View Full Version : Rupes or flex?

Pages : [1] 2

shinedetailing
04-29-2015, 03:54 PM
I have success with my megs da but looking to expand my stable. Was looking to
Hear arguments for and against the rupes 15 or 21 and the flex

Mp0wer
04-29-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm actually in this same situation, both look like great polishers, I just can't decide on which one, and no I can't buy both :(

duffthebluff
04-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Something to ponder: Flex 3401 has a different backing plate compared to others. So if you have 4" pads, you'd need to get Lake Coutry's backing plate made specifically for Flex. You wont be able to use your other backing plates for Flex. I believe Rupes can be interchanged with other backing plates such as Megs DA or PC.

Mp0wer
04-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Is it true that microfiber pads don't work well with the flex

Kamakaz1961
04-29-2015, 05:58 PM
Something to ponder: Flex 3401 has a different backing plate compared to others. So if you have 4" pads, you'd need to get Lake Coutry's backing plate made specifically for Flex. You wont be able to use your other backing plates for Flex. I believe Rupes can be interchanged with other backing plates such as Megs DA or PC.

FYI Duff; Neither the Flex or Rupes DA's backing Plates can be interchanged with a PC, Megs or GG DA. The Flex and the Rupes have their own specific backing plates. The PC, GG or Megs backing plates are interchangable

IMO BOTH the Flex and the Rupes are the TOP DOGS in the DA place. That being said, if I had a choice it would be the Flex. It is the only Forced rotational DA on the market. All others are free floating DA's.

The Backing plates for the Flex makes it a more versatile machine than the Rupes. I have the Flex and the PC and since I have the Flex, I have not used my PC for quite a while. If I do it is for waxing or using a 3" pad with the 2 7/8" backing Plates.

The Flex cost less and is a workhorse and more versatile than a Rupes. The Rupes, IMO is the BEST free floating DA out on the market today.

Either way you can't go wrong. Look at all the Flex vs Rupes threads (there are many) and hopefully, that will help make your decision.

Mp0wer
04-29-2015, 06:26 PM
I found a thread where Kevin brown and mike phillips give there advice, plus there's more links to more threads on this subject in the same thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/88520-flex-vs-rupes.html

mbkite
04-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Flex = tank
Rupes = sports car
They both have learning curve
I have both and in the rupes camp.

rlmccarty2000
04-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Love my Rupes 21 and 75. You don't need much else. I keep my PC to spread wax. Ahhhh, life is good.

Ebg18t
04-29-2015, 07:28 PM
I like the direct of the Flex, but the larger throw of the Bigfoot can be nice on large panels.. But the larger throw can also get in the way in tighter areas. What is the throw like on the 15 & 21? That being said I chose the Flex and very happy.

duffthebluff
04-29-2015, 07:54 PM
FYI Duff; Neither the Flex or Rupes DA's backing Plates can be interchanged with a PC, Megs or GG DA. The Flex and the Rupes have their own specific backing plates. The PC, GG or Megs backing plates are interchangable

IMO BOTH the Flex and the Rupes are the TOP DOGS in the DA place. That being said, if I had a choice it would be the Flex. It is the only Forced rotational DA on the market. All others are free floating DA's.

The Backing plates for the Flex makes it a more versatile machine than the Rupes. I have the Flex and the PC and since I have the Flex, I have not used my PC for quite a while. If I do it is for waxing or using a 3" pad with the 2 7/8" backing Plates.

The Flex cost less and is a workhorse and more versatile than a Rupes. The Rupes, IMO is the BEST free floating DA out on the market today.

Either way you can't go wrong. Look at all the Flex vs Rupes threads (there are many) and hopefully, that will help make your decision.

Thanks for correcting brother

Evan.J
04-30-2015, 06:05 AM
As you can see in my signature I have both the Flex and Rupes and I can say that both are great machines and both have their place in detailing.

When it comes to picking a machine think about the entire picture. So nets say down the road something happens to either machine what can you do to get it fixed? I know flex has a repair facility in Nebraska where you can send it in and get the machine and repaired. If you need a faster turn around time than the normal week then you just give them a call at powerhouse tools and let them know.

Support with Flex North America is second to none. If you ever want to troubleshoot and isses Chris is amazing and fixing out what might be wrong over the phone. Bob, well he is a standup guy and loves the Flex company and the most down to rather genuine person I have had the pleasure to work with.

When holding the Flex you can tell right away the build quality is outstanding. The machine feels solid in your hands and it doesn't feel like it would break even if dropped on the ground.

With the Flex, it's a machine that has never been copied or duplicated over the 10 years it has been on the market. The flex was designed to do one thing, Polish Paint.

I like the Rupes as well with the larger throw but I have run into issues where the large throw of the Rupes caused marring on the very softest of paints. Additionally, if you have to work on a concaved panel of a vehicle the pad on the Rupes may stop spinning until you get the proper angle for the pad to get spinning again.

I love both machines but more often than not you will see me reach for the Flex.

big dave 666
04-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Hi

i have both but the one i wouldnt be without is the flex.....i wont go on because everything that needs to be said has...the rupes is still a fantastic machine, but because of its forced rotation its gotta be the flex....as for microfibre pads for use with the flex they can be grabby i use purple wool pads with mine

HUMP DIESEL
04-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Both

You can never have too many tools.

HUMP

shinedetailing
04-30-2015, 07:48 AM
So it seems most people are leaning towards the flex. Currently I have a large supply of the LC 6.5 ccs pads. Anyone use these pads in combo with the flex or is there a more proffered pad?

custmsprty
04-30-2015, 08:11 AM

Rupes cannot be interchanged nor can you use different size Rupes plates on the same machine, hence why I have three Rupes tools.

With the Flex you can get an interchangeable backing plate system.

And I love all three of my Rupes tools.