PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

RicardoLira
04-28-2015, 04:02 PM
I need some advice here! Yesterday I went ahead and shampooed my interior carpet and it smelled awesome! I vacuumed as much water as I could and I also left a fan running all night. This morning on my way to work, my car smelled a bit funky so I decided to leave the windows half way down and went off to work. During my lunch break, I came back to my car and WOW!! It smells like urine inside!! Is this normal after shampooing the interior carpet? Will I have to redo the carpet? Please advise so I can decide what to do with my car...

Ncs0816
04-28-2015, 04:49 PM
You need a carpet extractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LavJordan
04-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Is it a mold or mildew smell? You may have not let the carpets dry. They need curing time after being vacuumed out and a good practice is to leave the doors or windows open for a period of time or over night if possible to let the water evaporate.

Larry A
04-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Another thing you can do is close the windows and turn your heater on full blast. In about a hour and a half your interior will be dry or almost dry. Thats how pro detailers dry interiors fast.

J Cole
04-28-2015, 08:04 PM
I need some advice here! Yesterday I went ahead and shampooed my interior carpet and it smelled awesome! I vacuumed as much water as I could and I also left a fan running all night. This morning on my way to work, my car smelled a bit funky so I decided to leave the windows half way down and went off to work. During my lunch break, I came back to my car and WOW!! It smells like urine inside!! Is this normal after shampooing the interior carpet? Will I have to redo the carpet? Please advise so I can decide what to do with my car...

Have you uh... peed in your car before? :confused: hahaha

I'd second using an extractor. I'd rent one and use that to give the carpets another quick clean and get rid of most of the water. A vacuum doesn't usually work too well at sucking up water out of carpets.

Also is it muggy where you live? If it's humid then you'll need to allow even more time for drying with a fan of some sort.

LavJordan
04-29-2015, 01:23 AM
Walmart and safeway have the rug doctor heavy duty extractor that works really well. I dont think it is heated though so fill with hot water. 29.99 a day.

eich
04-29-2015, 08:45 AM
I will firmly towel dry the carpet with a microfiber after vacuuming, and if time is of the essence, mist it with 90 percent isopropyl alcohol to enhance evaporation.

Even then, more air drying is necessary.

The wettest, most ridiculously negligent and incomplete interior detail I got (before I knew better) most certainly involved a crew of guys who rapidly zipped an extractor across everything.

Elbow grease and personal attention is better. Go figure.

CDot
04-29-2015, 10:28 AM
To the OP: What chemical did you use to shampoo your carpet? And what was your process?

Just curious, I've been nervous about doing mine myself because I don't own an extractor. I know you can do so without one, but it seems pretty labor-intensive.

RicardoLira
04-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Hey well today the smell has almost gone away! I left my car in the garage with all windows down and 2 fans blowing as well. I'm guessing that it just wasn't dry enough, as some of you guys stated! If I press my nose against the carpet, I still get a slight whiff of urine so I am hoping that will also go away within a day or so....I'm working on saving for an extractor but its currently not in the budget.....does anyone recommend a good extractor?

LavJordan
04-29-2015, 12:19 PM
I use a little green machine ☺

jonn127
04-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Car on full heat, AC turned on and recirculate, drys them out pretty quickly.

Ncs0816
04-29-2015, 02:07 PM
I use a little green machine [emoji5]

This is a waste of money

VP Mark
04-29-2015, 03:24 PM
This is a waste of money

Nonesense. Those not doing volume have great results with it. A steam cleaner in the right hands will blow an extractor away 90% of the time anyway.

Ncs0816
04-29-2015, 03:44 PM
A steam cleaner cannot extract dirt from a carpet. You can only simply wipe it away. It would take forever to steam clean a carpet

FinishingTouchA
04-29-2015, 04:36 PM
I have had a vx5000 for 2 years in my detailing business. It did the job I needed to but ever since I got my mytee spyder and tornador with apc my 1k steamer has sat on a shelf. Like the previous poster said, you can't extract dirt from carpet with a steamer. Unless you're dealing with well maintained vehicles all day a steamer can't compete with chemicals, liquid, and lots of water lift.