PDA

View Full Version : Help a Female Newbie - Interior Care Products

Pages : [1] 2 3

dancinmama
04-30-2015, 01:47 PM
I recently bought a new Lincoln MKC and am putting together my wish-list of products to keep it looking that way. For now, I have decided to have a professional take care of the paint, but I thought it might be a fun hobby to take care of the interior and exterior (other than the paint) myself. I’m going to focus on the interior in this thread.

General Info: The interior headliner, seats, and plastics are a cream color. The carpet, dash, smooth plastics, etc. are a dark brown or are black.

I am retired so the car is not driven like a daily driver (as you guys call it) would be. It will be taken on road trips

The car is garaged, but I live in a climate that is hot in the summer (thus the light interior). I use a dash cover when I'm out and about, more to keep the interior cool than anything else.

My goal is to leave the surfaces as natural as possible; but stuff happens and when it does, I want to be prepared.

I am building a wish list of products to purchase to take care of the interior/exterior. Here are a few that I’m considering for the interior….so far.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus
My understanding is that this can be used on fabrics, leather, and vinyl to protect those surfaces. It is not a conditioner; it’s a protectant.

Question: My only reservation is that it does not say anything about protecting the interior plastics . Are interior plastics so durable that they don’t require protection? If the interior plastics do not require protection, so far this product is my first choice.

Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel
My understanding is that this is a gentle cleaner that does not contain detergents and can be used on every interior surface. My main use for the product will probably be the leather/vinyl, but I can also eventually see it being used to periodically clean the seatbelts, all-weather floor mats, plastics (that haven’t been protected), etc. I have perforated, leather seats. My main concern is dye transfer from jeans which I wear all the time.

Question: I plan to apply it gently, possibly with some kind of brush, especially to the perforated areas of the leather and to the seatbelts as needed. I saw a video where a guy used a brush that looked like a large paintbrush that a portrait painter would use. Can anyone tell me what that is called so that I can include one in my order.

Question: My understanding is that this product is just a cleaner, which is what I plan to use it for. Am I correct that it is not also considered to be a conditioner?

Question: Is this so gentle that with semi-regular, gentle use, it does not require the re-application of a protectant when used to clean leather? I’m looking for a cleaning product that does the job but does not require a protectant to be reapplied after every cleaning.

The Edge Detailing Swab Foam Tips 10 Pack
For use as needed to apply product to cracks, crevices, etc.

Question: I saw the things that looked like long Q-tips and then I saw these. I am hoping that these can be rinsed so that they can be re-used, unlike the long Q-tips which would have to be thrown away. Is there another product applicator for tight spaces that might be better?

I already have a bunch of microfiber towels/cloths in various sizes.

I think that’s it for now. I’m hoping that the (2) Ultima products listed will be all that I need to clean, protect, and maintain the interior. Please let me know whether I’m on the right track.

Feed back please

addysdaddy
04-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Well any of the Ultima products will typically be a solid choice. I use the Interior Shampoo and apply it with a MF Pad then wipe the excess with a long nap MF Towel. Then I would suggest applying a leather conditioner such as Pinnacle which I've been using for >20 years. Current batch works great but...they changed the fragrance and it doesn't smell nearly as nice as the old school version. Wolfgang version might smell a bit better but...YMMV.

BTW, Ultima paint guard wash is a fantastic shampoo. And welcome to AGO.

dancinmama
04-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Well any of the Ultima products will typically be a solid choice. I use the Interior Shampoo and apply it with a MF Pad then wipe the excess with a long nap MF Towel. Then I would suggest applying a leather conditioner such as Pinnacle which I've been using for >20 years. Current batch works great but...they changed the fragrance and it doesn't smell nearly as nice as the old school version. Wolfgang version might smell a bit better but...YMMV.

BTW, Ultima paint guard wash is a fantastic shampoo. And welcome to AGO.

Do you know what detailers call that brush that I mentioned?

rms64
04-30-2015, 04:13 PM
I really like this brush for interior leather / coated leather:

Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/natural-horse-hair-interior-upholstery-brush.html)

Maybe this is something like you're referring to in your original post?

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Detail Brush 1 inch (http://www.autogeek.net/boars-hair-car-detailing-brush.html)

Good luck! :xyxthumbs:

dancinmama
04-30-2015, 05:01 PM
I really like this brush for interior leather / coated leather:

Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/natural-horse-hair-interior-upholstery-brush.html)

Maybe this is something like you're referring to in your original post?

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Detail Brush 1 inch (http://www.autogeek.net/boars-hair-car-detailing-brush.html)

Good luck! :xyxthumbs:

Thanks so much for the links. The Wheel Woolies brush is not exactly what I saw, but I think it might work. I'm looking for something that is very gentle to use on leather when applying the Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel so as not to damage the leather or the protectant applied to it when cleaning is needed (i.e. eventual denim transfer or the front of the center console where you grab it to open it). These are areas on the leather where I think I may eventually need a cleaner.

Can you answer any of my other questions? I was hoping to get a few more responses to my questions before ordering any products. In particular, I'm hoping that the UISG is gentle enough that I don't have to reapply the protectant after each cleaning or am I waaaay off base?

Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum to get much of a response. :dunno:

rms64
04-30-2015, 05:25 PM
I recently bought a new Lincoln MKC and am putting together my wish-list of products to keep it looking that way. For now, I have decided to have a professional take care of the paint, but I thought it might be a fun hobby to take care of the interior and exterior (other than the paint) myself. I’m going to focus on the interior in this thread.

Once you get started, you will likely become addicted! Congrats on the new MKC. Hopefully your pro will be willing to give you some pointers.

General Info: The interior headliner, seats, and plastics are a cream color. The carpet, dash, smooth plastics, etc. are a dark brown or are black.

I am retired so the car is not driven like a daily driver (as you guys call it) would be. It will be taken on road trips

The car is garaged, but I live in a climate that is hot in the summer (thus the light interior). I use a dash cover when I'm out and about, more to keep the interior cool than anything else.

My goal is to leave the surfaces as natural as possible; but stuff happens and when it does, I want to be prepared.

I am building a wish list of products to purchase to take care of the interior/exterior. Here are a few that I’m considering for the interior….so far.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus
My understanding is that this can be used on fabrics, leather, and vinyl to protect those surfaces. It is not a conditioner; it’s a protectant.

Technically, a sealant for interior surfaces but I'll be honest and say I'm not sure the distinction matters. I haven't personally used this product (which is weird, because I thought I pretty much had one of everything) but Ultima products are very highly regarded and I don't think you'll be disappointed. The horse hair brush that I linked is VERY gentle and I believe would be excellent for cleaning this up after application - mine shed (shedded? sheditized?) a bit a first but is now behaving itself - I use on my BMW seats a lot.

Question: My only reservation is that it does not say anything about protecting the interior plastics . Are interior plastics so durable that they don’t require protection? If the interior plastics do not require protection, so far this product is my first choice.

My opinion would be something like 303 protectant would be a great choice for your interior plastics. You can also use on your dash - great that you are using a mat in your hot environment too. 303 offers some UV protection and I am a big fan.

Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel
My understanding is that this is a gentle cleaner that does not contain detergents and can be used on every interior surface. My main use for the product will probably be the leather/vinyl, but I can also eventually see it being used to periodically clean the seatbelts, all-weather floor mats, plastics (that haven’t been protected), etc. I have perforated, leather seats. My main concern is dye transfer from jeans which I wear all the time.

Great choice - and would compliment that horse hair brush well - can't go wrong with this on all of the items you mention above. Dye transfer shouldn't be an issue with the Interior Guard above and should clean up nicely with this.

Question: I plan to apply it gently, possibly with some kind of brush, especially to the perforated areas of the leather and to the seatbelts as needed. I saw a video where a guy used a brush that looked like a large paintbrush that a portrait painter would use. Can anyone tell me what that is called so that I can include one in my order.

Question: My understanding is that this product is just a cleaner, which is what I plan to use it for. Am I correct that it is not also considered to be a conditioner?

Yes, this is a cleaner but if protection is there with the Interior Guard this should be a great combination. You may want to look into other leather conditioning products but may be overkill. I REALLY like Pinnacle Hide Soft Leather Conditioner.

Question: Is this so gentle that with semi-regular, gentle use, it does not require the re-application of a protectant when used to clean leather? I’m looking for a cleaning product that does the job but does not require a protectant to be reapplied after every cleaning.

Yep, that's correct and should suit you well. Maybe apply the USIG annually depending on use.

The Edge Detailing Swab Foam Tips 10 Pack
For use as needed to apply product to cracks, crevices, etc.

Probably not necessary with a few good brushes but also can't hurt! Can also find stuff like this at beauty supply stores (I do venture in alone)

Question: I saw the things that looked like long Q-tips and then I saw these. I am hoping that these can be rinsed so that they can be re-used, unlike the long Q-tips which would have to be thrown away. Is there another product applicator for tight spaces that might be better?

See my comment above :xyxthumbs:

I already have a bunch of microfiber towels/cloths in various sizes.

I think that’s it for now. I’m hoping that the (2) Ultima products listed will be all that I need to clean, protect, and maintain the interior. Please let me know whether I’m on the right track.

Feed back please

You've made great choices and these products should work well for you. Have fun with it!

Hoosiers
04-30-2015, 07:30 PM
+1 for the Aerospace 303 protectant. This is all I've ever used on my interior. I spray some 303 protectant on a mf and hit the dash / upper door panels at least on monthlys because of the UV protectant 303 provides. Dries to the touch quickly and isn't overly glossy, imo.

Every 6 to 8 weeks, I spray some 303 protectant on a mf and run the towel around all the door seals to keep them moisturized too.

My leather seats are coated (and ventilated), I've used the 303 on them with no issues.

303 Aerospace Protectant 16 oz (http://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html)

dancinmama
04-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your input, RMS64. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

I had the 303 (Aerospace) on my list as a possibility, especially for the exterior plastics but read that it gets glossier over time and I want to maintain the "new" matte finish so I decided against it. I am hoping that whatever I select as a sealant/protectant for the exterior black plastics maybe can also be applied to the light interior plastics....or maybe sealing the interior plastics isn't really necessary because they're not that delicate and I think should clean up nicely with the Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel when the time comes.

I'm not afraid to venture alone into beauty supply stores cuz I'm a girl. LOL Obviously the bristles on the "paintbrush" have to be stiff enough to agitate and lift dirt but not so stiff as to damage the leather, but as I have never done this, I would not know what that is "by feel" which is why I asked for suggestions of specific brushes that I might purchase. My "strategy" is to apply the shampoo to the brush head and then use the brush to apply the cleaner /agitation to any area that appears to need cleaning. I am most concerned about the perforated parts of the seats, but will also use the brush on "delicate" areas like the seatbelts. I like the larger brush you provided the link to, and will keep it in mind for down the road when I decided to "shampoo" all leather surfaces vs spot cleaning areas likely to give me the most trouble. The smaller brush that you suggested may very well be the one that I get for now.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

rms64
04-30-2015, 07:40 PM
No problem, glad to help and I'm sure others will chime in.

I use 303 on interior surfaces only, and haven't had the "glossier over time" experience at all. My 7 year old BMW dash looks as good (better?) as new.

Maybe look into CarPro DLux for exterior plastic trim - it's fairly freakin awesome. :xyxthumbs:

As for the brush texture, etc. I get what you're saying and you'll find what works for you through trying some things out. There are other really nice brushes here in the AG store - maybe others can provide additional feedback.

One more...I have this and use it for lots of things - now that I think about it it may suit your purposes well for smaller more precise areas:

1” Round Detailing Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/b15.html)

Best of luck to you!

Hoosiers
04-30-2015, 07:44 PM
By the way, I used the 303 on exterior trim and it doesn't hold up well at all in the rain. :) But its great on the interior!!

Have fun!!

dancinmama
04-30-2015, 09:19 PM

I use 303 on interior surfaces only, and haven't had the "glossier over time" experience at all. My 7 year old BMW dash looks as good (better?) as new.

Maybe look into CarPro DLux for exterior plastic trim - it's fairly freakin awesome. :xyxthumbs:

As for the brush texture, etc. I get what you're saying and you'll find what works for you through trying some things out. There are other really nice brushes here in the AG store - maybe others can provide additional feedback.

One more...I have this and use it for lots of things - now that I think about it it may suit your purposes well for smaller more precise areas:

1” Round Detailing Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/b15.html)

Best of luck to you!

That's it!! That's the one!! Im the MAN

It looks like a big portrait painter's paintbrush to me.

Thanks sooooo much!!

rms64
04-30-2015, 09:27 PM
That's it!! That's the one!! Im the MAN

It looks like a big portrait painter's paintbrush to me.

Thanks sooooo much!!

Yahtzee!!

Just call me the blind squirrel....glad that's what you're looking for although I see it's on backorder :rolleyes:

Glad to help - that's why we're all here!

dancinmama
04-30-2015, 09:32 PM

Best of luck to you!

I definitely will look up the Car Pro DLux before I make a decision. My shortlist for a product to seal/protect the exterior plastics, rubber, etc. include Blackfire Total Trim and Tire Sealant and Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus. The problem is that there are sooooo many different products/product lines to choose from and several of them sound awesome. I had no idea that there would be so much to choose from. :confused: I realize that most of the products will go a long way, so I want to be very careful to choose a great product and then stick with it.

I've spent all day looking at various forums and threads, reading product reviews, etc. and am having a blast learning about all the different products!! I hope using them will be half as fun. :buffing:

dancinmama
04-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Yahtzee!!

Just call me the blind squirrel....glad that's what you're looking for although I see it's on backorder :rolleyes:

Glad to help - that's why we're all here!

:cry:

Does that mean that I can't order it? Or can I order it and they'll send it when it comes in?

cduprey
04-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Interior selection looks solid, as for exterior- +1 on dlux, and I would also recommend tuf shine tire coat. I believe turtle wax makes a tire coating similar to tuf shine that many recommend. If you're going for ease of maintenance, imo coatings are the way to go. But everyone prefers something different!