PDA

View Full Version : Can i top Power Lock with Blacklight?

Billy Baldone
04-30-2015, 07:15 AM
Like the title says can I put black light on top of power lock and will it make a difference visually. I love the way Blacklight looks but want more protection.

Setec Astronomy
04-30-2015, 07:18 AM
Sure, why not?

Billy Baldone
04-30-2015, 07:33 AM
All right. Should finish a black CTS coupé on Friday. I will post some before and after pics. This will also be my first use of HD Cut/ polish

FUNX650
04-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Should finish a black CTS coupé on Friday.

This will also be my first use of HD Cut/ polish
Forget about the Blacklight/Powerlock for a moment:

HD Cut?!?! :eek:
Have you even done the obligatory "Test Spot"?

Bob

Billy Baldone
04-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Yes, why do you ask?

Billy Baldone
04-30-2015, 08:37 AM
Too agressive for GM clear?

silverfox
04-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Not unless your goal is to remove Powerlock. Blacklight has fine abrasives in it.

Billy Baldone
04-30-2015, 08:44 AM
I have tried Blacklight on GM black before with no real luck at removing swirls. I have had great results with 105/ FG400. In GM black. I was very happy with my test spot using HD cut. Am i missing something here?

FUNX650
04-30-2015, 08:57 AM
I have tried Blacklight on GM black before with no real luck at removing swirls. I have had great results with 105/ FG400. In GM black. I was very happy with my test spot using HD cut. Am i missing something here?
•I asked about the HD Cut's "Test Spot".
-You replied that it had been done.
-You're satisfaction with the results is what matters! :props:

•Blacklight, with it having (light) abrasives:
-Should not be considered a true "Finishing LSP", IMO.
-Possibilty exists that: BL atop PL...will not be a very fruitious endeavor: even to the point of BL negatively effecting the underlying Powerlock.

Bob

Matt@Revive
04-30-2015, 09:05 AM
If you like the look of Blacklight but want more protection you need to use the Blacklight first and top it with PowerLock.

my opinion is to skip the Blacklight and stick with Powerlock, if you are polishing the paint i don't thing Blacklight will improve on the results.

aim4squirrels
04-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Your order of operations is backwards.

Blacklight, then power lock.

While no one is completely certain on what category of product blacklight really falls in, (due to dubious marketing claims about everything it can do with no technical backing from the manufacturer), you can pretty much believe the following statements about it:

It has a very fine abrasive cut, at a jeweling or burnishing level,

I believe it has a chemical cleaner component in it as well, as I've used it like Klasse AIO to remove oxidation,

It fills larger scratches like a glaze,

The protection it leaves behind lasts about one month tops.

In a lot of ways, it mirrors KAIO with better glaze/filling properties.

actuator_mz3
04-30-2015, 11:05 AM
You can but it will be a waste. Blacklight needs to go under powerlock

Billy Baldone
04-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess i got it backwards