PDA

View Full Version : Iron X needed for new vehicle?

CC268
04-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Sorry for all my questions...I am reading Mike Phillip's book right now (The Complete Guide to a Show Car Finish) and he mentions Iron X. I am wondering if this is something I should buy or not as my truck is brand new. I also have chrome bumpers and I would be worried about it getting on the bumpers.

So...should I purchase some of this?

oldmodman
04-29-2015, 11:47 PM
YES!!
A few years ago I bought a brand new Yellow car and it was covered with rail dust. Everywhere you looked there were little tiny red specks.

It took two painstaking days to remove all of it with the clay bar available at the time (2002)

I sure wish iron-X had been available then. It would have done the job in two applications with absolutely no paint marring.

dcjredline
04-30-2015, 12:05 AM
YES for sure

kecko
04-30-2015, 12:30 AM
I first started using Iron X in 2011 when I took ownership of my Kia Optima. When I officially took ownership I was in the middle of my 7th day of 9 straight working 12hr shifts. I was tired so the excitement of my new car took the backseat for a few days because it was all about work and sleep. Once I got my first day off I noticed what I thought was little rust spots all over the place. A little digging on the net revealed it to be ferrous iron, which led to me buying Iron X, which was also my first purchase on AG.

This is a picture of Iron X working on my Optima about 8 days after taking ownership of my brand new Optima. As the posters above me mentioned, YES, I would definitely purchase it and you'll be amazed how much crap is already on your brand new truck.

http://i.imgur.com/UYdvKti.jpg

CC268
04-30-2015, 12:35 AM
Is the 500mL bottle enough to do my truck??

trekkeruss
04-30-2015, 12:51 AM
I'd buy a liter if I were you. You can always use the leftover on your wheels in the future.

kecko
04-30-2015, 12:53 AM
Well I had some disagreements with a similiar question a few days back about how much to use. When I use it I use quite a bit but I spray down the entire car, including glass, wheel wells, wheels, etc...I also hit stubborn areas a second time if I have to so I might go through nearly an entire 1 liter bottle. I might have 3 of 4 oz's left.

That's my process and I am not concerned with how much I use or the price. This stuff is worth the money to me. My thought process is the 500ml bottle is like 19.99 and 1 liter is 32.00. I get more for my money with a 1 liter bottle and I know I'll use it sooner or later.

It seems the 500ml bottle is adequate for most people so maybe that's what you can try and see how far it goes for you.

CC268
04-30-2015, 01:06 AM
Thanks guys, I will go ahead and get the 1L bottle

kecko
04-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys, I will go ahead and get the 1L bottle

:xyxthumbs:

CC268
04-30-2015, 01:27 AM
One BIG question...I have chrome bumpers and a chrome grille. Would I be alright to just avoid spraying these or do I have to actually completely cover any chrome up (which would be a total PITA)?

EDIT: Hmm...on their website it says it actually is safe on chrome trim...

kecko
04-30-2015, 01:41 AM
You can spray it on everything. I have never had any issues with sensitive areas of the car like vinyl or chrome...

The only caveat is to not allow it to dry out on the surface. I spray it on while car surface is cool to the touch. Let it do it's thing for around 3-5 minutes and spray off really good. If I notice any stubborn areas I will repeat.

They also sell TRIX which is Iron X + Tar remover. I have used this in the past as well and works.

vobro
04-30-2015, 07:18 AM
Wash first, spray IronX then use a damp paint safe pad/sponge and lightly spread IronX for complete coverage. Whenever I use a new product I always use a test spot if I have concerns before just going wild..

Mike Phillips
04-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Somewhere on this forum I've used this analogy, if I can't find it I'll retype it as an article but here's the jist of it....

Using Iron X on your car's paint, whether it's BRAND NEW or years older, is like car insurance.

You want to have car insurance but you actually don't want to use it. Make sense?

You want to use Iron X but you don't actually want to see it working. If it's working, that means if the paint is bleeding, that means you had iron contamination and that means you had corrosion and deterioration taking place to a layer of paint that is thinner than a 3M Post-It Note.

What you really want is to use it and see ZERO bleeding effect. That means your paint was NOT contaminated and this gives you peace of mind as you then do the rest of the steps for your detailing project.

Make sense?

:)

BBSD_Zach
04-30-2015, 08:14 AM
^^^^
That may be the best analogy I've seen used yet!

CC268
04-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys. I got a 1L bottle coming my way. Now...is this safe on plastic trim? Of course I won't purposely spray this on the plastic trim but I am sure some of the run off will get on it.