PDA

View Full Version : PAD/Compound aggressiveness

nyjetfan
04-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Hey All - Getting ready to work on a 2004 Ford Expedition over next weekend or two (weather and time dependent) and wanted to get some input on pad/compound combinations. This is my first go with a da polisher to correct paint, so while I'd love to have it look like some of these pro jobs I see, I'm just hoping to be able to see some noticeable improvements in the paint, remove some of the swirls and lessen the look of some scratches (and of course be better than the "hacks" in my area)

I have Pinnacle XMT #1, 2 & 3 (Ultrafine, Fine and Intermediate swirl remover) and 5.5" flat Lake Country pads (Orange, White, Black and Blue).

I have watched the DA and test spot videos and read the articles, and I'm trying to figure out what would be a good starting pad/compound for the first test spot and what would be the most logical steps from there. Any advice or should I start off least aggressive and use the first couple of test spots as "getting to know the DA" and plan on a few to find where I want to be?

Also, for aggressiveness progress, if I were to look at just the orange and white pads with the #1, #2, #3 XMTs would this be the combinations in order of least to most aggressive or how would you rate them?
1 - White pad - XMT #1
2 - Orange pad - XMT #1
3 - White pad - XMT #2
4 - Orange pad - XMT #2
5 - White pad - XMT #3
6 - Orange pad - XMT #3

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2015, 07:54 PM
You're making this too complicated. I haven't used the XMT products, but go with the #3 on an orange pad, and follow with the #2 on a white pad (which is what they show on the product pages). Done.

If it's a dark colored car and you have nothing else to do with your weekend go over it with #1 on a black pad.

nyjetfan
04-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Setec! I think I need to clear time and get moving forward, as the more time I spend thinking about it the more I over complicate it. Will wash, clay, tape things off and start working slowly and carefully with the #3/Orange followed by #2/white. The car is gold/champagne colored so I might skip the #1/black unless I have time to kill - probably will use that to put a coat of he klasse twins on the car, and maybe follow that with a coat of carnauba the next day.

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Skip the #1/black...in fact if you are going to be using KAIO, you might be able to skip the #2/white, and use KAIO/white. Just be careful using KAIO with a machine, you can build up some on panel edges and it's tough to get off, you only need a very small amount.

If you are here in the NYC area, Poorboy's just announced their annual detail weekend in Nyack, NY for the weekend of June 19th. Good way to see a lot of different (Poorboy's) products and different cars and techniques.

nyjetfan
04-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks again for the great info on KAIO. I will see how things look after orange/#3 and decide if I go with #2/white or move directly to KAIO. Appreciate your great insights which I'm sure will help me to get the best results possible. Thanks again Setec, I truly appreciate the way you and many others freely share your knowledge with the newbies such as myself. And I'd love to go check out poor boys, but I live in NC.

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2015, 09:02 PM
And I'd love to go check out poor boys, but I live in NC.

You're welcome, I took a shot at you being in the NYC area with a screen name of "nyjetfan". Oh well.

nyjetfan
04-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks again Setec - I'm originally from NJ (hence a NY Jets fan), so I can see how you made the connection.

Couple of additional questions if someone could help:
1. Using DA on painted bumpers (I have 3 and 3.5" backing plates for my GG along with 4" pads), is this acceptable or am I asking for problems? There is a spot where it was hit/dented so I will avoid that with the DA, but wondering if I can use it for the straight/clean sections?

2. I noticed as part of my arsenal I have a bottle of XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze. It states it contains no abrasives, so can I use this for maintenance or would this glaze remove the Klasse sealer?

Right now my plan is to wash/clay/compound/KAIO/Klasse Sealant followed with a coat of Souveran carnauba wax.

So say 2-3 months after that treatment, would it be alright to do XMT finishing glaze followed by a coat of wax, or would XMT finishing glaze adversely impact the Klasse sealant?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Mike Phillips
04-29-2015, 09:16 AM
You're making this too complicated. I haven't used the XMT products, but go with the #3 on an orange pad, and follow with the #2 on a white pad (which is what they show on the product pages). Done.

That sounds about right.

If it's a dark colored car and you have nothing else to do with your weekend go over it with #1 on a black pad.

That would be a good idea too....

:)

Setec Astronomy
04-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Oh shoot, I'm sorry Mike, sometimes when I hit the "New Posts" button, I don't notice that some of them are in your sub-forum; I always defer to you, especially in your own sub-forum!

I'm glad you agreed with my assessment :o