PDA

View Full Version : Anyone care to doublecheck a newb list?

maxnukem
04-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Hey all! New member with data overload. I've been surfing this site and scouring youtube for about a week to learn more about taking car of my car's appearance. Went in on maxpider fitted mats for the wife's Odyssey and weatherbeater fitted for my Juke to help keep the interior a bit cleaner (3 kids, baseball games, scouts, and I have a gravel parking lot at work). Never polished a car before, but I really want to clean up my paint so I went by HF today to get their DA buffer. I had a 20% off coupon and found out they are running a "red tag" sale on it right now and that they carry Meg products. I went ahead and got a 32oz bottle of 205 (crushed case 50% off) so I wound up spending about 70$ for both items. Pretty sure cashier wasn't supposed to apply coupon to red tag sale... but hey!

So. I have: HF DA buffer, Meg 205, Meg clay kit, Meg Scratchex 2.0, Black Magic tire wet, and a "just joined the forum discount burning a hole in my pocket.

The real question I have here is what to do with the discount and which pads to initially purchase for cobwebs and a bit of bug etching on the hood and roofline?

I was planning to purchase a 5" LC flexible backing plate and a 6 pack of 5.5" LC CCS pads. 3 orange, 2 white, and a green

Should I be looking at different pads or additional product to go on them?

I know i have a long clay session ahead of me prior to polishing (especially on the honda roof) but I want to make sure I'll have all the materials on hand before I get started for the first time.

I'm betting I'll need something stronger down the road for some paint corrections that need to be done where i had an argument with some brush over right of way.

I'm open to suggestions or links that any of you think would be helpful. Thanks!

Desertnate
04-29-2015, 09:07 AM
What type of wax or sealant are you going to use? After doing all that correction, you'll want to put down a protective layer of some sort. There are plenty of great options regardless of budget.

You might also want to think about a protectant for the rubber/plastic exterior trim to keep it from fading

maxnukem
04-29-2015, 01:15 PM
I was planning on finishing off the big tin of Surf City Garage Carnauba wax I've been using for the last couple years.
If you think its garbage tho, I'll probably go with Meg Ultimate paste wax.

I haven't really researched sealants yet but would lean toward Meg's something since I have found it to be available in my area and I would think i want to stay in the same product line.

My car is Black Sapphire and the honda is Dark Cherry Pearl if the color of the car makes any difference in wax selection. I'm leaning towards "not". But there sure are a lot of folks out there that would disagree

I'll see if I can take some time tonight to research a good dark car sealant/wax combo

mwoolfso
04-30-2015, 06:36 AM
Go to a local auto or marine store and get Collinite 845; ditch the Surf City Carnauba. You will not be disappointed after 1 or 2 layers.

Desertnate
04-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Go to a local auto or marine store and get Collinite 845; ditch the Surf City Carnauba. You will not be disappointed after 1 or 2 layers.

Not to mention when he only has to apply it twice a year instead of every few weeks!

dcjredline
04-30-2015, 09:30 AM
I would steer you away from the CCS pads. I fell for that too. They arent BAD there is just better out there. The new Meguiar's pads or some LC flat pads...even Buff n Shines are good.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here will help you.

trashmanssd
04-30-2015, 11:53 AM
Agree get flat pads or thin pads the will transfer more power to the paint and will keep there rotation more easily. Also mark the back of your backing plate with marker on the edge(I did it in 4 spots or quarters) so you can see it moving and make sure its rotating. You want enough pressure to notice a slight slowing in the rotation but not so much as to nearly stop it.
Also may want to look into a surface prep towel over clay its a lot easier and way way faster. I like this one but there are many
Detailer’s Speedy Surface Prep Towel Combo, clay towel, sm arnold clay towel, clay bar towel (http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel-combo.html)

this is one the cheaper ones its a little small and I feel it will wear out rather quickly (i have both these brands)
Optimum Opti-Clay Towel Fine Blue, optimum clay towel (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-clay-towel.html)

Nano Skin is also very popular have not tried those yet.

goldenlight
04-30-2015, 12:01 PM
don't forget the finishing pad to apply the wax with.

buy 2 Grit-guards to place in 5 gallan buckets.

mhoran89
04-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Clay towel or pad (like nano scrub/skin) works wonders and saves mad time.

Two buckets w grit guards is a must.

I love CG hex-logic pads. Hold up well and had good results. Buff-n-shine pretty much better makes them (w/o CG logo). Also love buff-n-shine black microfiber heavy compounding pads. So awesome!

Had great results w CG blue guard trim protectant. But I know poor boys makes a great one (others too).

I won't get into the wax/sealant argument.

Also good to invest in some good trigger spray bottles, and a decent quick detailer.

Hope this helps.

Corey06
04-30-2015, 06:48 PM
Agree get flat pads or thin pads the will transfer more power to the paint and will keep there rotation more easily. Also mark the back of your backing plate with marker on the edge(I did it in 4 spots or quarters) so you can see it moving and make sure its rotating. You want enough pressure to notice a slight slowing in the rotation but not so much as to nearly stop it.
Also may want to look into a surface prep towel over clay its a lot easier and way way faster. I like this one but there are many
Detailer’s Speedy Surface Prep Towel Combo, clay towel, sm arnold clay towel, clay bar towel (http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel-combo.html)

this is one the cheaper ones its a little small and I feel it will wear out rather quickly (i have both these brands)
Optimum Opti-Clay Towel Fine Blue, optimum clay towel (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-clay-towel.html)

Nano Skin is also very popular have not tried those yet.

I have been looking into these surface prep towels, I have found the ones you have talked about along with ones that attach to a porter cable and another that you use as a wash mitt when washing your vehicle have you tried any of the other ones? I was just curious to which one worked the best as I am looking at getting something like this and then cutting out the claybar.
Thanks

trashmanssd
04-30-2015, 07:11 PM
I have been looking into these surface prep towels, I have found the ones you have talked about along with ones that attach to a porter cable and another that you use as a wash mitt when washing your vehicle have you tried any of the other ones? I was just curious to which one worked the best as I am looking at getting something like this and then cutting out the claybar.
Thanks

Yeah I love my Arnold prep towel works well feels durable and when fold twice it fits my whole hand. i would guess 25 or so uses till I would want get new one and reassign this towel to wheels or right behind the wheels crap areas.

The Oti-towel works well but when folded twice my ring and middle finger are one knuckle off the towel and same with thumb. I dont see getting more then 10-15 uses out of the towel before reassigning it.

The Nano skins I have not tried they make the sponge ones the wash mitts and the ones for DA. The DA seems like it s more for professionals to speed p the process even more. I wan a sponge as they are cheap and could use that during washes to touch up spots that take a beating instead of waiting till you do the whole car. the mitt looks like nice idea but pice wise to close to the towel and has less working area.

I like the towel as you can fold them to get 4 working surfaces before you need to stop and rinse out the towel well. I keep a bucket of warm NOT HOT water with water less wash and grit guard to rinse the towel in. I leave all 3 mine in the water to soften and lube them. I have the opti in fine and medium grade and arnold in fine grade. I think they have similar value the arnold and nanoskin towels just require a little larger outlay of cash up front, If you are unsure and want try one the opti works well and its only 25 bucks not 50-60. the sponge is cheap but tiny working surface and the mitt is still under half the size of the towels.

maxnukem
04-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the responses!

I do use a 2 bucket system (at least I do now) with most of my old gear assigned to the tire /wheelwell bucket. I just don't have grit guards yet.

I have prep cloth or nanoskin on my wish list but having just purchased the Meg clay with their Quick Detailer spray, can't justify it this time around. I already tested the clay out on the roof during my last wash (waxed by hand after) and don't think it will take me nearly as long to clay the car as i thought it would.

I was considering 2 each of the meg thin DA pads but would I still need an additional finishing pad or isn't that the use for the black pads? And if I go with the Meg pads, does the M205 go on as a compound with the red as well as a polish with the yellow? or will I need 2 additional products to do the job properly? I know I saw someone reccomend M205 since they said the cut really depended on the pad with it.

Honestly I'm way behind on the sealing thing. For years its been over the counter products and drive thru washes and worrying about waxing only a couple times each year (I'm certain my old cars hated me.) For example, I didn't even wash my 2000 black Silverado for a couple of years until i was getting ready to sell it. I used Nufinish on our old van every spring and usually a couple more times over the summer. I'm guessing that stuff was a sealant not a wax. I never did try lighting it on fire like they did in the commercial though. That's one of the things I already threw out since it was ancient and no way would I apply it to either of our current cars. It was separated out and chunky.

This is all prep for the first time using a buffer. I'm not planning on serious correction this time. I'm hoping to see reduction in watermarks, bugs and cobwebs. Am i going to need a specific additional pad care product right away? Or can I get pad cleaners and something more aggressive than the 205 in my next batch of stuff?

maxnukem
05-01-2015, 10:48 AM
About the 2 buckets. I have taken to rinsing my mitt off with the hose before it goes back into the 5 gal soap bucket so none of the removed dirt winds up in my cleaning water. I use a 2nd smaller bucket with just enough water to soak my wheel brush in. I'm using one of the Eagle1 brand wheel cleaner spray bottles at the moment. I start with the wheels now and do them one at a time. I do need to find a better brush though since I have problems getting around the lugs and into the wheel itself, especially around the calipers. High offset tires with a big dirty surface behind the spokes. I used to do wheels last with what was left of my single bucket of soapy water.

mhoran89
05-01-2015, 01:42 PM
About the 2 buckets. I have taken to rinsing my mitt off with the hose before it goes back into the 5 gal soap bucket so none of the removed dirt winds up in my cleaning water. I use a 2nd smaller bucket with just enough water to soak my wheel brush in. I'm using one of the Eagle1 brand wheel cleaner spray bottles at the moment. I start with the wheels now and do them one at a time. I do need to find a better brush though since I have problems getting around the lugs and into the wheel itself, especially around the calipers. High offset tires with a big dirty surface behind the spokes. I used to do wheels last with what was left of my single bucket of soapy water.

Highly recommend these for tight spots on wheels / lug nuts.

AES Industries 10-1/2" Automotive Cleaning Brush w/ Dense Solvent Resistant Hog Hair Bristles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013HJDOI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_2I8qvb0ZGKHKX
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013HJDOI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_2I8qvb0ZGKHKX

As far as whee brushes go, nothing's better than wheel woollies, but they aren't cheap. An older wash mitt (not for paint anymore) will help too.

Corey06
05-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Yeah I love my Arnold prep towel works well feels durable and when fold twice it fits my whole hand. i would guess 25 or so uses till I would want get new one and reassign this towel to wheels or right behind the wheels crap areas.

The Oti-towel works well but when folded twice my ring and middle finger are one knuckle off the towel and same with thumb. I dont see getting more then 10-15 uses out of the towel before reassigning it.

The Nano skins I have not tried they make the sponge ones the wash mitts and the ones for DA. The DA seems like it s more for professionals to speed p the process even more. I wan a sponge as they are cheap and could use that during washes to touch up spots that take a beating instead of waiting till you do the whole car. the mitt looks like nice idea but pice wise to close to the towel and has less working area.

I like the towel as you can fold them to get 4 working surfaces before you need to stop and rinse out the towel well. I keep a bucket of warm NOT HOT water with water less wash and grit guard to rinse the towel in. I leave all 3 mine in the water to soften and lube them. I have the opti in fine and medium grade and arnold in fine grade. I think they have similar value the arnold and nanoskin towels just require a little larger outlay of cash up front, If you are unsure and want try one the opti works well and its only 25 bucks not 50-60. the sponge is cheap but tiny working surface and the mitt is still under half the size of the towels.

Im looking at the speedy surface prep towel, I have read some reviews on people recommending to get the fine grade as the medium is more likely to leave marks on the paint? My truck has a bit of rail dust on it, will the fine grade towel be good enough or would you recommend the medium?