PDA

View Full Version : Terrified Coating New F-150 Platinum w/CQuartz UK

nickehg
04-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Well I've been stalking you guys for quite some time now and have been honing in on my skills over the years. I just purchased a new 2015 F-150 Platinum and wanted to coat it as it sits outdoors 24/7.

My plan is to:

*Exterior*
- Wash 2BM w/ CG Citrus W&G
- Iron X
- Nanoskin Speedy Prep Sponge Fine Grade w/ ONR
- Polish w/ Sonax Perfect Finish w/ White LC Flat Pads (Porter Cable 7424 XP)
- Eraser x2
- Coat w/ CQuartz UK
- Follow w/ Reload an hour later

*Wheels/Tires*
- Megs APC on Tires
- Sonax FE
- Clay w/ONR
- Eraser
- Coat w/ CQuartz UK
- Follow w/ Reload
- CarPro PERL on Tires

I'm scared that the 30ml of CQuartz UK won't be enough to coat the entire truck plus the wheels, especially being as heavy handed as I'm sure I will be on my first coating. My question is will the 30ml be enough to coat the entire truck or should I order an extra 30ml? Should I just order some DLUX for the wheels or should I just shut up and show you the pictures after I'm done.

The truck actually APPEARS to be swirl free from the dealership but who knows what surprises I'll find after a wash/decon.

Anyways without further ado, here she sits as of today.

http://i60.tinypic.com/fw4pat.jpg

Ebg18t
04-29-2015, 08:30 PM
30ml should be plenty. I did 2 coats of CQUK on my Touareg and still have about 25% of the bottle left.

MarkD51
04-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Me, I had a little bit different results.
50ml bottle of UK on my Tahoe, and new 22" Chrome wheels, coated in and out before tires were mounted.

I did almost go through the entire bottle of UK. Of course the Tahoe has a lot more roof than the pickup does, but still. Just the paint, entire roof rack and wheels were done, did not apply to anything else like glass-etc.

I'm not sure that I went "heavy handed"? I insured I had full coverage on the entire vehicle. Temps were about 70F degrees on application.

MarkD51
04-29-2015, 08:57 PM
I'd definitely go with a 50ml bottle. Better to have a little too much than not enough.

PERL is a nice product, have lots on hand myself, but might want to consider the new Turtle Wax Endura Tire Coating Kit. It lasts much longer than PERL. PERL looks-works beautiful but the shortcoming is it doesn't last that long on Tires

PS: That is one beauty of a truck. Being a 4-door with that big roof, there may actually not be that much a difference in square footage of paint surface between my SUV and your pickup.

If you already have the 30ml bottle, might be wise to get another.
And the DLX is great to have on hand as well, do all exterior plastic trim with it.

nickehg
04-29-2015, 08:57 PM
I'll skip the wheels this time around and probably order some DLUX or Hyd02 for them instead seeing as how CQUK is still out of stock here. Thanks for the reply!

SYMAWD
04-29-2015, 09:12 PM
I think it will be enough if you skip the wheels. 15 mL did 2 coats on my Civic Si to give you an idea.

aim4squirrels
04-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Do wheels last. If you've got enough, you'll know by the time you get there.

nickehg
04-29-2015, 09:23 PM
I have the panoramic sunroof so thankfully (I guess) it's mostly glass on the roof. I think I'll order another 30ml bottle of UK just to be safe. How does CQUK hold up on glass such as a sunroof being constantly baked in the hot/humid FL sun?

Audios S6
04-29-2015, 09:59 PM
I did a 2014 F-150 just a couple weeks ago. You can see how much I used in the photo. I have done many applications so I know not to go overboard, but I could easily do the entire truck two more times with 30ml, this application did not include the wheels.

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag290/detailedcreationsmpls/IMG_6619_zpsnqlriimo.jpg (http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/detailedcreationsmpls/media/IMG_6619_zpsnqlriimo.jpg.html)

nickehg
04-29-2015, 10:09 PM
I did a 2014 F-150 just a couple weeks ago. You can see how much I used in the photo. I have done many applications so I know not to go overboard, but I could easily do the entire truck two more times with 30ml, this application did not include the wheels.

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag290/detailedcreationsmpls/IMG_6619_zpsnqlriimo.jpg (http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/detailedcreationsmpls/media/IMG_6619_zpsnqlriimo.jpg.html)

Wow those reflections are incredible! Great work.

Corey06
05-08-2015, 12:21 AM
I have the panoramic sunroof so thankfully (I guess) it's mostly glass on the roof. I think I'll order another 30ml bottle of UK just to be safe. How does CQUK hold up on glass such as a sunroof being constantly baked in the hot/humid FL sun?

Did you ever get around to doing your truck? I have a GMC Sierra 2500HD which is pretty much the same size as your rig, I also only ordered the 30ml of cquartz but am unsure if it is going to be enough to do the whole truck.
Thanks!

nickehg
05-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Did you ever get around to doing your truck? I have a GMC Sierra 2500HD which is pretty much the same size as your rig, I also only ordered the 30ml of cquartz but am unsure if it is going to be enough to do the whole truck.
Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, I just finished up yesterday. I was actually able to coat the entire truck with plenty to spare for the 20" rims. It was a lot of real estate but it went on pretty easily.