PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in steam cleaner

Hookee
04-28-2015, 03:20 PM
I've been a long time lurker here, and I am just an enthusiast detailer. Sometimes I pickup a few jobs here and then from family friends and coworkers etc.

I recently purchased a McCulloch MC1385 from Amazon. I watched many of Larry Kosilla's videos on Youtube about using a steam cleaner for the interior, and was blown away. I understand that he uses the VX 5000 and has a price tag around $800. I just feel like the McCulloch doesnt perform in my opinion. Is there that big of an improvement from the McCulloch to a premium steamer like the VX-5000 or the Dupray Tosca? I mainly only get to detail during the weekends, so time is money for me.

Your thoughts?

af90
04-28-2015, 03:33 PM
What was disappointing about it?

Did you let it correctly get up to pressure before using it?

Hookee
04-28-2015, 03:38 PM
The steamer was sold as a 4 bar steamer, and as soon as you start steaming with it drops down to 2, or sometimes even lower if you use it constantly. As far as being able to clean it just felt like it was lacking power, or more like the pressure to blast the dirt away. I felt like i was just holding a clothing steamer to stuff and eventually it would just get moist and you could wipe up the dirt eventually. Seems like spraying with an APC and wiping with a rag cleans faster. I was able to pickup dirt with rags over the steamer with the triangle attachment, and that worked well. But as far as using the single hole tip on door jambs, engine, interior vents just felt like it was lacking majorly in pressure to blast or move any dirt away.

zmcgovern45
04-28-2015, 04:33 PM
The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind with these types of machines... it will work, but it certainly isn't up to par with a professional grade machine.

I've had my McCulloch steamer for a couple of years now... I just used it to clean my very greasy, grimy bbq grill last weekend... with the help of some degreaser, it made its way through some heavy stuff, but it certainly isn't any quicker than scrubbing with a brush would have been.

In all honesty, my wife uses it more around the house for mopping and stuff than I do for cars. If I did much interior work I would break down and buy one capable of some serious cleaning.

ryandamartini
04-28-2015, 04:39 PM
The get what you pay for is quite alive in steamers. Anything under $700 is meh.

Hookee
04-28-2015, 04:43 PM
I wish there were move videos on Youtube with the VX 5000, using it around the house, and in vehicles.

poweraid
04-28-2015, 05:24 PM
i posted similar question this morn . I currently use the 1375 . and I just wanted to have a better machine . I decided and ordered the vx5000 . it was between the vx - dupray tosca , dupray hill injection .

LavJordan
04-28-2015, 05:40 PM
I personally really like mine and its the same exact model as you described. Did you try the method of wrapping a cloth around the triangle nozzle and scrubbing that way?