-2015, 12:28 AM
I was gonna say the same thing about the MF pads being too aggressive for your Honda paint.

While that may not necessarily be the case, I would purchase some foam pads and start with those on a test spot.

Mikertt
05-01-2015, 01:15 AM
You definitely would want to start with foam pads first. I would say, try some light polishing foam pads first before anything else. Microfiber pads would be fairly aggressive to begin with. If you do want to use the microfiber kit, start with the finishing pad first as it is the least aggressive between the two. Also, try it with their D301 Microfiber Finishing Wax because I think it has a very fine polish mixed in there to give you very light correction. See where that gets you first before you go to the cutting pad and the D300 Microfiber Compound. Too bad I'm not back in California right now because I live in nearby Hercules.

Drew.culp
05-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Ok well I just ordered a good supply of 4" and 5.5" pads of many colors and some SF4000. I also ordered FG400 but probably won't use it on the Honda. I will keep reading and watching YouTube videos until my supplies get here and I have the time off to get started.

psnt1ol
05-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Ok well I just ordered a good supply of 4" and 5.5" pads of many colors and some SF4000. I also ordered FG400 but probably won't use it on the Honda. I will keep reading and watching YouTube videos until my supplies get here and I have the time off to get started.

There are several of us (Autogeeks) who lives in the area that meet and work on group project every so often.

fly07sti
05-02-2015, 01:04 AM
There are several of us (Autogeeks) who lives in the area that meet and work on group project every so often.

We've had 2 Bay Area meet ups and will probably doing another in the near future. I'm in Alameda.